Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yea, got off work tonight, get told some stuff about money I didn't want to hear so I'm pissed, and as I'm thinking about that, I realize my wipers aren't moving. They WERE moving when I started driving, and 5 minutes later they're not.

The INT setting hasn't worked since I got the car. Only time wipers move in that setting is when you set them to OFF mid windshield. If you then set it to INT they'll reset but never move again. You hear a clicking with when they should move in the passenger kick panel, but they don't move. If anyone can diagnose that for me that'd be great.

Tonight, LOW and HIGH went. But the motor works. You hear it, so I'm gonna have to see exactly what's happened inside.

It's not fun driving around the town in a drizzle with no wipers. Whether you're going 30 or 60 you still can't see shit. FAIL But at least I made it home safely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Couple of things come to mind:
- Wiper transmissions (linkage arms) under the cowl have slipped off somewhere - ball-and-socket connections. Take off the perforated access panels and see if they are flopping
- Bad electrical connection in the steering column stalk (yoke). Not repairable that I know of, need to replace.
- Linkages (Transmissions) are moving, but wiper arms don't. The wiper clutch isn't tight. Tighten the 12mm(14mm?) bolt at the base of the wiper arms.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for looking out. I'll check everything over when I can, hopefully I get up early enough in the AM to look before I head out.

Like I said, the wiper motor is definitely operating, I had a bud turn the wipers on in the car. You can feel the wiper motor operating, but that's the only place noise was coming from, and of course no movement from the wipers.

I had enough trouble finding a decent driver-side blade (Pep Boys stopped carrying it) and now it's doing me no good ha.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I had a similar problem and had good luck lubricating the linkage with spray lithium grease.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Last time it happened to me it was was because I hadn't turned off the wipers when I parked the car and the rain froze. Got on the next morning that when I started the car the wipers tried and then failed. The ball on the arm on the motor had popped off the linkage. Yes, the motor was turning but it wasn't hooked up to anything. No big deal aside from the mark from the palm to the forehead when I figured it out.

I also had one Supra that wouldn't turn the wipers off. I had to replace the controls on the steering column to fix that one...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I hope the plastic gear inside the wiper motor isn't stripped out - that could give you the same symptom.

Our two-tone had sketchy wipers when we bought it. I had to take the combination switch out and the wiper switch portion of it apart to clean and regrease the contacts. Works great now. When our cars get this old, dust/dirt builds up in the numerous electrical switches and renders them useless. Just something to watch out for as our cars age. Good luck with your fix!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the motor off the car. It was still hooked up to the wipers. And both wipers are still connected to each other. I like how it's easiest to remove the motor at TDC for the wipers haha.

So yea. Napa's selling them remanufactured $119, $149 if I get charged core, but I won't. I like how this motor cost more than fuel injectors haha. Uh...gonna shop around, and gotta see if I can find one in the junkyard.

HOLD THE PHONE, I'm picking up one from Donkey2 tomorrow. Parts Cars FTW

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a motor. Put it in, it works, but now the ball won't stay on the linkage. He gave me a new ball, and I should've taken that one off and kept the one that was on my car (it was still seated in the linkage), but I removed the one on my car, which took just a tad bit of effort to remove and now I can't get the linkage to hold the ball in worth shit.

So now the motor turns and slides right off the linkage. Some grease will do the trick you say sowsley? I'll get some and put it on while I'm at work today. It's cold outside, and I had to come in, I was definitely starting to get pissed.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Grease worked for me. Mine would run, but stick and stop. Grease seemed the obvious first and easiest thing, and it's worked fine for the last year.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Wipers can be a real b**ch sometimes, especially if the lower arm gets bent (doesn't seat and/or synchronize). I lost the retaining bolt on mine in a serious downpour... damn thing did the funky chicken all over the windshield! Also, I had to replace the motor before too, the one I got (from a celica) didn't have the intermittent setting, just high/low.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Take a CLOSE look at the socket that is falling off. Is it all there? I've seen MANY where one of the plastic 'ears' that line the socket is broken off and missing. Only cure for that is to replace the link with one that has good sockets.

Bob

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I don't think my intermittent problem is the motor, so far both motors have done the same thing. If wipers are stopped on the windshield TDC or past, they'll reset but won't move again if it's in INT.

Gonna try getting the ball to pop into the linkage some more tomorrow. I thought I was pressing hard enough, but maybe I wasn't. If the linkage is bad, Donkey2's got one for me. If I don't have INT still I'll worry about that later, wipers period is what I want at this point haha.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
If you get the linkage seated right and you're still having problems, I'm betting on the wiper switch electrical contacts. Ours were black, glazed over with grease that had turned to almost plastic with age. After a good cleaning and some new grease, they work good as new! Same thing happened with my hazard light switch on my 84.

Might I suggest Rain-X for the time being? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts