Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa
I'm new to this forum so hi everyone. I'm the very proud owner of a 1982 Celica Supra MK2 L-type (pics attached), which I acquired from a retired gentleman upcountry about 6 years ago with only 83000km on the clock. She is incredibly pristine and original, but the dry upcountry air took its toll on some of the plastic and rubber trims. I've managed to find most replacements but still looking for the quarter glass mouldings (bottom strips) and the top strip moulding for the front windscreen. Any leads or repair tips would be hugely appreciated as getting anything for a "grey import" vehicle in these parts is extremely difficult. Best, Gary
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Vehicle Car Seat belt Window Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Super Moderator
7,828 Posts
Wow! 😍

That car was certainly covered most of it's life to still be in this condition after 40 years!

As for the moldings, you are not alone looking for replacements, but they are very rare.
An alternative is to paint them. You need to remove them in order to clean them down to the stainless that is the core of them. Then, making sure the surface is a bit ruff for the primer and paint to properly stick to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! 😍

That car was certainly covered most of it's life to still be in this condition after 40 years!

As for the moldings, you are not alone looking for replacements, but they are very rare.
An alternative is to paint them. You need to remove them in order to clean them down to the stainless that is the core of them. Then, making sure the surface is a bit ruff for the primer and paint to properly stick to.
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your guidance on the painting. I suspected that paint or maybe a vinyl wrap might be the route to go. All the best

·
Registered
350 Posts
Concerning the mouldings. It's maybe 20 yrs ago that I got the (presumably) last front window mouldings available in Germany. They were partly missing on my car when I bought it.

The plastic covering of the mouldings of the hatch glass was breaking apart, and I painted it with a rubbery stuff called "Plasti-Dip". I believe it is no longer available here, and meanwhile it is dissolving slowly, damn UV. I didn't remove the moldings for repainting. Taped the edges, sanded them down, cleaned and painted them. For a year or two it looked very godd, nearly stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Concerning the mouldings. It's maybe 20 yrs ago that I got the (presumably) last front window mouldings available in Germany. They were partly missing on my car when I bought it.

The plastic covering of the mouldings of the hatch glass was breaking apart, and I painted it with a rubbery stuff called "Plasti-Dip". I believe it is no longer available here, and meanwhile it is dissolving slowly, damn UV. I didn't remove the moldings for repainting. Taped the edges, sanded them down, cleaned and painted them. For a year or two it looked very godd, nearly stock.
Thanks again Zoe. Investigating all options given the general lack/shortage of replacement parts for the Mk2. "Good" to know that I'm not alone ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Gary,

Hello from New Jersey, USA. My wife and I were in your country in 2018, and enjoyed it immensely. Wonderful people. I wonder what happened to your windshield molding? Kind of an odd part to go missing. I restored my car a few years ago, and was able to get new windshield molding parts at that time. Of course, I saved the old parts. I would be glad to send you the top molding part for the cost of shipping to South Africa. Do you also need the corner pieces? Do you have the clips that hold the molding on? I believe I have extras, but will have to look for them.

Let me know what your needs are.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gary,

Hello from New Jersey, USA. My wife and I were in your country in 2018, and enjoyed it immensely. Wonderful people. I wonder what happened to your windshield molding? Kind of an odd part to go missing. I restored my car a few years ago, and was able to get new windshield molding parts at that time. Of course, I saved the old parts. I would be glad to send you the top molding part for the cost of shipping to South Africa. Do you also need the corner pieces? Do you have the clips that hold the molding on? I believe I have extras, but will have to look for them.

Let me know what your needs are.

Bob
Greetings Bob
We are truly blessed by the accessibility to the natural beauty that surrounds us in the Cape. I'm pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to come for a visit. It's a long journey but as you know, worth it.
Thank you for reaching out and for your incredibly generous offer. The black plastic windshield top mounding must have been slightly cracked - as mentioned in my intro, she was an upcountry car and endured the dry Highveld climate, which can take its toll on plastic and rubbers. Unfortunately in the wrong hands, this strip was partially power-hosed off. Totally my fault for being 'lazy' in deciding to make use of a local car wash. First time and never again. I carefully removed what was left so there is currently just a silver metal trim revealed. Corners and everything else are in place. I'm not sure what the clips look like as there was no sign of anything like this. Whatever you have would be very much appreciated and I'll gladly pay.
BTW, your red P-Type looks incredible.
Have a wonderful Sunday.
Best, Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts