Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 344 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
It's august 7th to 10th, but you can just come down the Friday evening if you want, the rental of the chalet is for 3 days regardless. You're free to stay wherever you want but there are lots of single beds left I believe and it's a great deal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It's august 7th to 10th, but you can just come down the Friday evening if you want, the rental of the chalet is for 3 days regardless. You're free to stay wherever you want but there are lots of single beds left I believe and it's a great deal.
Actually my dad was thinking about going for one day, mainly because he got a motorcycle and he wants an excuse to ride it. I'll talk to him some more and get back to you.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Another thing that has been in development since January was the sound system. I bought the car with a single deck that had only a broken cd player, blown out speakers, a blown out sub, an oldschool alpine amp, and a cut factory antenna. The day I bought it I took out the amp, sub, and the extra speakers the previous owner put in the back. I didn't any sound other than a worthless cracky and quiet radio until late December. The old deck was swapped for a sony bluetooth piece and the back speakers were changed with some small speakers. The guy who did it said he changed all the speakers, but it was still a bad sounding setup. So in June we went back to the guy to figure out the factory blown out front speakers were still there. A while later and now there is kicker speakers in all the factory locations. Still doesn't have much bass but I can't put bigger speakers in the factory locations and I don't really want a sub. It sounds good enough to me, plus I don't listen to bass heavy music often.

This is the deck,

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So sometime in the winter when the car was still under rust repair, I decided to do something about the old rusty saggy soft springs. I told my dad I was thinking about getting lower springs but he said no. His opinions on lowering springs are that they're weak and break because he's seen quite a few cars come into our shop with cracked and broken aftermarket springs. He told me he heard of a guy near our shop who has a factory that makes springs.
We call the guy, and he comes over, measures the car and tells me about his company. Turns out they make springs from lifted trucks to drifting 240's.

In anycase no real measurements could happen till the flares were back on the back, so fast forward to june and rust repair is done, we call him over to check one last time. This time he notes that my frame is bent so around 1/8" difference from I think the front sides. Not to sure on that but it is bent somehow. It scared me at first but then I realized that it doesn't affect driving so its ok. A few weeks later we got the springs and put them in. Only problem is that they didn't lower the car at all, in fact the front seemed higher.

However, ateast the ride was 100x better than before and the car turned way sharper too, so I drove it like that for a bit more than a week before pulling them out.

Problem is that after we pulled them out, we were notified that their shop was busy moving around machines and equipment so it was going to be atleast a week. A week turned into two and I was just getting mad that my car was off road for two freakin weeks for such a dumb reason. Of course we could've just put the springs back on, but my dad said leave it, it'll only be a week and it's a pain to put them back on. Part way through the second week, the shop got really busy so we didn't have time to put them back on either.

Sigh, week 1

Week 2

Around the same time we first put on the new springs, I had ordered 25mm spacers for the rear and they showed up a week later.

Tried to test fit them a couple days later,

FAIL

I assumed that they somehow sent me the wrong bolt pattern, even thought the hub centric ring fit perfectly. To test, I happened to spot a nearby honda civic which conveniently had the wheels off.

And, I was right.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So I contacted works concepts, the company I bought from through ebay, and after requesting a picture which the spacers and the specs,

They agreed to send me a new set. Actually their customer service was really great and considering they had to contact ichiba themselves in Japan the second set came pretty fast, I think about a week. They also asked for my old set back, so I had my first experience with shipping something myself. Also I was kinda sad since inchiba wanted their original box back. I wanted to keep it cuz it looked cool, and the second set came in a plain square box.

So by the time I got the correct spacers, my springs were still out but I put them on anyway.

And threw a wheel on quick just to check it out.

And thus the car sat untill the springs were done.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Quick before spacers pic

Okay so, got the springs in, car on the ground on wednesday, but I didn't get around to pictures last night.
The end result was a drop around 1 point something all around. Also went to the weekly revscene meet in burnaby where I talked to Kyle, I think his name on here is flyingspurr90. If you're reading this, can you add me as a friend, cuz I can't find you.

Drove there with my cousins IS300 as company which you'll see in the background of some shots.

So yeah, here's all the after pics and how the car looks as of last night.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Future plans possibly include wheels, swaybars, exhaust, and an engine rebuild. After that I'll probably be done messing with the car untill I finish university and do something big like an engine swap or something.
That said, I probably won't update this with any progress anytime soon, maybe just a few pics every now and then.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My exhaust has been rattling for about a month and recently the rattling intensified, so we took a look at it,
Did some smacking on the cat and turns out it was shattered inside, so we cut it off. I shook it around and shit started wisping out and it made loud clanking noises. My dad figured that since my insurance and aircare run out in september, and aircare is not needed after december that we shouldn't worry about replacing it. He ordered a thrush glass pack and got it on.

Fresh glass pack b4 welds

Edit: Forgot to add that my leaky exhaust sound is gone and so is the rattling so its a success. The car is actually quieter than before and my whole interior stopped vibrating from 1500 to 3000 rpm. the dash still vibrates when giving gass around 2000 but It's not a big deal when I have almost 300,000k. I still don't know if I like the quietness or not though. Needs some more time testing.

I need some advice here guys, the stock exhaust diameter is 1 and 3/4'' right? Mine is a 2" pipe the whole way so I'm guessing it's already been slightly upgraded. Does that mean If I were to upgrade the exhaust I should do headers first since the exhaust is already somewhat done? I know the best exhaust size for NA is 2.25-2.5'' so it's not optimal, just wondering if that means it makes more sense to do the headers first.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Stock exhaust is basically 2 inchs. It crimps down tighter in places. Stock style mufflers are pretty restrictive, as are crush bends on the stock piping. Of course so is the stock exhaust manifold. I would do it all at once and make sure nothing necks down below the diameter you're aiming for (2.25 or 2.5). You get a little loss in low end power with 2.5, but a bit more on top. However, the stock EFI sucks and can't compensate well for big improvements in volumetric efficiency. You will run really rich on the top end with 2.5 all the way, 2.25 is a little easier to live with if standalone isn't in your future.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Damn, here I was hoping someone upgraded this so I wouldn't have to spend money. Though, to be honest not much of my piping is still stock, I already have a straight through magnaflow and getting that to fit required changing alot of the piping near the end, and even putting in the glass pack consumed alot of area too. However most of the bends are still factory so it is restrictive I guess.

I kinda did want to go 2.5 but I won't be doing standalone or anything like that for at least another 5 years, so I guess 2.25 it is. If upgrading it all at once is the best thing to do, then the whole exhaust system will probably have to wait till sometime next year. I'm estimating cost to be like atleast $700 for the whole thing, assuming $300 for piping and $300-400 for a pacesetter or obx. If thats the case I figure I'm better off getting swaybars first, then the exhaust.

Thanks alot for the advice, now at least I have that figured out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Also, since the car is going off the road in september, I'm stuck between using the winter to rebuild the 280k leaky 5M, rebuilding to make it 6M, or just skip all that and go 7M. Rebuilding the 5M straight up is probably the easiest but there's no massive hp gains, making it a 6M seems like a pain in the ass to figure out A/C or power steering cuz of the pulley, and 7MGE valve covers aren't as pretty.

Literally the only reason I don't want to go 7M is the valve covers. Also, I guess my 5M hasn't been proven as slow to me cause I've never actually compared or raced anything. Like we've had a 1999 prelude for the last few months and I've felt VTEC kick in yo and I can tell it's way faster but I don't really care. The amount of power the 5M has feels fine to me. I assume that if I ever get an ass whooping I'll probably be convinced to change it.

I guess changing to the 7M is the best option in the end though, so that's what I think I'm leaning towards. Does anyone know If I can keep my digital dash after swapping, and would there be any notable gas mileage change (I don't think there will cuz its practically the same engine but i can hope)?

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Gas mileage won't change much. 6m pulley situation is actually not that big of a deal now, that issue has been solved...

More 6m info in this thread...
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?69186-6MGE-thread-(JDM-inside)&highlight=7m+crank+pulley+belt+fix

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a 7m anything in this day and age. 2jzges are easier to find (though even those can be hard to find locally these days), cheap and are a lot more advanced. 7ms are too old, and the ge still leaves you stuck with an AFM. If you're going to rebuild a 5m\6m, get on it, rebuild parts are drying up fast. Pistons and valves are already a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Gas mileage won't change much. 6m pulley situation is actually not that big of a deal now, that issue has been solved...

More 6m info in this thread...
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?69186-6MGE-thread-(JDM-inside)&highlight=7m+crank+pulley+belt+fix

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a 7m anything in this day and age. 2jzges are easier to find (though even those can be hard to find locally these days), cheap and are a lot more advanced. 7ms are too old, and the ge still leaves you stuck with an AFM. If you're going to rebuild a 5m\6m, get on it, rebuild parts are drying up fast. Pistons and valves are already a bit of a problem.
Are you sure you're not just saying that cuz you went 6M? Haha just kidding,
You have convinced me though, one reason that I was considering 7M was that it was supposed to be cheap and quick, but my dad said the places that he gets engines from have none anymore, so that option seems to have gone away.

Yeah, I've read that thread over and over before and I think that will be the way to go, the original plan was to toss a resealed 7M in while I rebuild the 5M into a 6M, but if the engine is out, I might aswell just rebuild it and put it back in without worrying about a second engine laying around or wiring.

Since you mention parts availability, I guess I'll do a proper rebuild asap then, and not just gaskets, and also get the parts to go 6M aswell. Any idea on cost? I figure an engine kit is around $1000 and maybe bump up the bore and compression. My dad knows a machine shop too, so hopefully we can cut down costs for that too.

I'm thinking of getting the stuff from here,
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/pek-toyota.html
Do you mind if I ask how you got everything for your rebuild? Is wherever you got stuff from still available?

I'll research more about engine building, as I'm still pretty dumb on that. In anycase, nothing can go catastrophically wrong I hope, as I'm working with my dad who has been doing this shit for longer than I've been alive.

Also, about the Run of Ogopogo, I'm unable to go. Our shop's co-manager has left for his sons wedding for the next couple of weeks, and recently our shops been really pressured to just keep up. I'm spending most of my time there too helping out. I'll try making it out next year for sure!

Edit: Found a complete 91 7MGE w/ 240k, asking $400. Is that a good deal?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
This post of more a bookmark for me, but if I say something retarded, let me know.
Edit: I'm gonna edit this post to check off what parts I have and add or check off certain tasks.
So if I'm rebuilding an engine, I'm gonna need new gaskets, did a little bit of searching and apparently DNJ is a good kit,
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Toyota/Celica/DNJ/Engine_Gasket_Set/1984/DNJFGS9041.html

Rebuild Stuff ima need
New Gaskets
New Bearings
New Pistons/Rings
Thrust washers
New Valves

Also send off ye old 5M head to the machine shop

6M Conversion list parts ima need- (Copied and pasted straight outta that thread)
Edit: Since I picked up a full 91 7M from a cressida, I should have everything now. Unless I open it up to find wasted crank and rods... again...

-7M Block - Check
-7M connecting rods -Check-9/6
-7M crank - Check
-7M oil pump driveshaft - Check
-7M front main seal
-7M crank pulley bolt - Check
-7M woodruff key - Check
-7M Crank pulley - Check
-7M Timing Cases - Check

Things I have to do
-Machine 7M Block, Crank, Rods
-Send Head to machine shop
-Use 5M Timing Sprocket with 5M crank seal
-Cleaning and painting parts

Please let me know If I'm missing something important or have something completely wrong. Gonna read a bunch of 6M builds and engine rebuilds when its not 1 in the morning...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Run of the Ogopogo FTW

Just chiming in to say that Run of the Ogopogo this year was absolutely awesome. If you can, do try and make it next year. The events are really fun, but the members that come out really make it kick ass.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just chiming in to say that Run of the Ogopogo this year was absolutely awesome. If you can, do try and make it next year. The events are really fun, but the members that come out really make it kick ass.
I'll definitely try to make it out next year, I really want some inspiration for what to do with my car and I'm also really itching to go autocrossing too now!

41 - 60 of 344 Posts