Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I'm a newbie on here so go easy on me..lol. I am from the UK and the Celica Supra isn't something you see on the road everyday so they are quite rare hence the reason why I'm tempted to buy one.

anyways I've see one for sale but there is an problem with the autobox. when the car is cold the gearbox slips and once full warm it seems to be ok?

would this be usually cured by changing the fluid or does it sound like a gearbox problem? The idea in the future would be to convert it to a manual but until i source the bits needed id like to use the car.

just out of curiousity is it possible to use the gearbox from a mk3 supra 7mge engine? the engine in the celica supra is 5mge at the moment..??

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My old 84 Auto did this. It is dirt/clogging in my opinion.

You had to wait until the temperature started registering on the gauge before you could drive it.

However, I poured in a bottle of "no slip", and it cured the problem. It's basically something that breaks up dirt. Of course after a month or 2 the problem would return.

I had never serviced the transmission, so I can only assume that something was clogging the lines. When I poured in the magic stuff, it probably diluted or dissolved some of the dirt. It still was there though, so it re-collected later.

·
Registered
861 Posts
just out of curiousity is it possible to use the gearbox from a mk3 supra 7mge engine? the engine in the celica supra is 5mge at the moment..??
That's a good question if I understood it correctly. Is it possible to swap a MK3 Supra Automatic Transmission into a MK2 Supra with a 5MGE engine? Are there issues with that?

The MK3 Supra is so much easier to come by and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
861 Posts
And the reason I'm asking is because my tranny was doing the exact same thing, but yesterday morning while trying to go to work, I killed it. I let the smoke out of it, and I'm afraid to look at what I did. I'm preparing for the worst - transmission replacement.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You let the smoke out of the transmission? Damn.. Its really really hard to put smoke back into things... I know..

You can swap a 7m trans in. IT REQUIRES WORK.

From what I understand
1. Custom Driveshaft.
2. Electrical wizardry to hook it up. Either a suprastick (stand alone autobox controller), somehow feed the mk3 autobox computer the signals it expects to see from the mk2 ecu, or wait for the megasquirt GPIO to drive your trans.

The only 2 mk3 auto's I've seen in Mk2's are Junkies and Dons white beast. Both of those have 7m motors and ecu's though.

If you do this, document it all. I would love to follow in your footsteps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts