Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i've been noticing that after driving for about 5 minutes the power reading drops below the 12 mark, and everything goes dim, windshield washers slow down etc. etc. the only thing thus far i've been able to rule out are the belts. before i throw ideas out, has anyone experienced this in their car? i'm not aware of a standard culprit, and need some help. i have an 83' i was hoping to find an easy fix to this other than tearing apart the car searching for a wire that's mistakenly grouded or having to pull out the alternator only to find it's okay. thx!

·
3,283 Posts
Mine will do this at idle, but I'm pretty sure I just need to re-ground everything, may want to check all your chassis grounds. Kinda sounds like the regulator in your Alt is going bad. That would be the first two places I'd check.

Mike

kale said:
recently i've been noticing that after driving for about 5 minutes the power reading drops below the 12 mark, and everything goes dim, windshield washers slow down etc. etc. the only thing thus far i've been able to rule out are the belts. before i throw ideas out, has anyone experienced this in their car? i'm not aware of a standard culprit, and need some help. i have an 83' i was hoping to find an easy fix to this other than tearing apart the car searching for a wire that's mistakenly grouded or having to pull out the alternator only to find it's okay. thx!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had a situation where the voltage drops and everything goes dim, but it was when my Alternator died and I was too young and stupid to know what was happening. My 83' has a little red light on the left side of the voltage guage that comes on when the alternator isn't charging. It is on when you turn the key but haven't started the car. Do you have that light, and does it go off when you start the car?
Your symptoms sound like either a bad alternator or a bad regulator, but if it is your regulator then your voltage should go up when you apply throttle. I have had my regulator go bad completely and the voltage will peg the top of the meter above 3,000 RPM.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Kale

I Had the same problem on my Black Supra a couple of weeks ago where my lights started to dim down. I changed the alternator and POOF problem solved.

Now to fix my Alternator from my White Supra :roll:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i haven't seen the red light, but i have noticed that power does not increase with rpm. ive been over the grounds, so i guess it's time to get the wrenches out. thanks for the help! i'll let you guys know if i figure it out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
177 Posts
had a problem as above, just sluggish windows, sunroof, occasionally not turning over, alternator tested good on stand, changed anyway, problem gone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts