Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son and I want to lower our 85 badly. I have been on the hunt for lowering coils since November.
I have found two sets and both sellers refused to ship them. Both said they where too lazy to find a box and to pack them up. I was going to Pay them more than the asking price.
NOW Being in Michigan and riding in other cars over the years with coilovers it is not fun. Plus I'm not a huge fan of them unless it's for track, time attack or scca kind of things. Not to mention the cost is far beyond our budget right now.
I need to get this car out of my barn here soon so I can get back to fixing others broken cars.

I guess now that I have the rant over with, what options are out there? Anyone selling a sell of old Eibach coils or are there some coils that I could use off some other car/truck/van that are still mass-produced?
Its very frustrating for the two of us.

·
Founding Member
6,500 Posts
You can also send your stock springs to a custom coil winder like Coil Spring Specialties, give them a few specifications like the weight of your car and how much lower you want it, whether you want a firmer or softer ride, etc. and for a couple hundred dollars per corner, they'll measure your stock springs, do the calculations and wind you a custom coil.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can also send your stock springs to a custom coil winder like Coil Spring Specialties, give them a few specifications like the weight of your car and how much lower you want it, whether you want a firmer or softer ride, etc. and for a couple hundred dollars per corner, they'll measure your stock springs, do the calculations and wind you a custom coil.
I contacted Detroit Spring and they could do a custom set for $500 and some change. Witch is not bad but as of right now a bit high for us.

·
Super Moderator
8,525 Posts
Very pricy for us right now.
These aren't Honda Civics where there are cheap Chinese springs on ebay for $70. The only new non coilover option are the Dobisons or finding old lowering springs which very rarely come up for sale here. Even those used springs probably will get a couple of hundred bucks for them. The only other cheap option is a hacksaw.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I would suggest retaining the factory set up till you can afford to lower the car correctly, this is something you WILL be unhappy with if you cheap out on (by cutting springs or going with someone else's worn out springs) not to mention the safety issues. The Raptor racing Dobson's are likely your best bet, and aren't that much more expensive than what I would sell my old Eibachs for...

Options (most common/available):
Eibachs
ST springs
Dobsons

·
POTATO
17,317 Posts
If $500 is too high for you, and people aren't shipping, you only have 2 choices from there.

Keep it stock and save some money.
Cut the factory springs 1/2 coil at a time until you're happy.

There's nothing else you can do with a $100 or whatever your budget is lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry that I'm use to going to a catalog, looking up a set of coils and paying $250 to $350 for a set of Eibach or H&R springs.

I am a pretty damn resourceful person when it comes down to it. I worked in auto parts for nine years. I am use to finding parts that will work and fit for old cars that have very little to no replacement parts support.
There has been a handful of cars that I have struck out on.

·
POTATO
17,317 Posts
You could have done the catalog thing with these cars about 15 years ago. Not anymore. Aftermarket parts availability is all over the place currently, lowering springs are all but extinct with the market shifting towards the highly adjustable coilovers. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and more people want coilovers than springs for the last several years.

You will find the mk2 Supra market and community to be quite unlike most other car communities for a variety of reasons. We are the black sheep outcasts of the Toyota enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
There has been a set on CL in Los Angeles for quite awhile for $300. Was that one of the 'lazy sellers"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I never checked CL in that area.
Both were on FB parts for sale pages. I don't even try to look for stuff on CL outside of my general area anymore. They never want to deal with people outside the area due to scammers. It makes sense

·
Founding Member
6,500 Posts
No, I never checked CL in that area.
Both were on FB parts for sale pages. I don't even try to look for stuff on CL outside of my general area anymore. They never want to deal with people outside the area due to scammers. It makes sense
There's so many scammers going after popular items like consumer electronics. They send you a bogus check or money order or money transfer and hope that you'll ship it before your bank tells you the money was fraud. But you'd think that with auto parts that only fit a very rare car, the scammers wouldn't bother because its not like they can pawn a set of springs. It may be more that people don't want to mess with shipping. They have to find a box, take to a shipper, wait in line, maybe take off work during the week when they're open, etc., etc. No more than people are willing to pay they figure its not worth the effort. Let's just face it, $200 is chump change anymore and the way the Feds are printing it now I shudder to think how little its going to buy in a few years.

Its just much easier if they can get someone local to come pick it up for the same money though they may have to wait a long time. I'm kind of the same way. I could post a bunch of parts for sale, but somebody across country is going to want something when its inconvenient for me and they're going to post some bad review when I don't send it right away. So I just watch the wanted section and if somebody needs something and I think I have time to go dig it out of storage and send it, then I'll reply. If I don't have time, it stays in my storage. That's why I tell people to list their city in their profile. If someone is local, I'll reply and they can have it immediately. If I don't know where they are, I'm probably not going to mess with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep your OEM springs around for the future just in case. These were my Eibach’s after 10 years. Both sides looked like this.
A84E4AF4-D26B-44AE-B6F2-35545BF85789.jpeg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts