Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Yeah, I already reached out to the guy in Washington. He has an EBay auction going on it along with an ad on CL. He's hoping to get around $12K.

I test drove 2 this weekend an 82 L-Type in Oakland, CA ($3,999 on cars.com). Ugh... drove ok, clutch was smooth, suspension ok, a tiny bit sloppy, but not bad for a 37 year old car... but it has an older, cheap repaint (looks like it was done by a high school kid using a broom), tired tired tired cosmetics, cracked dash, yadda yadda yadda... going run from that one.

Looked at a 1985 P-Type in Palo Alto. Lots of deferred maintenance to address, but the car is SOLID. No rust, no dents, interior could benefit from a good detail, but the dash is crack free, all the electronics work, drives way better than the 82... has the full size spare with the Dunlop tire on it still.... seller offered it to me at a very favorable price ($2K) The car has an automatic. It shifts smoothly but it has a very direct (almost bolt action) engagement when shifting from park to reverse/drive or from drive to reverse and reverse to drive... like I said, though, it shifts through the gears without issue...no slipping, clunking, grinding, ....

I will likely do a PPI on it, just to see if there are any surprises. It will need a timing belt, water pump, hoses, and belts (pretty much anything made from rubber). The weatherstripping is still in good shape and there is no rust in the rear hatch area or in the spare tire well. So it's a solid car that can be made into a nice driver quality car, which is what I am looking for.

The car in Oregon (1984 L-Type) doesn't have the original smog equipment, but it is in wayyyyyy better shape. So I suppose I can swap the exhaust system from the 85 over to the 84... uh oh, I think I am developing Supra Acquisition Syndrome. Is the exhaust system the same for the two years?

Thanks for all of your advice!

Gary B

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That car in Washington is making my antennae twitch. If you look at the car fax on it, it was driven 113K miles in the first 5 years. On Carfax it shows another odometer reading of 123K a year later (1992). The seller states the car has 113K miles on it. So it had the wheels driven off of it for 6 years and then it was never driven again? WTH?

In 1991 the Oregon motor vehicle dept issued a branded title stating the mileage exceeded the mechanical limits. But a Supra has a 6 digit odometer, so that shouldn't happen...not for a long time at least.

Another thing that is confusing to me is that the car is in Excellent shape, with minimal wear. I am sorry, but a car that was driven 123K miles in the first 6 years of its life would likely not look quite so pristine. Plus the seller is showing an odometer picture with 114K on it. Did he replace the instrument cluster???

Finally, the seller created both a Craigslist ad and an EBay auction about 2 days ago. The EBay auction had an opening price of $9,900 with no reserve. The CL ad originally asked for a reasonable offer, but was modified to show an asking price of $9,900 or best reasonable offer. Plus, the current owner appears to have taken title to the car in January 2019. Why is he in such a "rush" both with selling the car after 6 months and aggressive pricing?

I am not saying that this car isn't legit, but there are a TON of questions that need to be addressed before I drop $10K on it. Something about this car just doesn't seem right.

If this car were a glass of milk, I wouldn't drink it based on what I am smelling...just sayin...

Feel free to flame me as required...lol...

·
Registered
15 Posts

The unobtainium stuff is anything made out of plastic, rubber or vinyl on the body or in the interior. Do NOT buy one thinking you are going to restore it. Pay more up front and get one that you'd be happy to take to a show or whatever you plan to do with it as-is. You can do minor rust repair, paint and leather upholstery (tho its more expensive than the car is worth), but you can't buy replacement trim or weatherstrip or anything like that.

Phil, is this the kind of trim you're talking about, I grabbed these out of a blue-interior Supra and a black-interior Celica GTS on the weekend, I got some A-pillar vinyl, the rubbery strips at the top of the door inside, the plastic-coated black exterior window strips and some rubber mouldings from below the supra headlights? Is that what is hard to find in good shape or am I way off?

Thanks!
-Chris

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Garv,
Thanks for your insights on the 85 in WA. Sharing the results of your due diligence brings value to this group by educating at least me on things to look for.

Just last week my 18 yr old son was rear ended on the freeway in LA which totaled our GS300. He is fine but the car is done. The very next day my already nervous better half was driving our Highlander and was T-boned a guy going the wrong way on a one way street. Furthermore my recently college graduated daughter is angling for a decent used car so I am in the market for 2 maybe 3 cars just after purchasing the 1985 MkII project and finally getting my Cressida Wagon going. We have looked at a few carfaxes of cars of interest and like your experience some of them indicate gaps and discrepancies. I always aim to buy from the original owner when possible which has been the last 4 cars in our family. Be patient and your persistence will pay off.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Phil, is this the kind of trim you're talking about, I grabbed these out of a blue-interior Supra and a black-interior Celica GTS on the weekend, I got some A-pillar vinyl, the rubbery strips at the top of the door inside, the plastic-coated black exterior window strips and some rubber mouldings from below the supra headlights? Is that what is hard to find in good shape or am I way off?

Thanks!
-Chris
I'll take the blue "A" pillar trim if it's for sale, Chris.

35 years in Kalifornia turned mine all toasty, and it's crumbling.

- Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll take the blue "A" pillar trim if it's for sale, Gary.

35 years in Kalifornia turned mine all toasty, and it's crumbling.

- Jim
Sounds like we need to combine SW USA Supras (no winter rust but raging sun) with Canadian trim pieces (rusty as crap chassis from winter salt but mild sun).
Once I figure out what colour of Supra I end up buying I will sell off everything that doesn't match, but it might be a few months before I figure that out.

·
Super Moderator
8,272 Posts
Most of that stuff isn't too hard to find. You're better off buying new whiskers unless you're on a budget. The b trim pillar is for a Celica. You have to be careful since most of the celica interior is different. It's the trim on the bottom of the windows and around the windshield that comes apart.

My advice just be patient and something will come up. There were a couple of nice blue p types for sale in the bay area earlier in the year.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Sounds like we need to combine SW USA Supras (no winter rust but raging sun) with Canadian trim pieces (rusty as crap chassis from winter salt but mild sun).
Once I figure out what colour of Supra I end up buying I will sell off everything that doesn't match, but it might be a few months before I figure that out.
When I first moved to Kalifornia in 1982 all my hot rod buddies back in Illinois wanted me to scour the junkyards for them. After I'd been there about six months, I reported back that while you could still find good sheet metal and mechanical components, every...single...car I looked at had a trashed/destroyed/rotted out interior.

They were all hoping for interior trim!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most of that stuff isn't too hard to find. You're better off buying new whiskers unless you're on a budget. The b trim pillar is for a Celica. You have to be careful since most of the celica interior is different. It's the trim on the bottom of the windows and around the windshield that comes apart.

My advice just be patient and something will come up. There were a couple of nice blue p types for sale in the bay area earlier in the year.
Excuse my ignorance, what are 'whiskers'? haha. And it's interesting because the Celica GTS and Supra interior pieces often look very similar, but I was planning on making some measurements to see if they are indeed the same parts, thanks for the heads up that they often aren't.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
The "whiskers" are the black plastic trim that snap into the header panel immediately in front of the headlamp when it's closed.

They deteriorate after some years, turn brittle, crack, and eventually just crumble away like so many of the plastic parts on these cars do.

·
Super Moderator
8,272 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, what are 'whiskers'? haha. And it's interesting because the Celica GTS and Supra interior pieces often look very similar, but I was planning on making some measurements to see if they are indeed the same parts, thanks for the heads up that they often aren't.
They look similar and will bolt up, but are "cheaper". Center consoles, dashes, side panels, rear seats, are all different. For instance the a pillar trim on a Celica is hard plastic vs soft touch on the supra.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for tips about the subtle differences between the Supra and Celica parts, indeed although the vinyl appears similar on the A pillar covers , the Supra ones definately have some sort of thin foam under the vinyl allowing some give, whereas any give on the Celica one is from the underlying structure flexing. It would be an improvement over cracked Supra covers, but wouldn't be as nice as the real deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the MK II Supra that you might want--it's stored in a friend's barn about an hour north of the DFW area. While it's not really For Sale, someone with as much interest as you deserves a note, just in case. Frankly, it's part of the family but . . . .

Detail: 1985 P-Type, White over Red, 5-speed Manual, 225k miles, no rust, excellent paint and interior (even the dash is as new with no cracks). Also, plenty of parts saved over the years as well--boxes of lights, trim, and more.

I purchased it at two-years old in 1987 and have maintained it extremely well ever since. It's been garage- or barn-parked and rarely driven about twice a year now because it has an AC coolant (-134a conversion, btw) leak that no one could really pin down, so we just stopped driving it.

Other issues:

1. Only Genuine Toyota key around--we have others, just can't find them!

2. Aftermarket radio (original still in a box though).

3. Lift gate latch is slightly bent; won't latch properly. I'm looking for a new one.

4. Intake hoses are original; one has a small gap which is possibly allowing air to leak in, although engine runs fine.

5. One of the seat belt retractor plastic arms is broken (passenger's door).

Anyone can see pics here at a link I have just removed--with only 1 post "To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater.

Really?

Geesh.

Let me know if you can't find a decent one near you and perhaps we might work something out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
They look similar and will bolt up, but are "cheaper". Center consoles, dashes, side panels, rear seats, are all different. For instance the a pillar trim on a Celica is hard plastic vs soft touch on the supra.
Yes and FWIW, all the Supras came with Automatic Climate Control as well, something not available on the Celica, even as an option.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Wouahhh!
That is a nice one, even with the higher mileage it does look very, very nice. Were the wheels redone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wouahhh!
That is a nice one, even with the higher mileage it does look very, very nice. Were the wheels redone?
Yes, about 5 or 6 years ago, when I replaced the previous tires.

I also have another complete set of chrome wheels (which wasn't a great idea), but they're not in great shape.

Engine has never been apart, except for the valve guide seals which is a common repair.

High mileage is nothing on a Toyota--IF you change all the fluids regularly:)

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
The intake hoses (I'm assuming you mean the rubber "boots" that connect the hard pieces) can be replaced with properly sized "Silicone Hose" like what's used on intercooler piping. There's a zillion sizes available, including adapter sizes to go between pipes of different sizes.

I have the measurements of the hard pipe sizes, and you can get the hose on eBay, or I might have some left as I usually buy more than one of an item.

- Jim

21 - 39 of 39 Posts