Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new to forum SYD, AUS based. Have a 1982 Celica Supra 2JZGTE swapped, seeking registration in NSW. Noting this topic has been done many times, but the updates are all from like 2010 and pictures are all gone.

Registration requires me to upgrade the brakes to an 'equivalent' power output (i.e. Z32 turbo) to match the 2JZ power output.

To date my mechanic has fitted the front brakes no problems (cheering). I have all four rotors redrilled to 4x114.3.

Does anyone know how to:
1. Rear brakes - ensure handbrake works on the upgraded Z32 calipers? And where to find/ details on a spacer for the calipers?
2. Upgrade the master cylinder/ booster to meet brake bias? Part of the requirement is to swap the entire braking system like for like, i.e. including booster and cylinder, however I've already fitted a larger master cylinder - has anyone fitted the Z32 booster and or cylinder?

And if anyone has photos of their rear assembly/ setup for handbrake please share. Also if anyone is NSW based and has gone through similar engineering queries on their vehicle please drop a note on tips/ advice.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
283 Posts
For the rear brakes, check page 18 of the brake swap thread.
Seems like the "easy" thing to do in the rear is Mazda RX-7 FC or FD calipers with Z32 12" rear rotors drilled to 4x114.3.

"Rear Brakes have 90-99 z32 rear 297mm rotors drilled to 4x114.3 with 92-up Mazda FD front Calipers. The caliper mounting bracket holes need to be drilled out to 1/2 inch, and the control arm caliper mount tabs need to be tapped. Either the hoses need to be longer, or control arm hose bracket needs to be cut to allow some stretch. Not as bolt on as I wanted, but no machine work needed, just a drill. Oh, and they WORK GREAT!!!! "

Your handbrake shoes will need to be replaced, I might be wrong but stock is like 4mm and you will need 6mm shoes.
For both front and rear you will need a hubcentric spacer machined to sit between the hub and the center of the rotor.
Make sure you're pressing in longer wheel studs in the front.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Unless you're going racing I can't imagine a reason for changing the rear brakes. I use the Z32 brakes on my endurance racing car with the OE rear brakes and the OE proportioning valve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts