Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here we go. This car has been a interesting thing for the past 3 months.
To introduce the car properly, it is (as the title suggests) a black 1984 p-type (the paint is a respray, the original color is a maroon/chocolate/brown color. It has 157k miles, transmission shifts ok (according to friends who have driven it they note how smooth the w58 is, so I might be lucky and have a good condition drivetrain :zzzzz:)

The recent items that have been refreshed/changed are: New clutch (at 156k), transmission fluid flush (not sure if it was a full flush or just a quick fluid drain and fill), engine gasket overhaul (rear main, cam seals, head gasket, etc.). The only seal left untouched was the valve stem seals. As a consequence of this the 5m burns some oil, more when I flog on it and keep it above 3-4k. I estimate ~8oz every 300-1000 miles, al dependent on driving style. I have never properly measured the consumption, but I check the oil levels the day after every "spirited drive" and every week or so. The transmission has no visible leaks and as stated earlier, seems to shift smoothly, with exception of not wanting to go in to first until the speed is under 10mph (I have been told this is normal). To round off the drivetrain, the 5m gives smooth acceptable power and doesnt really feel down on power (as far as I know).

The next section will cover the dreaded issue of rust, I was told by the previous owners that the car has "little to no rust", I was extremly skeptical but took what they said at face value. I basically purchased this car with minimal research in to the common problems of the celica supra. Impulse buys aside, the drivers side front quarter panel (near the rocker panel) was apparently repaired for rust via being patched by a welder. The whole underside has been sprayed with a black rubber/bedliner coating. There is some bubbling under the gas cap door. And most recently, I lifted up the floor mat and found the carpet to be *wet* which was deeply disturbing, as we have had heavy rains for the past 3 days before I found this. It appears that both passenger and driver side carpet floors were wet. I found this out as I was climbing up a mountain road with a group of friends. I want to optimistically chalk it up to condensaition from a hot exhaust that leaks right at the cat. After reading many of "suprafiend's" posts concerning rust issues on seemingly clean cars, I am thinking it is something much worse. Especially after seeing how deep the rust goes on our cars. There is only one exposed spot of rust, it is in the top corner of the engine bay, tucked up against the firewall. The more I read about the potential for rust, the more down I become, but im still happy with my purchase.

Lastly, I have worries about the suspension, particularly the front end, which has positive camber (a slight amount, but it still worries me). I will be buying camber plates to hopefully rectify this issue, in addition to the monster truck status of the car. Topping off the suspension quirks, the rear end sits lower than the front by a considerable margin, and the previous owners told me they replaced the rear shocks with "above oem quality" and left the springs alone. The front end was left alone. The rear shocks don't oscillate and feel tight in dampening/response. The front struts on the other hand, oscillate and wallow over highway bumps, and the car takes an extra "bounce" to settle when doing the infamous blown suspension test.

To round things off , the only after market parts that I can visually identify are: the misplaced and misaligned supra sticker on the rear hatch (above the lock cylinder and crooked), and the 2.5inch raptor racing exhaust, with high flow cat.

So that is the end of my celica supra introduction, I dont have much money, but I plan on keeping the car in good condition and bringing it up a couple of notches in terms of suspension and engine power. For now I will have to sort out the car and solve some of the issues it has, which will be continued/elaborated on in the next post.

Here are some pictures of the car in question, which include a couple of the rust spots, a front end picture, a rear end picture, a crappy quality rear seat/interior picture, plus a pic or two unrelated to all this over some pretty mountainside views.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice car. Id say you made a good purchase even if there is slight rust. That amount seems minimal compared to most I've found. Id find that water leak if there is one first thing and squash that now before it does become a big problem!

If its a manual transmission then there isnt a "flush" for it as there isnt a cooler or any hidden passageways like in an auto. It's just drain and fill to change trans fluid.

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
It's good to see you back on the forum,Manvir!
You are WAY busy with school and other life issues,totally.

I PREFER that hatch badge placement. Mine is wrong,too. No sweat.
This forum will be alive when you decide to post.
We never make mistakes. Yeah,right.

Those minor rust issues are fixable,with a bit of searching and some chemicals. GREAT photos,BTW.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Sounds like a good purchase, and seems to be in very good hands for being properly maintained and fixed back to it's former glory days!

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the reference. Although I could probably find multiple spots where there is a little rust, I'm sure the wet floors are not from that. Sunroof is the usual culprit, if this is a sunroof car. Check your drains first off, open the roof and peer at them with a flash light in all 4 corners and make sure they aren't plugged. Then test them with a hose and make sure they are draining outside. Each drain exits at a corner of the car. Behind the rear wheels for the rear ones, under where the door hinges are for the front ones. If they check out, it could be your quater glass, though though when those leak they often give you a wet seatbelt. Just remove some interior (you should pull the carpets out anyways to dry them before they get really gross) and have someone spray the car wtih a hose while you sit in it and watch for leaks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's good to see you back on the forum,Manvir!
You are WAY busy with school and other life issues,totally.

I've actually been pretty free this summer, haha. I've been on the site pretty frequently too, just been really lazy in regards to updating and posting.
I'm always here... waiting... watching... lurking.......

Edit: Like he said above^ might be the sunroof, mine was plugged way back when and i had similar problems

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate all the replies.
The dampness pooling in the front floorpans smells like rotten fish on my hands if I touch it. I will most likely check the spots that @suprafiend mentioned for clogged drain holes. I also forgot to show the rust in the spare tire well, which was shown to me by the owner. He claimed it was from a plugged drain hole, but he "solved" the issue by un-clogging it. Also, in terms of the sunroof leaking, wouldn't it cause water to drip on the seats? There is now water mor moisture on the floor mats, one of which is rubber, the dampness is on the carpet below them, while the mats are dry. Regardless I will start poking around the sunroof and see if a botched respray blocked any drainage holes.

I am indifferent to the hatch sticker placement now, but it is so irritating to see it slightly crooked and off center, so that will have to be rectified immediately. I am living the broke college student life, so improvements will happen slowly.

Now to get to the "meat and potatoes of this makeshift "update". A friend of mine (purple mark 3 supra in the mountainside pic in the original post) notified me of a single mark 2 supra at a junkyard ~30ish miles away from me. I needed a grill and some other trim pieces, so I made the trip and it turned out the poor thing was in extrememly rough shape. By looking at the inspection sticker, it appeared to have sat since 2002! After poking around it, I estimated it to be a late 1983 model (L type). It had some interesting bits, it was an automatic car without the digital dash, and it had the 130mph speedometer, but it didnt have the lights for the automatic transmission on the cluster. By that I mean: there was no "norm" "pwr" lights for the transmission "modes". Im not sure on the specifics but it was an overall strange car (in my opinion) pics will be included below. I scored an ok grill with some screws, and grabbed the supra banged steering wheel center piece. The Toyota lettering on the grill is tinged gold, I am not sure if the lettering is supposed to be white or some other color, but I am happy I got the grill at a reasonable price.

And now for the disheartening pictures:

Here are the only two things that I tried to salvage from it:

And one more bonus picture of my dead clutch slave cylinder:

***Edit*** Im really sorry for the misaligned photos, they came out ok when I took them, but when I uploaded to photobucket they became flipped, probably a mistake on my part.

·
POTATO
17,207 Posts
A: They repainted it to Black, which is the best mk2 color ever, which I'm sure you agree ;)

B: Its easier if you just call it what it is. Its brown. Someone painted a brown car black.

Black is best yes, but black is best when everything is black not just Maaco special the outside and to hell with the jams and engine bay and stuff lol.

Living with a body shop guy has made me more critical of bad/lazy paint jobs.

p.s. I do want to own a BROWN car at some point!

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is very sad to see... Nice find with the grill though!

Tip, might want to avoid photobucket, they just crapped all over my thread recently. I switched to google photos, if you upload to shared albums or make a private album into a shared album, it'll work the same. I'm sure other people have alternative ways to post up pictures too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good call Manvir, I guess the next post(s) will feature google photos. Also, Tanya it looks like the previous owners had the door jams painted black, along with the hatch area. Everything except the lower half of the engine bay is the one stage black paint. I still am debating on whether or not I should restore it to its BROWN glory.

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
I think that I missed something here.:rolleyes:
There was a leaf-ridden supra that was in a wrecking yard that I saw.
There are still some good parts to be had there.
I went to Imgur and Tanya likes( ____) and there are more hosting sites.Do some looking and look on the forum,please.

Like I said,that car has PARTS that are valuable! An '84?

The grille badge is OEM gold colored,but you can change it's color,if you want to.A few owners leave the badge OFF.

That parts car looks like a 'L' type to me. No fender flares. It has the P type wheels. Cool.
Thanks for posting the VIN. That will be helpful in the ID of the vehicle.

GREAT PIX,BTW. Thanks!

We shall continue.If I didn't give a shit, I wouldn't post!
The lurkers are out there,and I salute you all.
Stay with this forum,please.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, quick update (no pictures sorry). I have always had a small leak in the clutch fluid reservoir. The kicker is I bought the damn car with it, and I never ever saw brake fluid on the floor under the car, so I ignored it and kept an eye on the clutch fluid level, adding dot 3 brake fluid as needed. After changing out a very dead slave cylinder, I still had a leaking issue, after long drives, I would wake up and see that the fluid level went down by 50%, so to avoid getting air in the system, I would fill it back up.

So yesterday I finally got tired of it all and had a couple friends around after an extended cars and coffee. I also happened to have a spare duralast master cylinder for the car lying around. So we got to tearing the unit out of the car. While I was unbolting the engine bay bolts, a friend was having a go at the firewall bolts (inside the cabin), he ended up finding where the leaked fluid was going to. As you can imagine, the rear seal of the master cylinder was puking brake fluid into the cabin, covering a majority of the firewall. After that small but inconsequential hiccup, we got to installing the duralast master cylinder. Let me go ahead and cut to the chase about this god awful unit. Installing it was a nightmare, at first we bolted the unit on the cabin/firewall side but found out it was nearly impossible to thread one of the bolts. Bottom line, the new master cylinder was too thick, by approximately 5-10mm (that's the extra thickness from both sides added together). It was a supreme PITA, but we finally got the sucker on.
Im sorry about the low quality post, me and my friends finished right as the sun set, and we were all running on less than 3 hours of sleep. After we finished I was too pissed with god-awful debacle to take any pictures. I will try to follow up with a picture post showing where the new duralast unit is too thick, and where you would possibly run into issues.

As a final note, it seems the master cylinder was an oem/original part, it had (aisine) stamped on it. So that was potentially the unit bolted on from the factory in 1983, shame it had to have crapped out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
grav,

You are not only one that has had the master cylinder issue you might want to check and see if there was break fluid leaked into the driver side foot well as that was common for the 3 master cylinders that have gone bad on my car. good luck withe the car and fix that rust before it becomes a problem and you might want to check under the back seats if it has that much rush on the exterior.

Enjoy the ride.

Kelvin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is a large amount of fluid leakied into the driver's side foot-well, I really should just strip the interior and see what I am working with in terms of fluid(s) to clean up, and rust to inventory. Also I found some more rust spots, I guess @ suprafiend wasn't lying when he mentioned "most of these cars have rust"

1 - 20 of 44 Posts