Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I drove my car for about 15 miles with the low fuel light on. I got to the gas station as soon as I could and filled it up and it took 14 gallons exactly. When I started the car up the low fuel light was still on and now I cant get it to shut off. I've started the car probably 5 times since and the damn light is still on brighter than ever, I even pulled the fuse to reset my ECU and it didnt do anything. Anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
does it register full? probaly stuck sender in the tank :?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the gauge shows full but the light stays on. When I use all this gas up I'm gonna drop the tank and clean it out. I know I have some really bad corrosion at the bottom of the tank because my prefilter gets clogged with rust and I have to clean it about once a month to keep my car from stuttering. Any1 know of any aftermarket fuel tanks for our cars that are still available?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I believe the low fuel light sensor is seperate from the float for the gauge. Sensor might have died.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You really think it could have died? I've had the car for about 4 years and I've only run the car low enough for the light to come on a few times. Any1 one ever replaced one of these sensors? I hope I dont have to buy an entire sending unit(If it is part of it) just to get this damn light to shut off. :mad:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
SupraDOHC said:
You really think it could have died? I've had the car for about 4 years and I've only run the car low enough for the light to come on a few times. Any1 one ever replaced one of these sensors? I hope I dont have to buy an entire sending unit(If it is part of it) just to get this damn light to shut off. :mad:
An easy fix: Remove the instrument cluster and then the bulb that makes the "low fuel" light come on. If you don't want to deal with replacing the sensor....there's your BandAid for it. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The low fuel light thermistor is an integral part of the gas gauge sending unit so unfortunately you do have to replace the complete unit if the thermistor goes bad. :? Strange that it worked fine until you filled the tank. The thermistor that controls the low fuel light is encased inside a small round, sort of bullet shaped housing on the fuel gauge sending unit. When the fuel level gets real low, the thermistor gets warm and stays warm until you fill the tank enough to submerse the thermistor in fuel. Maybe the thermistor housing is full of crud or rust and the heat caused the thermistor to short out. Try disconnecting the harness connector on the sending unit and see if the low fuel light goes out. If it does then there's definitely a problem with the thermistor. Try removing the sending unit from the tank and use some carb spray to try and clear out the thermistor housing. If that doesn't do the trick, see if you can find a good sending unit at a local junkyard. New sending units are probably still available as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
someone has a way to repair it on thier website, i think it was dean, try his site.

uhhmm, i guess look in the members section for a link, i can't rememberhis URL and i gotta go...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dave A. said:
The thermistor that controls the low fuel light is encased inside a small round, sort of bullet shaped housing on the fuel gauge sending unit. When the fuel level gets real low, the thermistor gets warm and stays warm until you fill the tank enough to submerse the thermistor in fuel.
And this can easily be accessed through a panel in the lift back area of the car. You actually drop your tank on a monthly basis :?

I'd go NUTS if I had to do that. Why don't you replace the pick up and use an external pump? I think the pick up tube from an '83 :?: is the direct fit.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Who, me? I've never dropped the gas tank out of a MKII, but I'm sure that I probably will once I get my 84. The fuel guage sending unit is easily accessed by removing the access plate to the right of the spare tire well. No need to drop the tank out unless it needs a good cleaning. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts