Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the negatives of a supra with lowered front springs like eibach and the factory springs on the back?? handling issues??

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
as well as a very awkard ride, it turns the front tires into a fulcrum everytime you hit a bump

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Greg G's car has stock rear springs and eibachs in front. Looks good to me. Tokico struts in front help raise the front a smidgen to even it out.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I too have been curious about this as I have been stumped on what to buy/install for front and rear.

I want to maintain a fairly stock ride height, however, I wouldn't mind the front being a tad lower (1/2 at most would be ideal for front) to even out more with the stock rear height. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best spring/strut combo for the front as well as the best spring/shock combo for the rear to accommodate this.

Any suggestions on the best set up to get what I'm after? I would love to see a stiffer spring rate front and rear. There are so many variables going into this since I am relatively picky on what I want the end result to be that it is overwhelming. I thought I wanted KYB or Tokico fronts, but not sure which. I know I want KYB gas adjust rears, and I am totally confused as to which will make me happiest when it comes to stiffer springs with a stock rear height and slightly lower/stock front.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
what would be the negatives of a supra with lowered front springs like eibach and the factory springs on the back?? handling issues??
I would imagine that as long as you have good struts/shocks, preferably adjustable, that you won't notice much different for street driving. Personally, I think a bit of rake vs. the stock heights will help handling a bit. Just lowering the front may make the front feel more responsive, accurate, and of course, stiffer. I wouldn't be too concerned about understeer, for now, lot's of owners think the cars oversteer too much anyway.

If you want to lower the rear a bit (and most owners won't due to increased camber) you could always get some stock rear springs and cut them maybe 1/4 coil shorter. Cutting springs kinda stiffens the resultant spring, but again, there are concerns about lowering the rear. Just make sure your alignments are good, whatever you do.

Don L.

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Im running a lowered front on coilovers on stock rear setup.

Drives just fine. Handles good.
Will handle better when I get better shocks and struts (gr2s blow even tho they are new).

I will probably be cutting a tad out of the rear for a little bit till I decide to get new springs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm running Eibach in the front, and converted to stock springs in the rear (picture below just after the conversion).

I guess since I am old school, aesthetically I prefer this stance on the car over fully dropped. Also, since I don't push this car much (it's a daily driver), for street driving understeer as a result of this stance, is not an issue.

The only difference that I noticed in going from back to stock from Eibachs at the back, is that the rear is a little more bouncy on bumps (Eibachs were obviously stiffer - and maybe just the right spring force).

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I use to run ST springs all around with a spacer in the back to lift it to stock height. I personally liked that set up, till I went with front coilovers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Currently using ST front springs and stock rear.. matches well. No issues at all with increased spring rate in front.. the increase is minimal.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That sounds like what I am looking for. However, I do want a stiffer rear spring, just stock height. What are you guys running for shocks/struts?

·
Registered
875 Posts
you can see in my signature, my l type with lowered fronts and stock rears
whilst it mightve had something to do with the stock suspension in the rear and the firmer upgraded suspension in the front, i wouldnt recommend it if you like to do abit of spirited driving.
Whilst racing a gt starlet i needed to pull up from 180kph in a hurry, the rear end got very hairy under braking.
not cool.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Never liked the eibachs. Didn't lower the front at all for me...and most I see the front still looks stock height. The rear dropped but not the front...wtf?

Had em on a week and took them off...went with the ST's all around-perfect.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Im running a lowered front on coilovers on stock rear setup.

Drives just fine. Handles good.
Will handle better when I get better shocks and struts (gr2s blow even tho they are new).

I will probably be cutting a tad out of the rear for a little bit till I decide to get new springs.
Yeah, Kayaba GR-2s are comparable to Sensa-Tracs (which I put in the rear a couple years ago), but KYB are better in that they handle other suspension mods like lowering springs better.

I've read about people having issues on Sensa-Tracs, but they work fine on my L-type (stock springs and 225/60 tires in the rear) - no rubbing even without flares.

Dobinson lowering springs and Tokico struts, 195/70 tires (on the front) got the stance where I wanted - more positive steering/cornering, good for my daily summer driver.

Back on the road soon! D-10 and counting...:mk2_vroom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts