Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 has 182+ on it and i've "never"... had a problem with the engine. but yesterday i lost all oil pressure opened the hood and a huge cloud of white smoke came from the engine compartment. The whole under side of the car was covered in oil alone with the entire passanger side of the engine compartment and engine. I checked the oil and there was none. I added 5 quarts in and nursed it home. When i got home i checked it again and there was NONE it drained 5 quarts in less than 5 miles. What could have caused this? I riped apart the right side of the engine, took out the intake and the MAF sensor and pracket checked all the pressure lines and did not find a problem... Could it be a head gasket, or value cover gasket (the thing where the cams sits)? I would realy appreciate the help! my landlord said I have untill the end of the week before he pushes her out the garage and sets her on FIRE! :shock:

Plus I have eibach spring, KBY shocks, Goodridge Stainless brake lines, and a Doug Thorley Header to put on. not to mention a ACT cluch and a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel already on her :)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
The gasket you talking about is the Cam shaft Housing gasket, it is the one that sits between the head and the cam shaft housing. You might also want to open up the cam gear cover and check the round seals behind the cam gears to see if they didnt pop out (I had that pop on me and drain all the oil).

HTH

·
Registered
109 Posts
my freind had the same thing happen to him on his old accord

turned out the rubber gasket around the oil filter ruptured from being too tight

hope this is all thats the matter

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Check everywhere it can lose oil under pressure. Oil filter gasket, front and rear camshaft seals, front timing cover/oil gallery gasket, front main seal, oil pump drive shaft seal, oil pressure sending unit, oil pressure regulator gasket , the little plate next to the oil filter that says "M" and last but not least, the head gasket. I doubt that cam cover gaskets or an oil pan gasket could lose a quart a mile so its got to be a pressure loss I would think. If you can get some engine cleaner and hose all the fresh oil off really good, you ought to be able to find the leak in seconds with the engine running from the sound of it.

Phil D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled off the timing belt cover and there is a thick oil residue on the back plate. The belt and the cam gears don't seem to be covered, but they probly were. where can i get the gaskets i need to rebuild the one side of the head? a store like auto zone or pep boys?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you've got it apart and you are planning to add some performance parts then you may as well just do all the gaskets and seals. Then you can be confident that you won't have to opon the puppy up again for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts