Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Okay to update this thread , I got another 5m , this one is out of a 85 Supra p type. Engine is complete and was running when pulled and had cylinder head rebuilt a year ago.

I’m getting ready to order gaskets and such to reseal and get this engine ready to swap in. and I’ve been doing research on what needs to be swapped over. Anybody got time to answer questions? I just want to make sure I got this right haha

I see that I need to swap over the intake manifold apparently so this can work with my 82 ecu and harness.

Alternator and belt drive is different.

So what can I do about the alternator since the belt drive is different ? Can I swap crank pulleys ? Do I swap over mounting brackets ?

And when I order gaskets , do I order intake and exhaust manifold gaskets for an 82 5m or for a 85 5m ? I know that there was some changes throughout the years and I want to get this right.

Any help is very much appreciated 👍🏽

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Yes you can swap main harmonic balancer pulleys. I would swap alt & mount , as the charging sys is different.
To be noted: the 82 has square tooth for timing belt and the 4 pulleys (crank, oil pump, in/out camshaft) can all also all be swapped to the round belt/pulleys - but I woukd leave square 82 to go with the car OE.
The main difference in the gasket is the one between intake runners and intake chamber (where it's cast EFI). The 85 has a D shape openings, while previous have O shape. Since you should keep the 82 intake, go with O, 82. Under that runner, the 85 will have a Knock sensor that you have no use with the 82 harness/ECU.
HTH.

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
I would just use the newer alternator and change the 3 prong plug in the car.

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Would that cause any issues ? If not , than I’d think this would be a easier route to take instead right ?
Yes with a charge light, but it's an easy fix

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sick , so the only swapping I have to do now
Is mostly everything from the intake side. Thank you.
Will keep updating as I go. Can’t wait to get this back on the road!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts