Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Celica Supra P Type Manual 80k original
66 Posts
I went for the Redline MT90 per recommendations on this and other vintage Toy sites. Put in both my ‘85 4Runner and Supra and I can honestly say I can feel a difference in both and especially the Supra. So I do think it’s superior stuff and should be for the price. I put it in all my diffs as well.

·
Registered
1983 Celica Supra P Type Manual 80k original
66 Posts
Ok thankyou for that info I’ll get that ordered
Amazon has it and get a slippery pete pump at the same time to make things easier.

Apparently the MT90 doesn't glaze like other oils and is better for our cars. IDK but honestly my Supra would pop out of third occasional and after I put in the MT90 it never did (and the stuff I drained out didn't look all that bad.) Plus shifting seems a lot smoother. I'm sold on the stuff and wouldn't pay the extra if I wasn't.

·
Registered
Supra ma61
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a Mitsubishi 3000 gt vr4 and that used to pop 3rd I put shock proof heavy in and it solved it so redline is very good . So I was happy to hear my 90 is compatible with my supra . It’s arriving tomorrow morning at 9 o’clock I’m stoked! Tgg he anks again for the info fella

·
Premium Member
'85 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
237 Posts
Amazon has it and get a slippery pete pump at the same time to make things easier.

Apparently the MT90 doesn't glaze like other oils and is better for our cars. IDK but honestly my Supra would pop out of third occasional and after I put in the MT90 it never did (and the stuff I drained out didn't look all that bad.) Plus shifting seems a lot smoother. I'm sold on the stuff and wouldn't pay the extra if I wasn't.
not meaning to threadjack, but here I go:

what is the Slippery Pete pump for? https://www.amazon.com/Slippery-Pete-Standard-Adapters-Outboard/dp/B07QQVCRSD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=slippery+pete+lower+unit+gear+oil+pump&qid=1669398040&sprefix=slippery+pete,aps,159&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1 (I see at least one other that says "not for Red Line quarts")

do you have a procedure for changing the fluid? (I also see different Red Line fluids out there)

in other vehicles, I would

1. remove the transmission pan and let the fluid go into a large plastic container used for such things
2. replace the transmission pan with new gasket and then fill from under the hood using the transmission fluid dip stick tube
3. run vehicle and fill as needed to get within range on the dip stick

·
Registered
848 Posts
Manual transmissions normally do not have a dipstick, they have a bolt in the side for level (and some automatics do too like my '11 4runner). For automatics, iirc, the supra had a dipstick and uses transmission fluid, not gear oil like the manual trans.

For the W-series transmissions (manual), you pull the drain plug, replace when drained, then on the driver's side of trans, find the refill plug and use the "slippery pete" hand pump, or one of several other ways to refill the trans until you see some of the fluid drip out of the same hole. If you have the shifter out of the trans, you can also refill it that way, again, watching for fluid to drip out of the side level hole.

And make sure NOT to purchase gear oil with a "friction modifier" additive! You will not be happy with the way it shifts, as it gums up the synchronizers and makes it very hard to get into gears. Don't ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
Supra ma61
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Manual transmissions normally do not have a dipstick, they have a bolt in the side for level (and some automatics do too like my '11 4runner). For automatics, iirc, the supra had a dipstick and uses transmission fluid, not gear oil like the manual trans.

For the W-series transmissions (manual), you pull the drain plug, replace when drained, then on the driver's side of trans, find the refill plug and use the "slippery pete" hand pump, or one of several other ways to refill the trans until you see some of the fluid drip out of the same hole. If you have the shifter out of the trans, you can also refill it that way, again, watching for fluid to drip out of the side level hole.

And make sure NOT to purchase gear oil with a "friction modifier" additive! You will not be happy with the way it shifts, as it gums up the synchronizers and makes it very hard to get into gears. Don't ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I had a W58 looked over by a local Transmission shop he advised me to use straight 30 wt, anyone else get this advice?

Will

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah, don't go back to his shop ever again! This is a manual gearbox that requires a good gear lube, and following that advice would ruin not only the gears but would destroy the synchros in quick time!

Guess that shop needs extra work in the near future from you? 30w, SMFH!!!!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
There are certainly manuals designed to run on oil that thin but the W58 is not one of them. Either use a xxW90 or a straight 90 weight, use GL4. Redline MT90 is an excellent suggestion.

Reactions: Flyin' Hawaiian
1 - 14 of 14 Posts