Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a turbo ls mk1. Before I get the toyota purist hate let me just say, the car was in bad shape, not worth the time or money for a restore, and now it will live on as a car that I will actually drive. That being said I am respecting the car in no way. Just wanted to see if anyone else had done a v8 or anything to a mk1 since I can't seem to find any. Here's some pictures of what I got so far

·
Super Moderator
8,730 Posts
I know one thing you're going to have the high horsepower Mk1 with a margin of about 800 hp🤘

·
Founding Member
6,587 Posts
I'd gotten a chance to drive a v8 powered mk2, that's been done a few times, but can't recall anyone doing any kind of v8 swap in a mk1. I just hope you'll leave it completely stock in appearance on the outside because I'd love to see people's faces as a Toyota from the malaise era of automotive history leaves them in the dust. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I've had several MK1s over the years. I swapped a 6mge into one and a 5mge into another. A lot more fun than the stock 4me and 5me boat anchors. But that was years ago.
Turbo MKI (Damon) swapped a 7mgte into one of his MK1s. Crazy fast. He posted some MK1 upgrades writeups in the stickys area of the MK1 section. Probably still there. I met him at Tail of the Dragon a few years back - the MK1 is scary fast with a 7mgte, I can imagine a V8 MK1 will be a real thrill.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a reason no one does it, the steering rack is behind the subframe and the trans tunnel is tiny. The engine is almost touching the firewall and I still had to get a special oil pan and cut and weld supports on the steering crossbar. Also there is no room for the smallest exhaust to now fit past the transmission under the car so the exhaust is going to go out the fender. The passenger fender and hood are both damaged so I dont feel to bad about cutting holes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I'm looking for advice is if anyone with a high power mk1 has had issues with the frame twisting or damaging the rear. Im shortening an 8.8 rear end but am trying to use the stock mounting points for the 4link and coils. Im guessing it will hold its a toyota but a little worried. I really don't want to have to brace the frame and hate welding on my back under a car.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Stoked for this. Damon always warned us about putting high power through this chassis. Hopefully you can keep her from being a widow maker

·
Founding Member
6,587 Posts
Stoked for this. Damon always warned us about putting high power through this chassis. Hopefully you can keep her from being a widow maker
Oh yeah, didn't he have a rollover accident or was that a different car? I seem to recall he got mangled up pretty bad but now I don't remember what the story was. And that reminds me, I need to look up and resurrect another thread.....

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Wheel hop can be a serious issue with higher horsepower.

Changing out all your rear end bushings with poly bushings will help some - can't say for sure if it will fix everything with your horsepower and torque.

Don't leave the old, stock rubber suspension and 4 link bushings in.

And, the steering box is fairly low ratio - if it starts to swap ends, you might not be able to counter steer quickly enough to prevent it (ask me how I know)

·
MGSS Afflicted
1985 Celica Supra P-Type; 1979 Celica Supra; 1992 Supra Turbo Targa 5spd; 1998 Supra TT Targa 6spd
194 Posts
This is going to be epic.....

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yoo this thing is so dam wild I love it
One sketchy sob I have a 1JZ-GTE in mine and I couldn’t imagine what a turbo v8 this things too sick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts