Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts
Great read Greg. I love how the Supra had power everything, and disc brakes on the rear. The Mustang during this period had drums. The Supra was so ahead of its time. I love these cars, clearly the reason I own one.

Great read Greg. I love how the Supra had power everything, and disc brakes on the rear. The Mustang during this period had drums. The Supra was so ahead of its time. I love these cars, clearly the reason I own one.
I agree - that's even more true of the MkI. It's also got four-wheel disc brakes. It's amazing how many people are surprised when they see the discs on the rear.

Discussion starter · #64 ·

WTF??? Is this real?
extremely rare joint venture between Toyota and BMW...

they produced only 10 units, one for each pimple on your ass.

thanks for jacking up my thread.

The Lotus Excel had no impact on the MA61 design, but its kinship (astetically and mechanically) cannot be denied.

early Toyota design sketches are very hard to come by, so I find these most interesting:

Are you sure those early sketches of the "MKII" weren't actually of the Lotus Excel? It seems to resemble that one a little more!! haha...especially the spoiler area.
The Excel is undeniably based on the late 70's early 80's Lotus Eclat which preceded it, and I am reasonably sure that the MKII chassis was designed simultaneously by the same group of engineers based off the same car, which explains why the early design sketches with Supra on the door more closely resemble the Excel. Below is a 1980 Eclat, and it's almost all there: front flares, greenhouse, B-pillar, 4-spoke wheel design, glass drop for the mirrors, etc. Remember the larger flares and USA bumpers weren't on the original XX design.

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Great catch Lance!

No question I now see strong resemblance of the Éclat door window/beltline in the red sketch above.... as well as all the other features you describe.

I humbly retract my statement that the Lotus had no impact on the MA61.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.