Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
POTATO
17,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scrolling through toymods.net, this caught my attention right quick

andyroo said:
I was just reading the 2006 vic roads used car safety ratings for crashes..

Supra 82-89 scored a "worse than average"(second worst rating) for protection of occupants in the event of crash, (MR2 scored lowest, "signifigantly worse than average" ) while the harm to pedestrians from supra was "signifigantly more harm than average"... the worst rating. No other sports car got this rating, the only one close was the 350ZX, causing "more harm than average" to pedestrians...

here's the PDF to the buyers guide, scroll down to 18
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/DCDF9420-4D9A-456B-BE49-36B1A0055CA9/0/UsedCarSafetyRatings200648468KB.pdf

I can hardly believe this! Of ALL the wrecks I've read/heard about here on the forums and through yahoo, I've only seen one death attributed, and I believe that was last year. Now I'm sure there have been more, but 9 times out of 10, people in mk2 wrecks have walked away! How the hell do you explain Zank still being here?? :eek4dance:

Same goes for the tank aka. Mk3

Check this out

Two people were in that car, one suffered a broken ankle, that's it. Yeah, what a horribly made car :ugh:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Well these guys normally use statistical data to consider this stuff...however I dont see the difference in between the 81-81 celica and the 82-90 supra....hmm kinda odd dont you think? the celica and supra pretty had the same body design (other then the engine nose extension on the supra)

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
How the hell do you explain Zank still being here??
That's probably one reason for the score: I'm sure that since we're talking used vehicles here, the scoring must also take into consideration the people who drive them.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
And it's a much safer car when you're driving it from the left hand side ;)
I don't see how it can do more damage to pedestrians than any other kind of car. Are they saying that people driving Supras are more likely to go sidewalk surfing in them?

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
From the NHTSA Archive:
1982--- Toyota Celica--------2Dr--3060(**** )(**** )

Frontal Impacts only (Differs from Side Impacts)
5 stars (*****) = 10% or less chance of serious injury.
4 stars (****) = 11% to 20% chance of serious injury.
3 stars (***) = 21% to 35% chance of serious injury.
2 stars (**) = 36% to 45% chance of serious injury.
1 star (*) = 46% or greater chance of serious injury.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

AND Child Passenger Safety Inspection Stations listed by State:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/CPSFittingStations/CPSinspection.htm

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
but 9 times out of 10, people in mk2 wrecks have walked away! How the hell do you explain Zank still being here??
In all seriousness however......

How do you explain Leslie & Ken still being here??? After what happened to the Toad??? Not as horrific as the MKIII pictures, but you guys get the idea.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Didnt the study go back beyond '82 ? I think the MKIIs are all around tough cars as I've walked away from more than one high speed/ hard impact wreck in one, as have local friends over the years. But the MKI is a whole other story - the MKII was a huge step forward in overall safety.

I think my injuries would of been drastically less if I would of been in a MKII...

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Now I'm sure there have been more, but 9 times out of 10, people in mk2 wrecks have walked away! How the hell do you explain Zank still being here?? :eek4dance:
:inout7xr: I dont know, but those dam mkii's hold up really good in a wreak IMO. BTDT TWICE and I dont plan to do it ever again :faint:

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
:inout7xr: I dont know, but those dam mkii's hold up really good in a wreak IMO. BTDT TWICE and I dont plan to do it ever again :faint:
The other two were planned?!

·
POTATO
17,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone knows that movies = facts.
Well pix = facts

old ass ma70

versus

newish BMW

driver of the more visually damaged Supra walked away, Bimmer driver was taken away in an ambulance. How odd :ugh:

·
Registered
783 Posts
It looks like the Pig offset(not square on) t-boned the bimmer. That would explain the hospitalization of one versus the other.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts