Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the little woman and I were in 'Witte Vlek', her 1984 White Supra, returning from picking up parts in Point Roberts in the USA (Hey, what's more Canadian than celebrating Canada Day by taking our Japanese car to the USA, eh?).

We are in the line waiting to cross through customs back into Canada when a car in an adjacent lane opens it's door and a guy gets out and runs away from customs! I'm thinking, wow, a terrorist about to get caught. Well, he runs back 20 feet and picks up a Canadian flag that had fallen off one of these stick on flag holders. He runs back and gets in his car. Anyways, the car is quite good looking. It's BRIGHT red and pretty sexy.

We continue on through the border and stop at a shopping mall to pick up some wobbly pops for Canada Day and lo and behold, there is the same car. I pull up close behind it and it's a Lexus LC 500. They guy is out on his hands and knees rubbing where the flag hit the side of the car. It was awesome because even though the guy had big bucks to buy one of these, he obviously was a real car lover!

I had a chance to look at the car, and even though I'm no lover of modern shapes, this is a seriously good looking car.
I hear it's pretty hefty at 4,300 pounds with 470hp and a 10 speed automatic.

I don't think it's a real sports car, but it sure likes a glorious GT car.

Sexy Ass

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2018-lexus-lc-500-first-drive/
Overview

Toyota, way to go.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree man, that is one of the better looking cars of this era; odds are will be still be one of the cars people desire even 30 years later.

As for how much it weighs, its the unfortunate cost of doing business. Safety features, crash standards, and most folks buying a lexus want all the luxury features as well. The net result is a heavy car.

·
Super Moderator
8,160 Posts
I kind of think this car is going to be like the last SC430. First couple of years looks awesome and doesn't age well from there. Personally I hate that black c-pillar thing they are doing on new cars. The back is really soft looking on these IMO with the droopy taillights.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
O Shit handles for the passenger like the Vette. Looks good to me

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Nah, I think this thing's looks will stand the test of time. The sc430 was never really that pretty lol.

Very much like these, but too bad about the pork. This is why Toyota isn't building the next Supra. When their 2 door lexus platform is north of 4k lbs, there's no room for sharing the platform with a true sports car. Which is a shame, because in many ways this car is the modern equivalent to the SC400\300, which of course shared a platform with the Supra. Still wish Toyota had just gotten their shit together and come up with their own lightweight platform that was suitable. Modify the IS one or something.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, you do realize of course, that there is only one car designer in the world. He comes up with a design, and then everyone else shamelessly copies it

Lexus

Chevrolet

More than a little derivative I'd say.
The droopy eyelid look?

A customized version of the LC 500 with simplified detailing would look a lot more elegant to my old fashioned eye.

I think all modern cars have far too much surface detail. The Corvette is a prime example of overdone. I guess they were forced to hire the designers from Pontiac Division when they went under. Whoops. Sorry GM fans. - That's a cheap shot from a guy who leans to Ford. You can joke back at me there. I deserve that.

In interests of equal time, Ford has more than their share of stinkers too.

Ford GT.

Excuse me sir, my child/dog/cat/badger is stuck in your tunnel. Can you get him out? Obviously a car designer who has never parked a car outside.
Dear lord, what were they thinking?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The new ford GT can do no wrong IMO. Function all the way. Less drag by slimming the rear down like that. Hell they integrated a roll bar into the thing so you can take it straight to the track.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Ha ha Dale. I think you're going to be fighting an uphill battle if you keep knocking the new Ford GT lol. Most people seem to think its one of the few truly original designs from the last decade or so, I happen to agree. And I am certainly not a ford fan.

Actually I always felt that the new Vette in almost every way was a response to the current Nissan GTR. That last GTR totally turned the table on the performance heavyweights of the world. From its ground breaking transmission, to its pavement sucking AWD with fancy electronics that makes heros of mice, to its polarizing styling. That car has shaken things up at its competitors around the world. Nowhere more so then in the new Vette IMO. Besides the big jump in electronic aids and tech that the new car has out of the box, the styling to me looks exactly like they took the C6 and GTRed it. Hard lines, awkward angles in odd places and functional vents and scoops everywhere, I consider the c7 styled by Nissan lol. Though, I kinda like it. The c6 was just a subtle restyling of the c5, both of which look a little tame for the exotic car perf these cars were putting out. I feel the new vette really got the styling shot in the arm the car needed to be taken seriously as the exotic it has become. Too bad the new Z06 is overpowered, its still losing track comparisons to the GTR because it has way too much power for even its huge 305s. Most of the pro drivers are of the opinion it would pull faster lap times if they dialed it back a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts