Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever had their rear sunshade fly off the car? Just in case you're wondering, that little strut in the centre of the sunshade which secures it to the rear windscreen is there for a reason - it prevents the sunshade from flapping around at high speed and self-destructing!

I found this out the hard way a few weeks ago when I was driving home from my parents' house on a crowded highway. I was stuck behind slow traffic for ages, so when I came to an overtaking lane I nailed it to get past as many cars as possible. Having 400hp on tap means you find yourself doing silly speeds before you know what's happening, and I was doing 200km/h when I noticed a real loud noise from behind the car - sort of like THUMP-A-THUMP-A-THUMP, as if one of the wheels was coming off or something! Needless to say it scared the crap out of me, so I hit the brakes and started pulling over. As I was doing so, I saw a large black object in the rear view mirror... it was my sunshade sailing through the air, and shattering into a million bits as it smashed into the car behind me. Oops!! :oops:

Anyway here's a few pics of what's left. It's pretty funny in hindsight, although I suspect I'll miss it when summer rolls around...

http://www.norbie.net/images/Sunshade2.jpg
http://www.norbie.net/images/Sunshade3.jpg
http://www.norbie.net/images/Sunshade4.jpg
http://www.norbie.net/images/Sunshade5.jpg

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
About 125 mph in your Mk2 eh? Yeah...I guess that little post IS there for a reason. OUCH Man! You really fux'd up your wing. I've had mine up to a tad over 130mph, but I have the little center post (and consequently I still have my wing too).

I hope you find a replacement for it! :flex:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Damn, well, I've had no problems at 210kph, but then I do still have the centre support..

Are you going to get a new sunshade? I've got one from my parts car + centre support if you need it, dunno how much, gotta check condition first :)

LMK

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sort of getting used to the car with no sunshade now... it adds to the sleeper effect, so people think they're getting blown away by a Celica with a 21R-C! :lol:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
DriftMe,

It's fiberglass. Very thick fiberglass at that.

Regardless, we have told everyone that the center support rod IS there for a reason. This is the main one. If the support rod is in place, you won't have this problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wow, while reading that i was laughing but at the same time realized that is very sucky. At least you have a cool story to tell people now. :) And as to adding to the "sleeper" effect, that is awesome.. I love killing people when they see i've got an older car and think it's got nothing, except you car could tear them a new one much more quickly and demoralize alot faster. haha. Anyways, sorry to hear what happend, hopefully you can get a replacement.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
WOW, :shock: that is some power your packing right there :3gears:

hey, Norbie why dont you go with the 85+ spoiler 8)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
my 84 and 85 have the short spoiler and i've never had that problem, well of course wind cannot get under the top one.....but man that sucks, did it damage the car behind you? Did you have to pay for thier windshield or anything.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Zank,

It's possible, BUT... The question is... Does Norbie have ACCESS to a newer 85/86 hatch spoiler????

They are not very common in AUS, because the AUS spec MKII's never got them.... Including the 85/86's... Just the older one that he toasted.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's correct, we never got the 84/85 style spoiler over here and I've never seen them on imported XX's either. Maybe it was a US-only thing? In any case I wouldn't want one; it's too extroverted for my tastes. I prefer subtlety. :)

The car following me was an old clunker (VC Commodore for the locals), and fortunately the spoiler smacked into his solid steel bumper. It's unlikely it caused any damage, but he obviously wasn't concerned because he didn't even stop!

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Norbie said:
In any case I wouldn't want one; it's too extroverted for my tastes. I prefer subtlety. :)
Thats funny, because thats exactly why I prefer the 85/86 ones :wink:

I actually like the cars without the spoilers too, the look grows on you after awile. Even more subtle. :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Damn Norbie, that plain sucks. But it makes for a good story: "Man, I was flying down the freeway so fast my car started breaking apart!"

I remember one night I was doing similar speeds, when I heard a ratte tatting noise for a few seconds. I looked out my pass window to see my pass side windshield trim flapping in the breeze. I pulled over and found that I had completely lost the corner trim. That piece still wont fit on right, even after a new windshield and clips.

Christian

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i took my car out for a lil high speed run...
no idea how fast i was going (85 mph speedos suck) but i was at about 5500 in fourth in an 82 p type, so im sure someone has a calculator and can do the math, if theyre so inclined.

but anyways, lets estimate 160 plus.

my windshield trim is all coming off now :(
sun shield is ok, because i have the center support, but now my windscreen looks like shit cause its only got the side trim pieces.

btw: can anyone tell me how to remove the trim from a parts car without destroying it??

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
exact same thing happened to me. Raced a guy on the highway many years ago in my 82 and when I hit 160ish the top piece of my trim flew off. Taking the trim without breaking it is fairly easy, but without breaking the clips is harder. Take the side pieces off first. Remove the corners, the slide the sides off, then try sliding the top piece off. It can be twisted forward to pull it off as well if you can manage to release the clips on the back.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
IIRC the way I took off the trim was by pushing down on the windshield edge of the trim and pushing towards the body, while lifting up on the body side of the trim. Also, remember to take the screw out of the side trim by the door. I think it shows how in the TSRM.

Christian

1 - 20 of 39 Posts