Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am wondering if I need longer wheel studs if I get aftermarket wheels. If I do, what length do I need and where can I get them from?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
longer studs are needed if you run a 7 to 10mm wheel spacer. Longer studs are cheap and easy to come by, the ones in mid 80s toyota trucks are almost a straight drop in. They're identical except they're 7mms longer and the splines are a touch longer then needed and need to be filed or grinded down to match. Heres a pic...

http://www.pbase.com/image/6803125

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Toyota Land Cruiser studs are about 3/8" of an inch longer (pn#90942-02052). If you get proper fitting wheels you shouldn't need longer studs. You'll probably have to buy new lug nuts. Especially if you are still on factory wheels.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
do NOT buy those from toyota, the landcrusier studs are the same ones as I was talking about (they're used in many of the trucks as well). I discovered that they were the right size with the help of a friend at Toyota. So I ordered 16 of them then and there because I made the classic mistake, how much could a bolt possibly cost from toyota? Well 80 bucks later I found out when they arrived. They were special ordered too so my friend would have gotten in trouble if I didn't buy them. Most studs at an auto parts stores go for a buck or two, get them there. My friend gave me them at pretty much the dealers cost and they were still over 5 bucks each, list was over 8 (keep in mind these are all cdn dollar figures, though these days that isn't as much a difference as it used to be).

·
Registered
392 Posts
what year landcruiser should the studs be ordered for?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Sorry to kick this back into play but Ill be needing studs for my rears as the rewinds at 0 offset make the wheel look like there too far inside.

So if anyone can give me a part number for like auto zone or parts america.

Thx and Ill look into it on my end as well.

PS. I may need them longer!!! :mofomad:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Some good info on this old thread, so I just wanted to add to it.

I'm planning to replace my factory wheel studs with longer units, and wondered if anyone has tried freezing the new studs prior to install into the hub. Thinking that the lower temp of the new studs might make it easier to install. Also, wondering if heating up the hub mounting surface with a propane torch might help too.

I've changed a few studs before, just bang them out with a sledge, and pull in the new studs with a big lug nut and some washers. Seemed to work ok, but I'm always looking for a better or easier way. Will be changing out all 16 studs, so ease is good!

Thanks!

Don L.
'84 Supra

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Wow I never ended up doing this. I have a new wheel stud from Toyota now and Ive been doing comparisons for matches.

This might be able to help those that can make sence out of these numbers. And if anyone can let me know so I can go get mine as well.

ARP long wheel stud set of 5

·
Registered
930 Posts
Don L. said:
I've changed a few studs before, just bang them out with a sledge, and pull in the new studs with a big lug nut and some washers. Seemed to work ok, but I'm always looking for a better or easier way. Will be changing out all 16 studs, so ease is good!

Thanks!

Don L.
'84 Supra
This is the way we've always done it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to freeze the lugs, but if you heat the hub you risk melting the seal, if you haven't removed it.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The second link is 3" long. The first link is 2 7/8". Both use 1/2-20 threads, unlike our cars which use metric M12-1.5 threads. Is that what you wanted to know?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts