Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to buy some main bearings from my local auto parts store. They asked me which set I needed- there is one set for 5m's made before 9/1984 and another set for engines made after 9/1984. This was news to me!

I have a 5mge that I swapped into my pickup. I cannot remember which block I used because I took parts from 3 different motors to make one.

My question is, does anyone know how I can tell how old my block is and which main bearings I need?

·
Registered
555 Posts
The real question is what crank do you have. iirc The difference is where the oil holes are located, I'm sure you can do a search on it if you care.
When I asked this question one of the responses went like this: buy both sets, tear down the motor, see what type you need and return the other. This is a sure fire way to have the correct set when you need them. I guess you could wait until you actually tear it down to get them also and if the parts store has both sets this would be the best way.
However, something tells me you won't want to do that, so you will need to find out what year your motor is. So, did you change the crankshaft?? probably not, or you would know this answer already.
Does your motor HAVE a knock sensor?? If yes, that is a 1985 (or later) motor so after 9/84, or NO it doesn't have a knock sensor and that indicates a pre 9/84 engine.

That seems fairly easy and straight foreward, but you might wait for others to agree with me or refute the claim I made, don't just go with one post wait for the community to give it's oppinion, which shouldn't take too long.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Front main bearing is the 1st issue. Early blocks/cranks use a narrower front main. Then, the rest of the bearings, as I recall, have the "tab" that holds them in, on the opposite side, of the newer blocks.

·
Super Moderator
8,681 Posts
If the block has a 7 digit number with all 1-3s in stamped on the oil pan rail you have the newer style block. That's when Toyota went with the match fit bearing shells.

G

·
The Engines are farctory bluebrinted, u have to look at the service manual there is a chart to determine which size of bearing to use. each bearing is purchased seperately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts