Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I've been a member of this forum since the good ole days back in the early 2000's or at least have lurked since then. I've been out of the Mk2 game since 2010 when I sold my 83 white with almost mint Terra Cotta interior.

When I sold it, I thought it was officially the end of me owning Supra's, and if I did ever own one again it would need to meet a strict list of requirements. I'm sure most of you know what those are, as I was not willing to go on the never ending quest to aquire discontinued parts or fixing a rusty hatch.

Over last 5 years I got really into e30 BMW's, and still own an 87 sedan with a 3 liter stroker, suspension, and steering mods that's an absolute blast to drive! However, the Supra bug started to creep it's way back in.

I've owned 8 or 9 mk2's so when considering what to do next I heavily contemplated buying what would be my first mk3... Something about a turbo, targa top and driving with the wife on a nice sunny day with the top off almost convinced me to do it. So I went on the craigslist hunt and to my surprise found a really nice '90 turbo mk3 that checked all the boxes. Red exterior, gray leather interior, service records, non saggy stance, with just over 100k miles, and only 3 hours away from me. When I spoke to the owner I sort of got the feeling like this isn't someone I want to deal with, but the car was nice and I was gonna go for it!

After a few conversations plans were made and I was going to pick the car up that weekend when off from work. The guy calls me a day before the trip and says that he's garnered interest in the car so if I wasn't willing to pay over asking price he wouldn't sell to me. What a joke... Long story short the deal didn't happen. So I'm now back on my quest.

So that same weekend that I was to pick up the mk3 I'm laying in bed and decide to just casually browse craigslist. Of course it had to be within driving distance for me. 6 hours each way max. I stumbled upon Pittsburgh craigslist and find a very obscure ad that didn't have a phone number or pictures but read... "38k miles, 2.8 inline 6, original owner, all service records, serious inquiries only". I've had luck with ads like this in the past. It usually tells me it's fake, or it's someone who doesn't have time to deal with possible tire kickers and joy riders. Anyway, I emailed the ad and low and behold I got a response! With pictures and a phone number to call! The pictures fit my criteria... I couldn't believe that I found this car and couldn't sleep that night. I called the owner the next morning, he was an awesome guy and could tell I was very serious. He'd mentioned that he's put the vehicle for sale on and off over the last 8 years and got limited interest.

Given his limited details I'm not surprised it didn't sell, but I am surprised interested buyers who saw the car didn't jump on this thing. So we agreed that I would drive out and see the car the following week (yesterday). I packed my car up, pick my Brother up, and bring a bag of cash, and new tires (16 year old Michelins had to go before the drive back) and off to Pittsburgh we go.

After a 5 plus hour drive from Indianapolis We met at a tire place in Pittsburgh where I saw the car and confirmed everything I saw in the pictures.

The car is an '83 blue exterior that hasn't seen rain or snow... the paint shines! mint blue interior he kept towels on the seat and over the center console lid so they wouldn't wear. No sunroof super mint headliner, the sun visors appear as if they never blocked the sun, clean hatch, clean spare wheel area, and the car ran so smooth! It was his first car and he was obsessive about keeping it clean and maintained. He had every single service record going back to 1983! Color me impressed. I purchased the car without even taking a test drive. Just checked all the rust prone areas and we made a deal.

Enough of my long winded story. Here are some "best I could do" cell phone pics. Pictures do not do it justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'll get better pictures up soon. I have to clean her up and take pictures with a better camera. I guess some 83's still carried over the 85mph speedo? The build date for this one is April of '83. If someone can chime in on that I'd appreciate it.

My plans for her so far are just to clean her up. Possibly paint the discolored interior bits with SEM shadow blue. (No rush as the interior is still mint and it's a big project), detail the engine bay, and fix the sloppy shifter with the Billy M kit. I'm not sure I ever intended spending what I did on an Mk2 but I think I got in with a good one while they're still some what affordable.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That is a huge score. The hardtops are rare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts