Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a ton of horror stories on FB regarding maintenance on my 82. I have 200k kms on it and people are telling me that I'll be needing brake lines, fuel line, hoses etc.... Thing's will start to burst they say lol.

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Gabe, if you have maintenance records then your more than halfway there...

Looking at (coolant) hoses for example are they swollen expanding around the clamps then probably needs to be replaced... worst one is the bypass hose under the intake!!

Rubber brake lines are there dry cracks bubbles then immediate replacement...

Normal maintenance repack wheel bearings, bleed brakes, replace flush coolant, lube chassis...gear oil change on 5spd and LSD

Battery maintenance, clean terminals, check all grounds etc

Checking suspension for wear...ie tie rods, ball joints, center support bearing, CV joints

An original owners manual lists many of these to do items

And the Big Green Book as in TSRM Toyota Service Repair Manuals...'82 is unique to all the other years, there are 6-7 separate manuals compared to ONE big book

ALL part of owning a classic car AND A SUPRA!!

Reactions: Tanya and Beernuts

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
AND do you have any of the Factory repair manuals??

1982 Toyota Celica TSRM Pub. No. 36150
1982 Repair Manual Supplement For Celica Supra Chassis & Body Pub. No. 36147
1982 Celica Supra Electrical Wiring Diagram Pub. No. 98955U
1982 Toyota Maintenance Procedures Pub. No. 36144
1982 5M-GE Emissions Control Repair Manual Pub. No. 36143
1981 Automatic Transmission Repair Manual Pub. No. 36136
1981 5M-GE Engine Repair Manual Pub. No. 36145

Pic for reference

Reactions: ddd228

·
Founding Member
6,367 Posts
You may need some repairs soon but no need to freak out. Its just the ongoing cost of owning an old car. Unless you just want to spend a fortune up front to replace everything proactively (a total restoration), its going to squeak and leak like all old cars do. That's the reason people quit daily driving them 25 years ago. Just do like everybody else who owns classic cars, follow the maintenance schedule plus thoroughly inspect all of the organic components (some of which Arch listed above) every spring when you get the Supra out of storage, and every fall before you put it away. Replace any parts that show suspicious signs of impending failure. Sign up for a AAA premium membership with 200 miles towing (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is, drive it and try not to worry about how old it is. ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
My '84 was a daily driver from when I purchased it in 1987 until I leased my first SUV in 1997. Always garaged except when it had to spend the night in the employee lot at EWR. Now only taken out on nice days. Stored when I go to warmer climes for two months in the winter, otherwise driven year round if weather is dry. Just turned over 186,000 miles. The head has never been off, still maintains good oil pressure. All the front seals were replaced around 25 years ago. Only oil leak is the rear main seal. Also needs a clutch, so I will probably get that job done soon. Gets all the on going maintenance that has been mentioned, but the suspension is still factory original except for the rear shocks which needed replacement due to worn bushings. And it does need new valve guide seals, as it smokes on startup if it has been sitting for a while. Brake lines and hoses are all original. Never had any electrical issues such as a bad coil or igniter. I think you are worrying too much. If you do the required on going maintenance specified in the book, it will be a very reliable car. Only time it let me down was when the timing belt failed about 25,000 miles after it should of been replaced. Each time I got the oil changed, my mechanic would tell me "schedule the work!", but I kept putting it off. I had just pulled out of the driveway and was in front of my house when it died! First I called in sick, then I called the mechanic to bring the flatbed.
Do regular maintenance items at the scheduled intervals, and enjoy driving it. And stop worrying!

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts