Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestions , I really do appreciate it.
Okay update , I gave those excellent suggestions a try-
As of now I have,
-Replaced fan clutch because old one was really weak
-Removed rear heater hose behind cylinder 6 and poured coolant into system till it poured
-Removed new thermostat and put into hot water to verify that it does open. reinstalled same thermostat.
-adjusted ignition timing to spec on 82 5mge engine manual just to rule out that the timing might of had caused the engine to run hot.
-have tried pumping hoses to try and clear any stubborn air bubble.

As of now it Still runs hot , I still need to pick up that coolant funnel and a temp gun to verify it’s not just a iffy gauge or a stubborn air bubble.
Only thing that comes to mind is that I installed the 85 temp sensor onto this engine because I had broken the original 82 sensor when swapping engines. Not sure if there’s any difference between the two.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I won’t lie , it’s pretty frustrating dealing with these type of issues but man is this car cool haha , really hope to get it dialed in soon

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
More updates for you my friends.
went and bought a coolant funnel and a temp gun.
Ran the car for a while Bleeding and without a doubt there is still a lot of bubbles in the system. I actually had the car running longer then I ever have before , probably a good ten minutes. Lots of air bubbles were rising during that time.
But eventually the temp went past the half mark and I didn’t want to risk running this engine hot so I shut it off.
These were the readings I got when I had barely shut the engine off.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Okay , that funnel helped a bunch , I have never ran this car this much. I just ran it for 35 minutes , I ended up shutting the car off because I didn’t want to drain the battery. I still need to wire the 85 alternator into the 82 harness. But I turned the heater on and it finally got hot and the temp never got crazy high. Only thing is it appears to be slightly above the half mark. Here’s a pic. What do you guys think ? View attachment 17897

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Can anyone help please , I installed the 85 alt , wired the plug according to the faq on this site and the alt isn’t charging the battery

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nevermind , got it working , it’s been a long day haha. Next is addressing my cooling system issues!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Rookie mistake , Had mixed up the L and ig wires. My fault for not double checking the diagram.
Verified with multimeter and alternator is charging now , was getting a little over 13v and idle.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts