Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...im new to having an engine block being sent out to the machine shop so was wonderng if these prices are fair.....

40$ to resurface flywheel (a must and seems to me like a good deal)
15$ a cylinder to hone block= 90$
100 to deck the block (everywhere else wanted 150)
40$ to polish crank
roughly 150-200 to balance crankshaft (is this absolutely necessary?)

probably going to get a little discount seeing how im getting it done all at once...

i wanted to port and polish my head cylinder but unfortunately out of all the machine shops i called not one of them offer this service anymore...

if any of you in the laval/montreal/st-jerome area have sent out your engine to a shop recently and have got quality work done for a fair price let me know...thanks

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
napa machine shop charged me $16 to re-surface a flywheel.

here what Anderson machine shop charged me down here in ABQ

head...resurface for MHG (30 RA)included vlve job magnetic partical inspection and pressure test and instal valve stem seals I supplied=$250

connecting rods recondition all 6=$30
crank shaft check and polish=$30
cylinder block degrease, disassemble(oil squirters) and inspect=$60
rebore and hone=$30
resurface for MHG(30RA)=$60
camshafts polish and check $30(for both)

little extra here
helicoil exhaust studs for 7/16" big studs=$50..i supplied studs
purchased clevite main bearings from shop for=$45.10
thrust washer set for=$8.00
clevite rod bearings=$35
the cut and sized my rigs for my ross forged racing pistons for=$60

i bought bearing from the machine shop because they could get them in 30 mins. and the right size. you can buy them yourself but that just makes the process longer, because they have to tell you how much they removed and what you have to buy...the few bucks i might of saved buying them myself would of cost alot of time. I just instructed them to use clevite 77 i think and they did...i had a trustworthy shop plus the gave me the empty boxes and the part numbers were right.

i didnt have them re-balance my crank because it came from my engine that i knew the complete history on, no rod knock or damage like scored journals etc etc....if you have any doubt in you mind that this crank has been sitting along time(possible sag) or had anything involed with something that could throw it outta balance then balance it..or your whole engine will be trashed if its outta balance.

every machine shop has their own idea of what port and polished means...i wouldnt waste your $...odds are it wont be to your liking...i know..ive paid for it and i wasnt...do that yourself...but its alot of work for little gain...if your under 600hp I wouldnt worry about it...i didnt do it...look at my sig for more 411. Ive built a few of these 7mgte's in my day. this applies to 5m's too.

one word of advise if you dont know this..have them machine the block with the rear timing cover on...do not do it without. or you will be doing this later:32:

HTH...GL with you build

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
hey everyone...im new to having an engine block being sent out to the machine shop so was wonderng if these prices are fair.....

40$ to resurface flywheel (a must and seems to me like a good deal)
15$ a cylinder to hone block= 90$
100 to deck the block (everywhere else wanted 150)
40$ to polish crank
roughly 150-200 to balance crankshaft (is this absolutely necessary?)

probably going to get a little discount seeing how im getting it done all at once...

i wanted to port and polish my head cylinder but unfortunately out of all the machine shops i called not one of them offer this service anymore...

if any of you in the laval/montreal/st-jerome area have sent out your engine to a shop recently and have got quality work done for a fair price let me know...thanks
those sound like fair prices. They usually mad overcharge here in Quebec. Napa charged me 70$ to resurface a flywheel once.

what machine shop is this??

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks abqmk2 for the advice and also for sharing your past experience rebuilding the engine....wish i could score some good pricing like that down here..

like jamie mentioned, quebec is insanely overpriced with anything regarding car repairs or anything related....

jamie the name of the shop is atelier de mecanique RM in montreal nord...i still got a couple of weeks before sending out my block so im going to do a little more searching around to see if i could find any other shops that offer good deals so none of us in the area wont get mad overcharged, cause man were some of the places i called insanely over priced..

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
try calling Zekes in Lachine. Thats the shop that used to build the special edition firebirds and camaros for all of North America before they were discontinued. They do amazing work, and their prices are set accordingly!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey jamie thanks for the heads up.. ill call zekes machine shop later on today...see what prices they got to offer........ill keep this post updated with the prices as well

thats quite a bill you had racked up there SlapFunkWarrior...that rebuild cost more than my whole build :naughty:....that engine must have ran like a charm after that ..... anyway thanks for sharing

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
post up what you find out! us QC guys need to stick together to avoid being destroyed when it comes time to get work done. Where do you live anyway? I live in La prairie on the south shore.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
post up what you find out! us QC guys need to stick together to avoid being destroyed when it comes time to get work done. Where do you live anyway? I live in La prairie on the south shore.
i live about 30 minutes from laval. in a small place called st-lin...

alright so i didnt even need to call zekes machine shop today.i managed to find their site on the net and they have all the prices listed... some stuff overpriced and some are good but overall its not bad.just a little far if your comming from my area...

the prices can be found by selecting a page on the top left corner...there a total of 4 pages that mention the services they provide and how much it costs to get done..

http://www.zekesauto.com/en/serv/machn.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think every machine shop has their own idea of what port and polished means. I wouldn’t waste your $. Odds are it won’t be to your liking I know I've paid for it and I wasn’t do that yourself but it’s a lot of work for little gain if your under 600hp I wouldn’t worry about it. I didn’t do it look at my sig for more 411. I’ve built a few of these 7mgte's in my day.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I think every machine shop has their own idea of what port and polished means. I wouldn’t waste your $. Odds are it won’t be to your liking I know I've paid for it and I wasn’t do that yourself but it’s a lot of work for little gain if your under 600hp I wouldn’t worry about it. I didn’t do it look at my sig for more 411. I’ve built a few of these 7mgte's in my day.

WTF? it looks look you type just like I do...really bad:sarcasm:

I sense some scam BS coming from this guy in the near future. Look out fellas!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think every machine shop has their own idea of what port and polished means. I wouldn?t waste your $. Odds are it won?t be to your liking I know I've paid for it and I wasn?t do that yourself but it?s a lot of work for little gain if your under 600hp I wouldn?t worry about it. I didn?t do it look at my sig for more 411. I?ve built a few of these 7mgte's in my day.
Is there such a thing as BOOT-LEGGING post's ? :duh:
Or is he trying to say "Couldn't of said it better myself" ?......lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
This gives me an idea. I'll start a new thread to see how much people paid for their machine work. This gives an idea for others of how much, which parts of the US is more, etc....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts