Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people Wuz up, for the past year my supra has had a massive oil leak, it leaks like 2 quarts of oil every 2 weeks, i know thats a lot but i dont have any money right i quit my job like 2 months ago, but my mom no longer believes in my supra so shes doesnt want to help me fixed it, she on the other hand wants to buy a newer car like a sentra or corolla 99 or 98, any ways i wanted you guys opinion if i should get a rebuild on my 207950 mile engine or buy a new engine or just wait for the rabid chimp to finish there 6mge engine, over where im at a new 83 p type engine cost 3000 dollars with autozone, what do u guys think i should do :?:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
First of all, where is the oil leak coming from????

Could be something simple, like one of the seals, but where??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no idea, the bottom of the engine is covered with oil, however towards the top of the engine theres no oil, where the cams or the headers are theres no oil that is visible,so it must be coming from the bottom i guess

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try lookn at ya main crank oil seal.......at the millage you have done the front seals will prob need to be replaced...

not to hard or exspensive to do, but when ya do the crank seal do the cam seals at the same time

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
heh 1 qt a week isn't a drop compared to my 2-3qts a DAY ha, anyway I've always believed when that front main seal goes out, you know it. Mains usually leak very profusely, kinda like the leakage I'm going through~ but you should try degreasing your engine and pay real close attention where it's coming from. If you have to determine if it's the front main seal, I'd fill her up, put the parking brake on, turn the car on, and lay under the car until you saw it drip from there. If it tends to leak more when you're parked on slants, I'd guess an oil pan gasket~~ hope this helps any ;)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
has anyone here ever done an oil pan gasket (rtv) w/o removing the entire engine from the car, it just seems impossible to do it anyother way? jw.

my 84 had a lot of leaks when it had its 5m, found out later that someone had definilty been in the engine, wrong bolts and stripped out bolts where part of the cause, but if its coming from the font of the engine then most likely it is your front seals, but you'd have to definitly clean it off and go from there.

·
3,283 Posts
it's not terribly difficult. disconnect the motor mounts and jack up the engine ~6-8 inches. takes a bit of wiggling to get it out, but easier than removing the engine. it took me about 2 hours to get out the pan, do a quick visual inspection and reinstall.

Mike

trdmkii said:
has anyone here ever done an oil pan gasket (rtv) w/o removing the entire engine from the car, it just seems impossible to do it anyother way? jw.

my 84 had a lot of leaks when it had its 5m, found out later that someone had definilty been in the engine, wrong bolts and stripped out bolts where part of the cause, but if its coming from the font of the engine then most likely it is your front seals, but you'd have to definitly clean it off and go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts