Discussion Starter #1
current on my 83 every 600km i have to put back in 1L of oil
but i park my car in the garage and i never see any leaks on the floor

i am confused..please help me solve this problem..thanks

btw i only have 144 000 km on the car

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Does your car let out a small puff of blue when when you step on the gas after idling for an extended period. If so it is your valve seals. When they wear they will allow oil to seep down the valve stems when idling or parked but there is no blue smoke when driving-I have this problem now also.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Shes most likely burning it...

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
It could also be burning it at high RPM's. Your rings might be going south :(

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dohc82 said:
Does your car let out a small puff of blue when when you step on the gas after idling for an extended period. If so it is your valve seals. When they wear they will allow oil to seep down the valve stems when idling or parked but there is no blue smoke when driving-I have this problem now also.
the odd thing is that the car has 144000 km right now and i have replace valve seals @ 70 000km...but from your description that is what happens to my car(the blue smoke)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Racefiend said:
That much oil and no visible external leaks its most likely rings.

Christian
if i have to replace rings and vale seals..it would be costly correct?
do you guys think that 6mge swap is pratical here?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you can do it yourself then it will only cost a couple hundred bucks. One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that parking your car for an extended amount of time (like for the winter) all the oil goes to the bottom of then engine and the top end is bone dry. then when they go to start it for the first time it causes a lot of stress on the rings and especially the valve seals. THis happens a lot in Canada as we have cold winters. If you park your car you should give the cylinders a shot of oil first as well as the valve train.

Basicly turn the engine over without the spark plugs in and let the oil flow then leave for a day replace the plugs and away you go.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
suprathepeg said:
If you can do it yourself then it will only cost a couple hundred bucks. One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that parking your car for an extended amount of time (like for the winter) all the oil goes to the bottom of then engine and the top end is bone dry. then when they go to start it for the first time it causes a lot of stress on the rings and especially the valve seals. THis happens a lot in Canada as we have cold winters. If you park your car you should give the cylinders a shot of oil first as well as the valve train.

Basicly turn the engine over without the spark plugs in and let the oil flow then leave for a day replace the plugs and away you go.
the car is winter driven as well..like 5 days out of 7 in a week

·
Registered
154 Posts
Then it is kinda wierd that the stem seals are going already I would look a the rings. I think preasure testing the cylinders will tell you if they are leaking. Someone else would know more then me though. :banghead: :snipersm: :2gunfire: :madbutt: (these just made me laugh)

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Start by doing a compression test and see what readings you get. If the pressures test low, try adding a couple of teaspoons of oil into each cylinder and then repeat the compression test. If the pressures increase in any of the cylinders then you have worn piston rings and possible worn cylinder walls.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this blue smoke...will it cause me to fail aircare (emissions check)??
i bought some stuff...its fluid i think its called slick 500 or sumthing
and it is suppose to help seal some cracks?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
all that stuff is there for is to waste your money, i've never had any oil treatment stuff work to slow or cease any cracks or leaks...and i'm sure its not good for the engine

me being from ohio and not having emission testing i'm lucky, but yes you will most likely fail due to the high amount of HC (hydrocarbons) in your exhaust during the four gas test.....er whatever they do.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trdmkii said:
all that stuff is there for is to waste your money, i've never had any oil treatment stuff work to slow or cease any cracks or leaks...and i'm sure its not good for the engine

me being from ohio and not having emission testing i'm lucky, but yes you will most likely fail due to the high amount of HC (hydrocarbons) in your exhaust during the four gas test.....er whatever they do.
its called slick 50 "the engine wear protector"
anyone have experience with it?
cost lke $30cdn

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Has anyone ever tryied that "Smoke B-Gone". Its suppose to thicken your oil so it doesnt burn as much. There is also another one called "Ring Seal" that works the same. I havent tried them but a couple of friends of mine have and they were happy with it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just filled up with some 92 gas and it doesnt seems to burn oil....
hmmmmmmm?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
its called slick 50 "the engine wear protector"
anyone have experience with it?
cost lke $30cdn
When I lived in SW Florida I had a 79 Celica, and the engine had high mileage so I used slick 50 with an oil change. When I performed the next oil change I was in a rush to get it done and get home. Removed the old filter, spun the new one on, filled it with oil and headed toward home "and did not check to see if the old filter gasket was still on the block" During the journey home the oil sprayed out between the two gaskets, and when I got to the bottom of the drive the engine stopped "never heard clatter, and it was bone dry" removed the filter and the extra gasket, spun filter back onto block, filled it with oil again, and drove it for another 100,000 miles, and trusted it on a trip from Florida when I relocated to Ohio. In fact....after I got to Ohio and drove it for a few months here, I ended up taking it to a junk yard and traded it and a little extra cash for an 83 Celica because I was tired of driving it, and wanted the newer body style. It was running as smooth as the day I bought it and did not burn oil or leak when I junked it.
I'd say it's Fantastic!!!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
how do you guys find these threads? i think this might be the oldest and most random thread revival ive seen.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
obviously through the search function. but since the forum started in april or may, this isn't quite the oldest, but close ;) it's thread 1,822.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts