Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this was mentioned before but is everyone sure that you only need the bushing and lever to tighten the shifter. My bros a Supra techie and he says I'll need the reatiner as well which will cost around $100 at Toyota. And its is harder to shift it into reverse, is that just due to the loose shifter or is that a transmission problem? I think Dean might know most of these questions. Also I got different part#s for those parts from the Toyota dealer just in case people have a problem getting them.
Bushing-#33548F
Lever-#33530F
Retainer-#33506F
-Also Ill try to scan the shift parts setup if my scanner works.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow my scanner worked, I hope this helps out a bunch of other people.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Oi........ Once again......

Yes, you will need a new bushing that is at the end of the shift lever. You don't need to buy a new lever...

No, you DO NOT need to buy a new retainer piece (who the h$#@ said this???). Look inside the retainer, you'll see a green or black colored bushing that the stock OE shifter rotates on. This item, you need to remove & replace.

Better yet, for the 2 bushings that need to be replaced, ONE of them is a truck item!!!! Costs allot less than a OE replacement one. Call Jeff Watson @ Champion Toyota & tell him that you need to replace the shifter bushings in your MKII Supra W58 5-speed, he will know EXACTLY which ones to order.

Now for those of us that just recently did the Jim King S3 Short Shifter, things are much different. The bushing that is at the end of the lever is not a Toyota item, it's from a BMW. And the bottom retainer bushing now comes out & stays out, it's no longer needed!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
geez. i just replaced the bushin on the end of my shifter and i noticed that the retainer bushing was all chewed up and cracked so i just took it out and left it out :? i checked with my other 2 w58s and neither of them had the retainer bushing they just had a rubber bushing sitting in the bottom of the retainer that just looked like a "O". so i just took one of those retainer bushings stuck it in to replace my old cracked one and now my car has a nice tight shifter. it feels like it shifts faster too :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just for a little house cleaning, might as well replace that rubber boot while you're in there. I recently pulled my shifter to install the JK shorty and that original boot was in bad shape. It's not necessary, even if a little ripped, but a new boot will keep out any debris.

Boot to the head.
Scott

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just removed the lever, no bushing of course, called toyota at harlingen , nearest dealer where i live and price is $15 and $8 the other but where in the hell are the 2 bushings, i only see place for one of them, the one at the end of the shifter lever . . . there is other but it looks like a "seat" for the "pivot ball" is that the other ona you talk about ???

by the way i found that shortening the lever is lot less complicated than you make it look, :roll: Ill be doing it myself and also will fabricate the bushing . . . i might post some pictures (before and after)

c ya

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Yes, that's the one we're talking about. The one inside that looks kinda like a cup. It's either green or black, unless it has disintegrated already. It's fastened on the L & R sides & you need a small hex wrench to get them out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
nop, its not fastened, and your right, i pulled it with a small hex wrench but it was loose its black soft ruber like material its like 1/8" thick. . . but it fits perfectly in the upper side of the part numbered 33506F in the drawing and the lever lower ball fits fine too . . .hope we are talking about the same stuff and that i don need to replace it . .

BTW we dont need to remove the part 33506F ???, cause I didnt . . .and still have acces to fit in the new bushing . . .

tell you all something, Ill post drawing of the bushing in case it works and someone else is willing to fabricate one . . .just let me know if think is a good idea . . .

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Yep, we're talking about the same items. This is correct, that giant rectangular metal piece does not need to come out.

As for the bushings..... As mentioned earlier, one or possibly both are Toyota truck items & you can get them much cheaper from Jeff Watson @ Champion Toyota. This is what most peeps will do anyway if they need to replace those 2 items (call Jeff).

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much cheaper is it to get it from Jeff Watson? Dealership sells the bushings for only $10 which isnt that bad but can you specify the part# on the diagram, you guys started confusing me. (#33548F ?) Thanks

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
atdsupra,

If the seat for the pivot ball that you pulled out is a simple black ring, you've only got half of the original bushing left, which is very common. Get a new one, part number is 33505-35020 (this is the truck part) and you'll see what I mean. It is two layers, the bottom one being a black rubber ring, the top being a green ring. They are held together by some delicate means, and they may separate during installation, but that shouldn't affect anything. The green ring has a tendency to deteriorate with time and the pieces fall into the tranny. When you get a new one and put it in, you'll have a much tighter fitting shifter, with a lot less slop and more precise shifts.
Hope that helps to make things clearer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
thanks dean . . . I have installed for a temporally use a bushing manufactured by me ( the one at the end of the lever ) and yes i only have the black ring . . . will be visiting next week or month the nearest toyota dealer that is about 1 hour from where I live and buy the set plus few suspension parts and more stuff . . .

must say that I am very happy with the shifter, the way it feels after the bushing and lever shortening stuff,

BTW I found a great site that explains how to do the shortening . . .wait a minute . . . its your site . . . :D :D

its really impresive how 1.5" shorter shifter will make a huge difference at . . .

thanks and really good webpage of yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts