Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys anyone have any tips on tightning doors, my drivers door hangs to the point that the edge of the glass rubs and wears out the black plastic pillar?

Also one door has a biger gap on one side more than the other.

Or is it best left for a bodyshop to do?
Thanks Dan Robinson :(

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sounds like you need new door hinges.

Door sag is usually caused by worn out hinges.
Either find good ones at the junkyard (look for how much it is sagging just before the latch hits the striker plate) or get new ones from the dealer.

Warning: When removing the door hinges, have a helper to hold the door. Each door weighs 75 lbs!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Ouch...

Yeah, Dean's right - definitely the hinges are the culprit. Also you might want to re-adjust the door striker plate, where it latches (after you replace the hinges).

I've never heard/seen Mk2 doors that sag that much. Wow.

Good luck bro.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
when i replaced my hindges i put a pair of jack stands underneath the door and it pushed it up perfectly to the piont that i only needed to tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I guess its another problem to fix
I will see how bad it is. I think some one put some kind of hard silicone around the hings to protect from rust or water from going in(or to cover rust) The car was taken car of from the earlier owner but someone in between did not take care of it, the car has had a hard life, the engine replaced recently, I just spent $875 for some seals and bearings.
runs nice not a drop of oil, but must fix cold start injection, from cheap fuel. Now Iam using good fuel and cleaner. slowly geting it runing nice.
body still in good condition.
strange cause the body has no rust on the rear fenders at all evrything els ok.
Dan Robinson

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres what I have done so far
1)Replaced fog light
2)changed oil with thiner5-w30 synthetic will change it again after 1000km
3)new right front bearings
4)new camshaft seals
5)newtiming belt plus a new idler pulley
6)new seals for cam towers
7)new brakes came with car had to shave roters
8)replaced center console
9)have a replacemnt rear light waiting for installment after I touch up rust rear in rear quarters still fixable.

Slowly as long as i dont find major problems. :roll:

·
Registered
146 Posts
has any one ever seen a heavy duty hinge for a mk2 my windows are loose as hell and the door flexs on very hand bass notes i have but i guess 153db will do that :D i am killing my car from bass when the moon roof is open the head liner moves a good inch time to fix that then theres the the wing moves 2-3 inchs i have almost blew the back window out a couple of time it move at least a 1 inch i love it i have done a fair bit of sound mat and spray it was really bad befor

·
Registered
52 Posts
yea man, i hate these door hinge, it always hange on me. just finding a good door hinge is always a pain when looking at the junk and at the dealer, it cost too much just for one.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
well yes it's the hinge, and no it's not

there should be a small bushing.. hard to describe and it's cold/dark out im not goign out side. but that bushing may need replaced it sets in the pin w/ the hinges

correct me if im wrong here guys.. maybe im thinking of a rustang instead?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Alex needs to read this thread....

/PM's him immediately.

His drivers door sags a bit and closes with a hard THUD.

--Kory

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The drivers door on my Celi was sagging (pretty mush same door) and I put washers in between the hinge and the door till the door was aligned again. I did that about a year and half ago and have no problems since. But also all what was bad on my hinges was that the little copper bushing on the lower hinge dedided to go somewhere else in the world.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Speakin of Door hinges....has anyone ever thought of putting on hinges that open and swing up. I think they are called gull wing...someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I'd like to try depending on price.

Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
You'd be looking at a lot of time, effort and money.
Dont forget that the DeLorean had a large roof support (The T Panel) down the middle that the doors connected to.
75 pounds each of door will put a lot of stress on the roof of a Supra, especially when opening and shutting them against a gas strut.

Unless you're referring to the kind that hinge on their front, like on a lamborghini...
(as seen http://www.modacars.com/cars/red-diablo/doors-up.jpg

I wont say that's impossable...
http://www.wickedbodies.net/maxima1/max4.jpg
But I will say THAT's UGLY!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Unless you're referring to the kind that hinge on their front, like on a lamborghini...
(as seen http://www.modacars.com/cars/red-diablo/doors-up.jpg
It has not been done yet on a MKII, to my knowledge.. But it's only a matter of time.... Because it HAS been done to a MKIV already.

Last year @ the 04 Vegas meet, the Show & Shine sponsor was Matsu Motorsports (http://www.matsumotorsports.com/), and one of their specialties is "door conversions". Think I'm kidding??? Go here: http://www.vegas.supras.org/v04/showgallery.asp?11 then click on the picture on the lower left.

Yes, the doors do function & close very easily.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yeah...I'm not referring to the delorean styly from back to the future. It's the style of the supra from the Vegas link. I'm hoping to get r done. It'll look like old school meets new. Just have to make sure it doesn't rice out my ride.....otherwise forget it. I'll see if I can get one of the the photoshop experts here on the forum to maybe give everyone on the forum a rouigh idea on how it looks.! :)

Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
Didn't click on the links but I think you may be describing 'scissor doors'.

I rate them close to spinners in the rice department.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts