Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts
Greg -
Nice work & great thread. Love the pics, comparisons, and early sketches.

Note: Bricklin is brokering the deal to bring the Chery - first Chinese car to the US & he also imported the Yugo.

I always thought the Lotus Esprit shared some lines with the MKII. front end, 82/83 door handles, and roof-line.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Dude, I think the Bricklin and others use the AMC handles.

I like the Hornet and the Javelin. In my dreams I have a vintage car to flog and I wouldn't mind either of those. My folks had a Hornet X with a 360 2bbl with posi that was fun and badass.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Hey Wade... yeah the XKE may have been somewhat of a reach, but I couldnt find anythng else that had a bulge as long and prominent as that of the Jag. Datsun Z-cars sure, but thats too obvious, and they were clearly inspired by the XKE, right down to the headlamp nacelles, roofline, and fender haunches.

What other hood bulges are you thinking of?

Bimmer M1 is cool comparo... that car spawned the 850 which always reminded me of the MA61 from dead on front angle, perhaps even moreso an MA70.

The louts did get a V8 the GT350. I didn't really think much about this till now, but I know now I'll be noticing all over now.

Espada for angular lines, XJS for "flying buttress" c-pillars, and US gummint headlight height laws for flip-ups. Love those design sketches, cooooollll! Id like to add that in the time frame MKII was designed, that the Porsche 924 was on every automakers radar. More of a concept forerunner, than exterior design cues. There were numerous small, sporty, 2+2 hatchbacks that sprung up after Porsche showed the 240Z worked with 4 seats.....I always thought Supra was best executed of these later examples.

Very well done! Thanks for your great information and pictures. A must read.

As designer/artist I have a good feelig for what other designers go through as a development process. I often feel my way through design inovation by being inspired by other work.

I feel they did a great job. Thanks for sharing your excellent research.

i dont know if this has been talked about yet but if you ever get a chance to take a close look at a lotus esprit (i think thats the correct model) take a close look at the tail lights..... read what it says on them. ill give you a hint
starts with the letter T and ends with the letter A.. i was shocked when i saw that! although i do know that they were and are in bed together.

More Ferrari influence?

From the original post in this thread, the Supra's front end definitely shows some similarities to the Bitter SC:

If you look at this picture, however, you can see that the Bitter was pretty blatantly influenced by (copied?) the Ferrari 365 GT4/400i, which predates the Bitter by about 8 years. The overall shapes, especially the 'greenhouse' areas, are difficult to tell apart. See if you can spot any design differences in the C pillars between the two:

No matter, I've always thought there were some Ferrari GT car influences in the Supra.

i dont know if this has been talked about yet but if you ever get a chance to take a close look at a lotus esprit (i think thats the correct model) take a close look at the tail lights..... read what it says on them. ill give you a hint
starts with the letter T and ends with the letter A.. i was shocked when i saw that! although i do know that they were and are in bed together.
I'll do you one better. They are AE86 Corolla tail lights. :)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.