Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Hi Fritz, any updates? Will you be selling full sets? I’ve seen many folks try to reproduce these trims but none look as close to OEM as yours (in that rear quarter photo above).

For the rest, are the original OEM pieces from which you are doing the molding perfect?

Wiil there be anything rigid molded inside the new poured pieces to keep them straight, especially the long door pieces?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hi Fritz, any updates? Will you be selling full sets? I’ve seen many folks try to reproduce these trims but none look as close to OEM as yours (in that rear quarter photo above).

For the rest, are the original OEM pieces from which you are doing the molding perfect?

Wiil there be anything rigid molded inside the new poured pieces to keep them straight, especially the long door pieces?
Thanks for asking! I will be selling full sets for the p type cars (all years) as I don't have a l type to go by as a reference, I've made almost exact copies as the original trim so it should be as close as possible. The pieces that I'm molding from are NOT perfect and that has been most of the work so far. I'm currently working on the small pieces still as they have little ripples etc. I'm currently wet sanding all those things out, for the pieces that have cracks holes etc I've used bondo and filler primer and it has turned out great. If you look very closely you could probably pick out little flaws but I'm hoping a final wet sand would solve that. I was planning on doing a system like Toyota did to keep them rigid but the cost would end up being to high. Like most car manufactures nowadays I've decide to use GOOD double sided tape and that should do just as fine as long as the customer does there due diligence by prepping the surface before hand (wiping down with alcohol and making sure its clean) I've stress tested these pieces and I do not think they will fail in the heat cold etc. If there are any tests you would like me to do let me know! Ive had them sit out in -30 and +30 and they have not warped or cracked as I've mixed in uv protection with the material itself.

Heres a photo of the primer/bondo situation. The long pieces (door ones) were actually in good shape besides one having a screw through it.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
L & P types have same side moldings. The only difference is the front-most ones (each side) between 83- vs 84+ for the side marker.
Looking good!

Reactions: JCC and Fritz

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Alright cool. If I understand, the primer/ bondo versions are the original pieces that you are molding from, and you are sanding etc to get those perfect. The new product won’t need any finishing/sanding because it’s just black urethane- right? Have you got any new photos of the finish on the final product?

Will there be anything rigid inside e.g. the long door pieces to keep them straight? I think I saw in one of your early prototypes the urethane was not perfectly straight

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
L & P types have same side moldings. The only difference is the front-most ones (each side) between 83- vs 84+ for the side marker.
Looking good!
oh well I could probably make a set for the l types then since I have a 83 with the side markers, looks like the marker itself is injection molded though so that will probably come later on.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Alright cool. If I understand, the primer/ bondo versions are the original pieces that you are molding from, and you are sanding etc to get those perfect. The new product won’t need any finishing/sanding because it’s just black urethane- right? Have you got any new photos of the finish on the final product?

Will there be anything rigid inside e.g. the long door pieces to keep them straight? I think I saw in one of your early prototypes the urethane was not perfectly straight
Yes, the primer ones are the original ones, they will be molded to make the final ones. They should be perfect when they come out of the molds. The new product will be lightly sanded on the back by me so that the tape will stick well but besides that it will be ready to go straight out the mold. I have a couple photos of the finished on the first page of this thread let me know if you can see them! Although they are a bit rough because they weren't wet sanded. There will be nothing rigid inside the pieces themselves because of a couple of reasons: Cost, it would be a two piece mold and that would drastically increase the time, price, etc. Longevity: The metal piece that sits in the back of the trim tends to rust over time and that causes problems down the road such as the piece losing its shape falling off etc. The third and final reason is that my design is probably better than Toyota's because there trim that they produced was very light and thin, and it needed that metal piece while mine does not need it, its already rigid and doesn't want to go out of shape by itself.

tldr: you will have to do not work besides installing piece onto car, Nothing rigid inside piece because it is not needed, oem trim doesn't stand the test of time

Let me know if you want any more info I'm happy to help out

61 - 67 of 67 Posts