Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have been working on a custom
LCD Instrument Cluster. It runs on a microcomputer (Raspberry Pi) and a microcontroller that are tucked inside a regular Celica / Supra cluster. I am still waiting on the display to arrive before I can continue any further. It is plug and play. The speedometer will be GPS based (my Supra currently reads the speed incorrectly using the cable) In the event I get this working properly would anyone else be interested in one? Here is what I have for the theme on mine. Of course you would have options as i made this completely theme-capsble. You can choose your gauge needles, your background, splash screen, etc. There will be a way for you to enter your odometer so that you can keep your mileage accurate. I don't have photos yet as it is a work in progress.

Instrument Cluster

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would be. What pi are you using? I figure a 2 or 3 would be fine. I would like to see how you interface it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be. What pi are you using? I figure a 2 or 3 would be fine. I would like to see how you interface it.

I'm using a pi 4 with 4gb of ram. I'll have a complete write up on my site if I get this done successfully. Im pretty sure it will work. With the built in wifi and bluetooth of the pi4, I could have downloadable themes and a TPMS system built in.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Great idea. The buffering of signals to 5 volts to the GPIO will be interesting. I don’t have the 4 just the 3 but I think it will be enough to process the inputs. I wonder if the speed sensor from an r154 will work on w58.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know yet. I'm waiting on my pi4 to arrive. I put the code on a pi1 a+. It was way too slow as I expected. It works but the animation was choppy as hell. Basically the arduino will be the middleman between the pi GPIO and the supra. A config file will let you tune the settings. The original clock controls will get sacrificed for user controls. Not sure exactly how I will do it. The trip reset button (it's actually just a lever) may get a button attached for user interface as well. If so, itll probably be the "select" command.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
have you checked out https://www.cartft.com/community/carpcforum/index_html ?

hum.. not what it used to be it seams

Maybe it was mp3car I was thinking of (grr that's gone too?)

someone who found better links than me

Dang most of those links are broken too... all of my old links are dead too. I wonder what ever happened to centrafuse?

I did some research years ago but that was before the advent of the pi.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. We have come a long long way in 12 years. I thought of doing something like this in the past when I was much younger. The biggest challenge then was keeping the PC cool. The Pi runs fairly cool. I can't wait to see how the Pi4 runs. I don't imagine it being too hot. Basically this instrument cluster gets the signals that are already being passed to it through the factory harnesses. Then the signals are processed through the Arduino (microcontroller). The raspberry Pi is more than capable of doing this as well so I may in the end bypass the Arduino if there are enough GPIO pins that can be used for input. The Raspberry Pi then will take the processed signals and will server up a web page to the display. The page will then call back to the web server (itself) and ask for the updated information. The information will of course then be displayed on the screen in the form of gauges and will merely rotate the needles as necessary.

I didn't want to go with a touchscreen as the MKII instrument cluster has a curve to it. I could have had a custom LCD panel made with a curve but as you can imagine, that is insanely expensive. I opted for a fairly rare 1024 x 600 pixel 9" display panel. I decided to put the display inside the instrument cluster to avoid dust as well. I may run USB lines to my center console where I can attach a mouse and keyboard or maybe one of these.

Favormates MX3 Air Mouse Backlit Remote Control Keyboard

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Hmmm very cool. I would like to do something similar for one of my cars eventually.

If you are putting the screen inside the cluster, what difference does the curvature of the lens make then?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because I put it in the cluster it makes no difference. But it also means it cannot be touch screen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd be interested in it. Curious how easy it would be to calibrate some of the fields. Never done any pi stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking the same about the later Lexus SC300s running W58s. Wouldn't those VCC sensors be a direct fit?
I just found a pic of the back of a 1997 Lexus sc300 instrument cluster and that one looked like it was set up similar to my MKII so yeah it is probably possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be interested in it. Curious how easy it would be to calibrate some of the fields. Never done any pi stuff.
Since the raspberry pi is set up to be a web server that serves pages locally, I have a config page that you can navigate to. Completing the form builds an .ini file. You could pull the ini file and edit it directly too. There will be a similar process set up for building themes. But those will likely get built on my live server and then you could download your theme and even choose to share your theme. I know there are some great artists out there that would love to create themes for something like this.

This will be open source.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since the raspberry pi is set up to be a web server that serves pages locally, I have a config page that you can navigate to. Completing the form builds an .ini file. You could pull the ini file and edit it directly too. There will be a similar process set up for building themes. But those will likely get built on my live server and then you could download your theme and even choose to share your theme. I know there are some great artists out there that would love to create themes for something like this.

This will be open source.
Very cool!!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Depending on what you are looking to do, this may be a good solution: MPGuino and cluster to cruise control vss

If you build a small add on gauge and leave the stock cluster in place, it has a VSS signal the speedo sends to the cruisecontrol. You can then calc that however you like and show accurate MPH on your add on gauge. Works well for me.

·
Founding Member
6,331 Posts
I'll be curious to see how this turns out. I'm usually more of an originality guy, but I saw this on an episode of British series "Car SOS" and thought it seemed like a really cool idea....

Not being tech savvy and Raspberry Pi to me meaning only a tart desert food, I assume you are doing something similar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'll be curious to see how this turns out. I'm usually more of an originality guy, but I saw this on an episode of British series "Car SOS" and thought it seemed like a really cool idea....

Not being tech savvy and Raspberry Pi to me meaning only a tart desert food, I assume you are doing something similar.
Well dang it! at 8:30 in he covers the part I wasn't going to bring up yet. I intend to have a low jack option that can be used to let the owner locate his car and see who is / has been driving it. But yes. Very similar. But I believe mine looks better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts