Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some rear window louvers for my '83 L-type (no wing/sunshade) and I have heard mention of both plastic and metal louvers, I think I would prefer metal but I'm not sure. What I'm wondering is how many different styles and brands of louvers are there? Were there ever actually Toyota made optional louvers? And lastly would I be better off finding a hatch with louvers already on it so I wont have to drill holes or anything? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Plastic are cheaper and more common, but get sun-damaged. Metal are rare and more expensive, but last longer. You will have to drill 4 holes in a hatch for them. Best chance to find a set is to get one from the forum. Save yourself some money. It took me two years of looking before I found someone with them, but I still have yet to pay for them. (thanks for holding them, you-know-who-you-be). You can also get an off-brand style for less. I found some a while ago on a site I can't remember the name of (I though I had it bookmarked) for about $250 plus shipping, but they were ABS plastic.

Also, because the Supra is a 'more collector' car, you may be unable to find them, try searching for the similar body style of the old GT-S. They have the same hatch... Good luck finding some

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are also louver styles that won´t need you drilling holes. they come with metal plates that you slide under the rear window seal.
My louvers are of plastic and metal. the fins are metal and the left and right connector is made of ABS plastic.

·
aka Mr Whisker
4,047 Posts
Toyota 'Shadow' louvers were a dealer option IIRC. The metal is pretty solid and def. looks stock. I'm not a big fan of plastic, but whatever type you get, recommend they be easily lifted to properly clean the hatch glass, remove leaves, pine needles etc.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
I went cheap and MADE my sun shade.It's a big reflective shiny thing that is held on by magnets on the back glass.In the summer,I leave it on,and trust my mirrors.NOT safe,indeed.Cost me $8 bucks.I whack it off with a craps stick when I need to see things,behind me.Cost me a mirror,so far.The louver is a better idea.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My daughters '83.
I got this rust-free hatch with the louvers from a '84 Celica.

Shadow louvers. ^
Now I know exactly what I'm looking for. Toyota Shadow louvers. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
IMO the metal looks much better but is getting hard to find these days. Poor rubber gaskets on rear hatches and metal louvers sometimes don't work too well. Mine leaks sometimes where the louver mounts slide under the rubber so I keep it coated with silicone.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Resurrecting my own thread here.

Almost 3 years later, I have finally found a set. Alas, I no longer have my '83 L but I am going to make them work with my '85 P wing via the Tanya route :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all the input years ago, I knew exactly what I wanted after this thread and now I have finally have them.

Awwww yeah.

Now I just need some of these.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resurrecting my own thread here.

Almost 3 years later, I have finally found a set. Alas, I no longer have my '83 L but I am going to make them work with my '85 P wing via the Tanya route 👍

Thanks again for all the input years ago, I knew exactly what I wanted after this thread and now I have finally have them.

Awwww yeah.

Now I just need some of these.
Hi 8 years later I’m googling differences between 85 and 83 louvres. You don’t happen to still have these louvres? I have 85 but I need 83.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts