Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Lexus V8 swap

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Junkie 
#1 ·
This really doesn't fit into either of the engine swap categories on the forum, and it's not a swap into a Mk2 - but I thought this was cool as hell regardless:

http://www.vss.com.au/supra/pics.html

I wouldn't mind owning that car...nicely done!

___

#4 ·
quick said:
Looks nice, but it's only putting down 199rwhp. :(

Why even bother if you'd make less power than with the 7M-GTE?
I agree but I wonder what the torque is? The V8 4Runner only makes about 10 more hp than the V6 but the torque is up almost 100 ftlbs! Just shows with enough bucks anything is possible.

#5 ·
I would be really suprised if it's putting down that much torque.
Regardless it would be interesting to see a dyno chart... if the torque dies off that quick (such that it makes low hp) then it's not that interesting of a motor to me IMO. That's truck-style. :)

V8's are cool, but I prefer a fast car to one that must have a V8.

#6 ·
a supra built to tow your other supra?

#11 ·
Not sure if Chris calculated it in, but that dyno was done "Down Under", which uses a dyno that reads 15% or so lower than the dynos here in the States. So it might be closer to 225-230 rwhp over here.....still a lot less than what you would expect.

#12 ·
82Spearco said:
Not sure if Chris calculated it in, but that dyno was done "Down Under", which uses a dyno that reads 15% or so lower than the dynos here in the States. So it might be closer to 225-230 rwhp over here.....still a lot less than what you would expect.
It's impossible to know how much of a difference those dynos have from US dynos... it's more about the mechanism they use to compare whp. You're right though...

#13 ·
quick said:
82Spearco said:
It's impossible to know how much of a difference those dynos have from US dynos... it's more about the mechanism they use to compare whp. You're right though...
You give me Hell about the Dyno Dynamics dynamometer discrepancy, and he's "right though.." ?

:dancin: :dancin: :dancin: :dancin:

#15 ·
Chris, I hope you are going to Vegas....I would really like to meet you in person. Later 8)

#16 ·
82Spearco said:
Chris, I hope you are going to Vegas....I would really like to meet you in person. Later 8)
Ahh-He's just a punk with an attitude :lol: :wink:

It was great to actualy talk to him for more than 5 minutes this weekend. 8)

#17 ·
well, if you guys realllly wanna find out how much power one of those 4 liter lexus engines puts down, go search google for gs400/ls400/sc400 dyno results.

IIRC, they usually put down something like 230 rwhp, and similar or stronger torque curves... in stock form.
apparently the exhaust manifolds on those engines are very very restrictive, and with a cold air intake, headers and a dual 2.5 exhaust your looking at 280-300 rwhp and 310-330 lbft.
my recollection of the numbers might be slightly off, but i remember a guy with a gs400 in my city who did those mods and posted the numbers, ill try to find his site.

id personally love a 1uz powered supra, but i know id get in so much trouble, im already speeding way too much with the 5m. :D

#18 ·
Is it wrong that that car makes me want to.......ah..........um, how do I say it here..........never mind! Good looking MKIII! Needs a S/C though. I don't know how many times I thought I should have put a SBC into my MKI.

#19 ·
Junkie said:
82Spearco said:

Alas I won't be able to make it to Vegas. Things are a little crazy in all aspects of life right now and an expensive trip is out of the question.

It was good to hang out with you as well, Shawn. I didn't realize I had that much of an attitude... ;)

#20 ·
quick said:
Junkie said:
82Spearco said:

Alas I won't be able to make it to Vegas. Things are a little crazy in all aspects of life right now and an expensive trip is out of the question.

It was good to hang out with you as well, Shawn. I didn't realize I had that much of an attitude... ;)
Personaly,I like your attitude :wink: Gonna have to go have a few beers and pic on rice biys one day soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.