Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to see if anyone here has a good idea on how I should best approach the loss of my job. Im not an expert on this at all, I haven't been fired before and I have good reasons to believe it was for the wrong reason.

As some of you know I lost my job on Friday. I had been working for a dealership as a Technician for almost 3 years. Our shop is divided into 2 teams, I was on the team working for the "lead technician" of the dealer. Out of the 14 other tech's working there not one of them liked or wanted to work with the guy I was working under, unfortunately 6 of us were under him.

Let me give you a quick background here, the guy is nice, easy to work with, actually helped me out a lot, and is one of the hardest workers I have ever met. His downsides are, every other word out of his mouth is a lie, he took all the "gravy" work that our team had (services, customer pay work, almost no warranty, etc), did side jobs while on the clock, was seen most mornings exiting his mistresses car, and had his 2 apprentices go to training for him. This is a guy who clears over 10k per month while the rest of us on his team make under 40K per year! And in the past 4 months they denied my request to attend further manufacturer training 3 times despite the fact this I have 4 more classes until I had my master certification, the same cert attained by my "team leader" when he never attended a day of school to get it.

Now I was fired because I was given a Yukon with a warranty blind zone indicator DTC and 2 other warranty concerns that I had previously diagnosed as a module failure. I had ordered the part for the car the week before and installed it on Wednesday. Unfortunately the module didn't fix it (long story GM had the module listed wrong) so I went to look for the physical copy of the paper work from the last time the vehicle was in. I asked the person who handles that paperwork if she could locate it for me. After looking in the computer she commented on the fact that my "team leader" had already worked on it in late Nov for the same concern! Now honestly this really got to me because its just not rite to hand your comebacks off to someone else. Now here's where I was wrong, when I went to tell him about it he was on his work computer looking at a new 6 bedroom house that he informed us that he was looking to purchase in addition the the 4 bedroom house he already owns. Honestly that sent me off the deep end because it was 2 days before the end of a 2 week pay period and I only had 30hrs and was worried about making my $400 rent and he was looking to buy another house! So when he asked me what I was going to do about the Yukon I told him "nothing its your comeback you figure it out, im done with it". I know that was a bad move on my part and I figured it would come at a cost.

The day they discontinued my employment I was told by our HR director and service manager that the reason was that I was insubordinate and had failed to properly run labor time on the vehicle. It was also my 3rd write up (for completely different reasons) and they had proper grounds for firing me. I feel that's fair and I agreed to it and that I was sorry it happened that way. I also explained to them why I was upset with my "team leader" and that I didn't feel that what was going in was rite. I was assured that his pay and treatment was fair (even though he literally did whatever he wanted). I was then told that I needed to get more training to make myself more valuable, I almost jumped over the desk when he said this, instead I agreed and was told that I could use him as a positive employment reference.

Now here is where it gets interesting. I was told by of of the guys I worked with that they had just demoted our former "team leader" to a regular technician and they had given his position to a guy that was hired a few months back that was a former shop foreman of a recently closed dealer.

Now I have at least 7 other techs who said they will provide whatever documentation or help they can to help me with further action. Because no one thinks I was fired for a good reason and the demotion of the former "team leader" makes it VERY suspect.

Obviously I stirred something up, should I take legal action or ask for my job back? I have basically the entire shop on my side, including service writers and parts people.

Cliffs: I was fired for insubordination. Two days later my former boss was demoted after I spilled the beans about what he was doing. What action should I take?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dont take a legal action. Send an email to the upper management. See if you can get your job back. So you were fired, not let go right? Good luck with that!

·
Registered
697 Posts
That's a tough one. You refused to do work, but it was for the right reasons if you ask me. I would file for unemployment and see if they fight it. If they do, then let em have it during the interview they will have with you and former employer. And when you file for unemployment be sure to state what happened when they ask you why you were fired. That might be enough right there to raise red flags at the unemployment dept. with your former employer. Just be careful not to burn any of the wrong bridges. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I worked for seven different dealers over a 24 year period...my best advice to you is to move on, find a job at a dealership that wants to advance you and train you. Not some place that turns a blind eye to someone in a leadership role who is setting a poor example.

Put this situation behind you as quick as you can...you'll be better off for it in the long run. Best of luck.

·
Registered
684 Posts
/\... second that.. there's already bad vibes at your old job...you shouldn't want to go back to that.. wish you all the best mann

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you guys, its just hard to let it go. At least I feel that I got the last laugh. I have to wait and see what happens I guess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd just move on man, there's a lot to be said about not rolling over on someone, even given the situation you're in. I'd think that him getting demoted was good enough.

If you wind up taking legal action, that'll raise flags when you go to work for surrounding dealers. If you get your other job back you're likely to run into all kinds of drama with the guy that got demoted.

Just get shots of him and the mistress, mail it to every mutual contact you have, and go eat bbq at the next company picnic.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, my wife is already on that mistress thing.

I'd just move on man, there's a lot to be said about not rolling over on someone, even given the situation you're in. I'd think that him getting demoted was good enough.

If you wind up taking legal action, that'll raise flags when you go to work for surrounding dealers. If you get your other job back you're likely to run into all kinds of drama with the guy that got demoted.

Just get shots of him and the mistress, mail it to every mutual contact you have, and go eat bbq at the next company picnic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with you guys, its just hard to let it go. At least I feel that I got the last laugh. I have to wait and see what happens I guess.
if it's one thing i have learned...it's karma is a MOTHER when it comes to stuff like this.

it might not happen right away, but i promise you something will happen and throw shit so far upside down at that place, you'll come across it one day and just laugh so hard inside. :thumbsup:

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Threaten to take them to court if you dont get your job back. "We can go down the long road if you wish"

and/or

Tell your former team leader if he wants to keep his job he better get his shit together, tell him you know of his bullshit and can provide numerous examples of his company time stealing. Even if you dont get your job back you sure as hell will fuck him over because all the management team will be watching over him to see if what you say is true. Might convince him to take you on his side. (blackmailing him of course)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Since they said you could use them as a positive reference id take this as an opportunity to go find a job at another dealership while that offer lasts. If you go back theres a chance there could be bad blood now and you dont need to put up with that kind of aggrovation.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Go install (or have a former co-worker install) a zerk fitting on the side of his tool box, and pump that bitch FULL of grease. Make it ooze out every nook and cranny. Then video tape him opening his gift, and you'll have a priceless memory to share with your kids and grandkids for years to come. Send a copy to America's Funniest Home Videos and who knows... you may get some money for it!!
:mm_beer::eatcorn:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Walk away knowing you did the best you could there with the situation you were presented with. unfortunately i think if they fight your unemployment claim they will win regardless of whatever dirt you can throw at them during the hearing. fact is you were fired for a legitamite reason that even you agreed with. i hate to say it because i would be thinking the same thing your thinking. like i said before IMO its just best to walk away.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you and i wish you all the luck in the world.

·
Registered
60 Posts
what you need to look out for, is what they had you written up for on the other ones. there was 2 guys i work with that were term'd because INSUBORDINATION was on all their write-ups. its a loophole that management uses to get ppl out that they dont want. look into that. if youre with a union,get them on it. one of the guys i mentioned got his job back because of how silly the shit was he got INSUBORDINATION for. just check that out

·
Registered
326 Posts
try to get one of the managers to physically touch you in front of a witness. There has to be one hothead there whos triggers you can find.

you will make alot more than working there i bet.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Klingon proverb; Revenge is a dish best served cold...

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
First let me just say I'm sorry to hear you've lost your job and I applaud you for taking the initiative when it comes to furthering your career by seeking the proper training.

I worked for seven different dealers over a 24 year period...my best advice to you is to move on, find a job at a dealership that wants to advance you and train you. Not some place that turns a blind eye to someone in a leadership role who is setting a poor example.

Put this situation behind you as quick as you can...you'll be better off for it in the long run. Best of luck.
This is probably the best way to go. Lawyers are expensive and there are no guarantees. Even though you do have coworkers that will support you.

I always tell everyone you have three choices.
  • Walk away, get another job. Forget about it, life goes on.
  • Hire a lawyer and make sure your coworkers will show up in court.
  • Buy a new bat and just wait till things blow over...

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts