Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Were having a bit of a problem. Me and a friend did the +3 Degree intake advance and -3 exhaust cam retard modification. everything lines up perfect as far as TDC 0 degree on the compression stroke on the crank compared with the cams. Dizzy is set right. It seems to try to fire the first time we fire it, then the engine dumps so much fuel into the cylinders that it floods. You can smell the fuel dump instantly. I cant figure it out. The car was running like a champ till we did this modification. First thing tomorrow is to set the car back to stock, and warm it up, then advance and retard the timing to the altered state. We cant figure why it suddenly wants to dump so much more fuel. Maybe the O2 sensor is telling it to dump fuel? Its like the car is trying to run in limp mode?? I have the AFM set to the stock settings right now. I was thinking of trying to lean it out? but i dont think this is the correct answer.
ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Did reset the dizzy after the advance on the cam. Bet your one tooth off now as it is 3 on the cam but 6 on the dizzy now making it 16 when running which equals hard cold starts. Or your engine has bad compression to begin with so you are lowing it even more with the big over lap on the cams.

Why are you adjusting the cams? There is not much gain there just a shift in torque range. But what do I know?

1.5 degs on the intake is all you need.
that is done by moving the center pins one hole advanced not by just moving the cam one tooth. This will let your engine peak at red line by leaving the intake valve open a bit longer and pull in just a bit more a/f with out shoving it out the exhaust before it is all burnt.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did reset the dizzy after the advance on the cam.
Why are you adjusting the cams? There is not much gain there just a shift in torque range. But what do I know?
Also, Ill recheck the dizzy AGAIN, but 99.9 percent positive it was reset.
Also,
Anything is an improvement.

1.5 degs on the intake is all you need.
that is done by moving the center pins one hole advanced not by just moving the cam one tooth. This will let your engine peak at red line by leaving the intake valve open a bit longer and pull in just a bit more a/f with out shoving it out the exhaust before it is all burnt.
Thats how we did the trick was using the dowel pins.

Thank you, ill recheck in a couple hours

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Comp test it. You moved the cams to much or like I stated your engine has low comp and cant handle the adjustments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts