Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some decent brands for shift knobs? I've of course seen Razo and Momo, but they're kinda pricey. I'm looking for something with a red and black color scheme, sort of like the Momo Combat series. I can't stand the "ball" shift knobs (except for the 8-ball shifter in my truck - it's mandatory! ;) ).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have seen a nice TRD shift knob on Ebay for around $50 a couple of times. It is black with the red, white and black TRD logo down the side. That is the one I want, it is very nice!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Well...

They may be pricey, but I like the feel of my leather Momo shift knob. I bought it to go with my leather Momo wheel. :wink:

Whatever you choose, make sure it fits your hand - a crappy shifter knob is sorta like going out with a girl who has no ass.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Most of the shift knobs I see are taller than the stock knobs. Most stick up too far once you get them installed.

I ended up going to the "RICE" section of my local auto store and got an imitation carbon fiber knob untill I can find a sutable replacement.

If I cant find one before the baxters meet I will put on my stock leather knob.

:oops:

I sent that ebay seller a question asking how tall that TRD knob is. I would love one if it wouldnt look funney.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That thing about the shifter knob and going out with a girl with no ass....

That's the funniest thing I've heard today. And it's true.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I bought one, so when I get it, I will compare to the stock knob.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
i think my buddy and i are going to use a leather one out of a hyundai tiburon that my dad gave me.

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
Guys I have a TRD shift knob in my 86 fits your hand very nicely stock hieght. I have bought parts from that seller on eBay good dealings to date.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya know, those TRD knobs do look pretty good - but I just have a problem with putting stickers/logos on the car from companies that don't even make parts for my car :wink: Call me crazy... I guess it's just a personal call.

I forgot to mention - height is no problem, I've cut about 4" off the stock shift height. If it's a sleeve type shifter, I can raise or lower it to suit. If it's a thread on, I think I need the 10mm threaded type. Stock is 12mm, but I basically just removed the chromed piece and threaded what was left. Works great!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another quick question - I see a lot of fuss being made over shift knob weight. Does this really contribute to the feel of the shift? I've seen some Razo knobs (I think) that were up to 400 grams. Seems heavy! Same model was offered in 2 other weights, so there must be some sort of tangible difference!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Chad,

EBay link w/ TRD knob.

NICE Find!!!! That's the the TRD Japan knob & the price listed is actually LOWER than the price that Jeff Watson sells them for (he has them stocked @ Jay Marks & he sells them for ~$63 something I believe). Good job!!! :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have a round ball style...it is solid aluminum-silver with blue anno. It is a vibrant item. I bought it because it matches all my type r and type s interior parts 8) (go ahead and flame but the car had cow seat covers when I got it and I couldnt stand them :lol: )

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went with the mk3 knob, fits MY hand perfectly. a bit smaller than stock

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
I have the TRD knob in both of my cars. Looks and feels great.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Momo but the short one. I've liked it since day one. Probably get another one.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I have an aluminum one........IT SUCKS :x :mad: It gets too freakin hot

1 - 20 of 28 Posts