1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
master cylinder death

just blown my MC
i was using an MK3 unit ,toy ask more than 100 euros for the rebuid kit...:duh:

so before buying it , i want to ask if their is an other option..

i was looking on the web site of wilwood but no ref for mkII or mkIII

like i am running Jim KING BBK on all corners i am asking if their is an MC upgrade possibilities??

any crazy braker here??

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've been seeing new master cylinders on ebay lately. Maybe they are buying the Rock Auto closeouts and reselling them.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I bought a MK2 unit (Raybestos - does not come with cap or float level sensor) from Rockauto.com about $100 US, look for coupon code online for 5% off.

Wasn't the JK BBK upgrade designed with a stock MK2 unit brake master cylinder?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Scratch that, Sorry.

Didn't realize how low the exchange had gotten for euros :(

I paid about that for a complete reman unit

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Rock Auto Parts (rockauto.com) has 3 different brands to choose from, Raybestos, Dorman and AC Delco, ranging in price from $90.79 to $97.79. (I was looking up the MK2 MC, not the MK3)

You can view their website in English, French, German and Japanese, and they ship internationally. I hope this is helpful to you.

Here is the Outside US Shipping Policy from their website:

Our catalog contains applications for vehicles in the United States, Canada, and Europe. Vehicles with a flag next to them (European model for European models or Canadian model for Canadian models) are unique to those markets. Vehicles with no flag were sold in the US (and possibly other countries also). We welcome customers throughout the world. But if your vehicle was built for a different market, please use caution when ordering. And though our return policies apply equally to US and international orders, shipping international returns can be expensive.

If a tax line (identified as GST in Canada, VAT in the UK, etc.) appears on your order, we will pre-pay tax (and any import duties which may apply) for that shipment. The carrier will deliver with no additional charges due, offering you the same convenience our U.S. customers enjoy. Our tax registration number will appear on your order confirmation so you may reclaim input tax if you resell the product.

Prepayment of tax is limited to certain countries, warehouses and ship methods. If a tax amount does not appear for a portion of your order, we are unable to prepay tax for that shipment. For example, if part of your order is shipping via mail, or from a warehouse that is not set up for tax-prepaid shipments, no tax line may appear for that warehouse's portion of the order, even though a tax line does appear for items shipping from warehouses which can prepay tax.

If taxes or other import fees are due for a shipment, the carrier may ask you to pay them when your order is delivered. To avoid surprises, please contact your local customs office before placing an order to ask what charges may apply. We will be happy to assist you in gathering information (e-mail Customer Service) but a final determination can only be made by local authorities.

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
REBUILT Master Cylinder

I got mine at Schucks,Murray,Cragen for $50.No resevoir.Pay attention to the fitting provided! You may have to use the old one for an adapter. I'm on my 2nd MC on my MKII. If you stick a hard drive magnet on the end it will trap the metal particles inside and it won't kill the seals.I'm the magnet boy,I guess. I use them in ALL fluid systems in my '84.PS,AT,AC,heater core and radiator. Dave in Seattle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
G'day guys,
Replaced a front brake line on the ute due to transport damage but because the pedal went to the floor its pushed the master cylinder piston beyond its normal travel and obviously picked up some cr*p and now its leaking out the pushrod end. Repco say no PBR kit only replacement complete cylinder...$360! (Imagine what Mr Nissan wants)

Anyone done this job lately and are there cups and seals available or any other alternatives for reasonable $$$

Cheers SOLO

online computer repair service | chlamydia testing kit | chinese wholesale | personal training gold coast

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
G'day guys,
Replaced a front brake line on the ute due to transport damage but because the pedal went to the floor its pushed the master cylinder piston beyond its normal travel and obviously picked up some cr*p and now its leaking out the pushrod end. Repco say no PBR kit only replacement complete cylinder...$360! (Imagine what Mr Nissan wants)

Anyone done this job lately and are there cups and seals available or any other alternatives for reasonable $$$

Cheers SOLO
Get a rebuilt one. See the post just above yours. $50+ ship. Know anyone in the states? Maybe Bob S.(tone deaf) has a line in a rebuild. DO NOT PANIC! I know that some rebuild kits are crap and sometimes it's impossible to fix a dead MC: the pitting inside cannot be honed out to "round",again. Change your fluid on a regular basis w/DOT 3/4. I did my own twice. If it goes to the floor,it's gonna be a recycle piece of iron,usually. Sorry it happened and it will happen again. Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts