Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my lights not working. Replaced the headlight switch, nothing. Replaced the relay under the hood, nothing. I have brake lights, turn signals, and nothing else. Any ideas how to fix this, it's really dark at night!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All fuses are good. High beams don't work nothing. Turn the lights on they go up(not on) turn them off they go down. They go up and down fine they just don't come on. no parking lights no tail lights no dash lights? I'm at a loss.....Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm running out of parts to replace.

·
Registered
991 Posts
tully said:
All fuses are good. High beams don't work nothing. Turn the lights on they go up(not on) turn them off they go down. They go up and down fine they just don't come on. no parking lights no tail lights no dash lights? I'm at a loss.....Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm running out of parts to replace.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but no headlights and no tail lights, isn't this the little box behind the tail lights? Seems like I remember someone saying it is yellow? Could that be the bugger causing the problem?

Leslie

·
Registered
991 Posts
Don't know how much this will help you out but according to the tsrm the common points with headlights and tail lights would be fusible link blown, light control switch faulty and wiring or ground faulty.

fusible links are easy to check. faulty ground in the lighting circuit should be easy to check and trace. Section BE in the tsrm will give you lots of places to look.

Leslie

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dean is correct I had the same problem, the headlight relay is with 4 others (3 if you have no alarm) quite expensive through toyota, try to find one out of a supra with no sunroof or a celica gts will work also.
Brian-who was without headlights for almost a year before he found a good relay- :oops:
edit :mad: crap I didnt read all of the posts
Check the wires that come off the positive side of the battery one of mine came off once and I had no lights HTH

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Dean said:
Please give details about your car. Is it an 85 or 86 Supra? Or is this your 85 Celica GTS convertible? Does it have an alarm? If so, check out my response on another thread... http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2824
Maybe the 85 Celica GTS and 85 Supra have similar factory alarm systems.
Dean,
Could that same relay be the culprit of headlights that turn on but don't pop up? Mine suddenly started to do this, yet it has only sat in my garage for the last year. While I had the interior stripped (most still is) I swapped out the retract relay behind the guages and the relay in the engine bay. No luck, same problem. Tested both for continuity and both passed their physical. Found only older MKII's in the yard that didn't have a relay behind the quarter panel (maybe it's located somewhere else on early models but I don't know where). Pulled the relay from my 85 GTS, put it in the MKII, then the ligths would neither pop up nor light. Tested the stalk switch in both cars and that worked fine. Pulled the GTS relay and replaced with the original and lights are back to lighting but still not extending.

I've looked thru the electric manual so many times and traced all the grounds and hot wires but all seem to be in order. Does this sound like it could also be that one darn relay behind the quarter panel? Need to find a few. Or possibly a broken wire somewhere in the line?

Blinded by the light.
Scott

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Scott:

It could still be related to those relays, but check out these other things first. By the way, only 85 and 86 Supras had those relays, they are only there due to the alarm system.

Two other things to check...
1. Fuse marked as HEAD (RTR) on the drivers side kick panel. It controls the retract motors. If this is burned out, lights will come on but not pop up.
2. Fusible links, just off the pos battery terminal. There is one wire there that seems to be very susceptible to getting broken (I've known at least three Mk2's where it happened) and it controls only the headlights. If this is burned out or broken, lights won't come on, but they may still pop up, unsure of that.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks Dean! I "believe" I've checked the fuses on the drivers side. Checked so many things I can't quite remember at this point. The fusible links on the batt. cable (the loop off the white harness and the two inside the square, black box?). Visually checked them and previously tried wiggling the wires on the positive cable thinking maybe a broken wire will make intermittent contact. Checked the two links in the junction box, both were fine, but haven't checked those from the battery, will do that. Will pull the wires and check for continuity there and to the fuse box.

I had swapped out that harness at the battery a few months ago, mine was melted from battery acid. Even though it was melted all worked well. I may have, unknowingly, swapped in a faulty harness or broke the wire(s).

Thanks for the tips.

Will work for beer.
Scott

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My friend traced the problem to a "headlight retainer relay" which controls headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights. This is the culprit. and as soon as I locate it in the car, problem solved. supposed to be in driver rear side panel. Tore the car apart, can't find it. Maybe different location in the convertible?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
to all you folks with non popping pop ups, have you tried to hand crank the lights up with the lil knobs?

i noticed on mine, one of the cam shaped levers was loose, and spun on the motor shaft, hence, the light would usually be down when it was supposed to be up.

i tightened up the nut on both sides, and both were loose, its possible this is the problem on cars where a light wont pop up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts