Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the 2JZ area...but seeing as this isn;t about the actual Swap of a 2J into a Mk II...I figured here would be better...

Anyway, does anyone know the actual size of the stock Mk IV MAF sensor?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the 2JZ area...but seeing as this isn;t about the actual Swap of a 2J into a Mk II...I figured here would be better...

Anyway, does anyone know the actual size of the stock Mk IV MAF sensor?
What dimensions do you need? I can measure.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It looks like the sensor assy. length is approx 2.5" ... outer diameter of the joints appears to be 3.5"

...this is without pulling stuff apart. If you need more exact measurements LMK and I'll pull it apart and measure tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If ya wouldn't mind pulling it apart, that would help out greatly. I may have sourced about a 6 or so Mk IV MAF's for the upcoming buy, but before I buy them, I wanna know the exact size.

The actual Measurement I am interested in is the narrowest point of the interior... that more than anything else will determin the airflow...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
ok. I'll do that tomorrow evening barring unforseen suprises.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
MAF Options

Bob, how much are you looking to get these for? I am definitely in the group buy and am looking for the best/low cost MAF to purchase. I have been leaning towards the Mustang unit that Dave Anders found, but am open to all options. Keep us posted.

Supra Bob said:
If ya wouldn't mind pulling it apart, that would help out greatly. I may have sourced about a 6 or so Mk IV MAF's for the upcoming buy, but before I buy them, I wanna know the exact size.

The actual Measurement I am interested in is the narrowest point of the interior... that more than anything else will determin the airflow...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Ok.

Inlet end inner diameter: 2.5"
Inlet end outer diameter: 3"
Outlet end inner diameter: 3"
Outlet end outer diameter: 3.25"
End-to-end: 4.75"

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chad...

I may have located 7 of them for between $50 and 60 shipped... but before I commit to them, I wanna find out their size...

Quick? :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hey bozohead -- look up. :)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heh... you posted as I was posting.. :oops:

Hmm... 2.5" inlet..and a 3" outlet...

Little smaller than I would have liked. Tho, then again, I am running 2.5" I/C piping... so is a 3x3" MAF really going to do that much for me?

I think I will reserve judgement on these till I speak to Marc tommorrow. Reguardless of what I decide, if anyone wants one, once I confirm price with the guy, I will put you in touch with him.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Tho, then again, I am running 2.5" I/C piping... so is a 3x3" MAF really going to do that much for me?
Those flapper-style AFMs really suck ass. Bimmer guys get significant power upgrades with a switch to a MAF.

LMK what your dude says.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL.. no Man, I meant a 3" inlet as opposed to a 2.5" inlet on the MAF... I KNOW theres great gains to be had by dumping that crappy ass afm. Why else would the mk III and IV have them instead of the AFM?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Supra Bob said:
LOL.. no Man, I meant a 3" inlet as opposed to a 2.5" inlet on the MAF... I KNOW theres great gains to be had by dumping that crappy ass afm. Why else would the mk III and IV have them instead of the AFM?
I see. I suspect that the gains to be had from the additional 1/2" may be minimal given that the MkIV uses the MAF we're talking about... and it's enought for 500 rwhp on it...

Dunno. I'm not MAF expert -- just extrapolating based on what I know. :)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly my point. 500 Hp is a nice number. So, provided Marc doesn't think it will be too small (which I don't think he will as he said by name that a mk IV MAF would be suitable for the application before), I will be able to hook 7 others up. First come first serve peoples... :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
is there any kind of a conversion with this split second unit to enable you to use a MAP sensor? i didn't see that come up anywhere but I figured I'd ask. it would make turboing much easier.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
85TurboMKII said:
is there any kind of a conversion with this split second unit to enable you to use a MAP sensor? i didn't see that come up anywhere but I figured I'd ask. it would make turboing much easier.
Good call!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eric

Umm, I haven't specifically asked about a MAP sensor. I am sure they could make one on request, but as for a specific kit... no, nothing right now.

Really though, this setup is almost as good for a turbo, in so far as the amount of boost most of us will be running anyway. With a set of 295's, I'll have enough fuel to boost 15 PSI and still be able to idle normally.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Eric

Umm, I haven't specifically asked about a MAP sensor. I am sure they could make one on request, but as for a specific kit... no, nothing right now.

Really though, this setup is almost as good for a turbo, in so far as the amount of boost most of us will be running anyway. With a set of 295's, I'll have enough fuel to boost 15 PSI and still be able to idle normally.
I'm seriously considering doing this. what are the details of the group buy again? date of end etc. I may hold off though because I really need to rebuild my 4:30 with a stronger LSD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts