Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: New pics and narrative added, beginning with post #50 on page 5, post #54 on page 6 and post # 142 on page 15.

This story actually began in May 2010 at the 15th Annual ALL-TOYOTAFEST, held every year at Queen Mary Park in Long Beach, CA. It was my first year attending this event. As I was walking around with a good friend, looking at all the wonderful cars, we came across the MKII Celica Supra section and saw two absolutely stunning examples of the MKII Supra. The first car was painted in Lamborghini yellow, which I promptly labeled the Screaming Yellow Zonker, and the second was a bright red MKII that was every bit as stunning as the yellow car. As luck would have it, the two owners were standing nearby and that is how I got to meet Roger Reyes and Nestor Rodriquez, two guys who quickly became friends of mine and whose contributions to this project are almost beyond belief. More on this later.

I purchased my first “P” Type brand new in November 1982 (MY 1983) and had the car almost seven years to the day before she was stolen. Corky Bell helped be turbocharge that car and I had the first set of 16-inch 3-piece Epsilon wheels in the country on the car, so the loss was quite painful, to say the least. Twenty-three years after having my first car taken from me, I bought my second MKII, a 1985 super silver “P” Type 5MT from Eric Green, the wonderful former owner of this car and a great steward of the MKII Celica Supra legacy.

One of the keys for me in deciding to purchase this car was the following link: http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?59879-Giving-it-a-try-my-quot-new-quot-85-). The link was sent to me by my good friend Roger Reyes (REYESSUPRA on celicasupra.com and supraforums), with the note, “Ken, I think this may be the one.” Roger put me in contact with Eric Green and it only took one phone conversation between us to make the deal. The car was in Albuquerque, NM, so I made arrangements with Roger for the two of us to drive to New Mexico, pick up the car and trailer it back to California. As luck would have it, I was bed-ridden for about two weeks with an illness that put me down for the count and spanned the period of time I was supposed to drive with Roger to pick up the car. Good friend that he is, Roger substituted his wife for me (good choice!), made a mini-vacation out of it and drove to and from Albuquerque to pick up the car and bring it to my home. Below are some pics of the car the way she looked when she arrived at my home on December 2, 2012:

The 2012 holiday season limited my time to get truly acquainted with the car, but I was able to put 98-miles on her before delivering the car to Nestor Rodriguez on January 14, 2013 for work to begin on this project. During this time, I cleaned up the car, of course, and took a few “before” pics because I knew I would not have the opportunity to do so after a month or so of ownership. Here are a few pics taken after the first time I washed and waxed her. They reflect the excellent care the car received under Eric Green’s ownership:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
January 14, 2013 to May 1, 2013. Those dates represent the beginning and “end” of my first ever restoration-type project. I’ve modded many cars before, but almost all were bought new. Bella was 27-years old when purchased. Even though she was in excellent condition, I decided early on to be fairly comprehensive in my approach to making her mine. To accomplish my goal of making her good for the next 30-years, I spent hours each day for most of November 2012 and virtually all of December 2012 conducting research regarding parts selection on celicasupra.com. Two guys, GeorgeTsatalbasidis of Raptor Racing and Roger Reyes, were tremendously helpful to me during this phase of the project. During my research, it became abundantly clear to me that, to accomplish my goal to have a car as good as factory new, and better in some respects, for the next 30-years, I needed to start with a vehicle in excellent condition. Buying Bella from Eric Green satisfied this critical condition.

I’m an old guy and have tinkered with every performance car I have ever owned. I have tremendous experience in dealing with aftermarket companies, plying their wares for various platforms, and I have encountered the best and the worst the automotive aftermarket has to offer. In conducting my research, I looked at everything available on CS.com and went through each catalog to identify parts still being produced and determining which ones would best help me meet my goal. As a result, I contacted George of Raptor Racing and the rest, as they say, is history. I do not believe I have ever come across a company owner who is as honest, straightforward and responsive as George is. Emails, texts and even the occasional phone call, you name it, and George was always there to answer my questions, provide solicited advice, save me from myself and always taking care to not impose his thoughts or biases on my process. By explaining things to me in whatever detail was required to garner my understanding and asking pertinent questions to better understand what I was trying to accomplish, we were able to engage in a very productive, collaborative process that resulted in a car that accomplishes everything I wanted to do, and more.

During the 2012 holiday season, I wound up purchasing what seemed like everything that was available in various Raptor Racing catalogs. Even though most people were having fun with family and friends the week between Christmas and New Year’s, George and I, two dyed-in-the-wool car fanatics, burned the midnight oil to get me a host of parts in time to commence this project in earnest on January 14, 2013. On the Toyota OEM front, Roger Reyes did exactly the same thing for me that George had done in the aftermarket arena. Roger’s intimate knowledge of the MKII is stop-the-presses amazing, recalling from memory dozens of OEM parts I would need to complete the project, but it goes much further than that. Given my lack of knowledge on the OEM side of things, Roger spent countless hours with me, explaining the benefits of replacing various parts “while we’re in there”. Moreover, he ordered ALL the OEM parts for me (and some aftermarket items not supplied by Raptor Racing), paid for them, took delivery and was reimbursed by me for his time and effort.

This process with Roger enabled me to select and pay for a variety of OEM parts, a number of which I thought had been discontinued. Anyway, the car was delivered to Nestor Rodriguez, builder of Roger’s yellow car, and a number of other very nice MKIIs, on January 14, 2013. Shortly after, Roger and I began making deliveries of all the parts that had been acquired shortly after taking possession of the car (actually acquired the a/c compressor before I legally owned the car). A few pics of this process follow:

Ready for work to begin:

Parts deliveries:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The last project-related conversation I had with George, my “To-Do” list numbered about 45-items. Once work began in earnest, and I had a better idea of what was needed to accomplish my goal, the list gradually grew until it was more than double the size it was when I finished making all my purchases from George. Many things on the list may seem like small, relatively insignificant details but, for a neophyte like me, I used the list to keep track of the project and to provide updated versions of the list to Nestor Rodriguez and Roger Reyes to ensure we all remained on the same page. I also used color coding to note items that were completed and items remaining outstanding. Given my experience in modding cars, I attempted to collect 100% of the parts we were going to use before work started on the car. I did not succeed entirely, but I believe we had 90% of the parts in our possession by January 14, 2013. At the end of the project, this is what my list looked like:

Ken Henderson’s 1985 Toyota Celica Supra
Resto-Mod List

BODY WORK:
1. Remove dings on roof of car;
2. Remove ding on top of driver’s fender;
3. Remove dings on top of passenger’s fender
4. Repair dent on driver’s door;
5. Trim rear quarter panel lips underneath rear flares and inside rear wheel wells for additional wheel/tire clearance; Trim underneath front flare as well;
6. Re-spray entire car in Super Silver (paint code 150);
7. Install new windshield and new windshield moulding x 3;
8. Install new hood nozzles x 2 (using nozzles currently on the car);
9. Install new sunroof rubber seal/ gasket to ensure new look;
10. Install new whiskers;
11. Install new OEM rubber door seals;
12. Install new door body side mouldings x 2;
13. Install new MKIV Supra door checks;
14. Install new rear wiper blade;
15. Install new hood stops;
16. Install new padlock cylinder gasket;
17. Install new Supra Trunk Decal;

MECHANICAL WORK:
18. Install new battery tie-down;
19. Install new battery terminal;
20. Install new heater valve and hose (will use existing hose);
21. Install new Trust Header and Trust 2 – 1 End Pipe;
22. Install Raptor Racing 2.5-inch exhaust piping;
23. Install Raptor Racing Metallic Catalytic Converter or Test Pipe;
24. Install Drift Motion stainless steel clutch line;
25. Install new Raptor Racing S3 short shifter;
26. Install Apexi SW2 universal muffler (mate to Raptor Racing exhaust piping);
27. Powder coat front control arm black (semi-gloss);
28. Powdercoat rear subframe black (semi-gloss);
29. Powder coat rear control arms black (semi-gloss)
30. Install new Raptor Racing rear Camber Correction Brackets;
31. Install new, Raptor Racing steering rack bushings;
32. Install new, Super Pro front control arm bushings;
33. Install new, Super Pro rear diff mount bushings;
34. Install new, Super Pro rear subframe bushings;
35. Install new Super Pro rear control arm bushings;
36. Install KYB 8-way adjustable short-stroke rear shocks;
37. Install TechnoToyTuning Roll Center Adjusters;
38. Install new Ground Control front weld-on coilovers, including MR2 short-stroke shocks for front suspension;
39. Install new TechnoToyTuning front Tension Control Rods;
40. Install Dobinson Rear Lowering Springs and KYB AGX short stroke shocks;
41. Install used (200-miles) Cusco Camber Plates;
42. Install new Whiteline front and rear sway bars;
43. Install new Jim King BBK, front and rear, including Technafit stainless steel brake lines, Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valve and Residual Pressure Valves x 2;
44. Install new Coleman rotors, front and rear as part of Jim King BBK;
45. Install new Toyota ’95 4Runner 4WD, non-ABS brake master cylinder using OEM MA61 booster;
46. Conduct 4-wheel alignment;
47. Install new A/C compressor;
48. Install new A/C dryer (handled by Broadway Radiator);
49. Install new MKIII radiator conversion using new Koyo radiator;
50. Install 1988 Toyota MKIII Supra radiator shroud;
51. Install new MKIII radiator brackets;
52. Install Toyota Red coolant;
53. Reupholster driver’s seat bottom and left side seat back bolster (handled by Fibrenew);
54. Reupholster passenger’s seat bottom left bolster (handled by Fibrenew);
55. Install new CocoMats ;
56. Install new Momo Jet 350 mm steering wheel with Momo hub adaptor;
57. Install new Cusco rear suspension brace;
58. Install new TSC V2 rear suspension brace;
59. Install new TRD radiator cap for Koyo radiator;
60. Install new TRD oil cap;
61. Install new TRD shift knob;
62. Install new Blitz stainless steel air filter (including 3 new couplers);
63. Install new CCW Classics/4 in Hyper Hyper Silver, size 18 x 8.5, front, and 18 x 10.5, rear, on 245/35/18, front, and 295/30/18 Michelin PS2 tires;
64. Substitute TiTek race 7075 aluminum alloy lug nuts (short) for CCW lug nuts;
65. Install new OEM fan blade;
66. Install new OEM Rear Main Seal;
67. Install new OEM Transmission Seal x 2;
68. Install new OEM Transmission Mount;
69. Install new OEM Oil Pan Seal (Nut);
70. Install new OEM Lower Arm Caps;
71. Install new OEM Drain Plug Gasket;
72. Paint engine block OEM black;
73. Paint fuel rail GReddy blue (semi-gloss);
74. Paint Cusco Camber Plates GReddy blue (semi-gloss);
75. Paint timing cover aluminum backing plate super silver;
76. Paint cam towers super silver;
77. Paint exposed metal on valve covers super silver and clear coat (handled by McPeak Pinstriping);
78. Paint intake manifold super silver;
79. Paint Rabid Chimp Intake super silver;
80. Paint “EFI” background on intake manifold black (semi-gloss); EFI lettering to remain silver;
81. Paint timing gear cover black (semi-gloss);
82. Paint brake booster black (semi-gloss);
83. Zinc plate all bolts, screws, nuts, tubing, clamps, etc., in engine compartment (handled by El Monte Plating);
84. Powder coat LJM strut bar black (gloss);
85. Paint LJM strut bar end links GReddy blue (gloss);
86. Install new OEM valve cover gaskets x 2;
87. Install new OEM valve cover grommets x 8;
88. Install new OEM cam tower gaskets x 2;
89. Install new OEM front cam plate seal and new OEM rear cam plate seal;
90. Install new OEM manifold gasket x 2;
91. Install new OEM throttle body gasket;
92. Install new OEM Idle Control Valve gasket;
93. Install new OEM EGR gasket;
94. Install new OEM Cold Start Injector;
95. Install new OEM 7M-GE clutch;
96. Resurface OEM flywheel (handled by Dougan’s Machine);
97. Re-thread OEM crank bolt.
98. Install new OEM crank front seal;
99. Install new OEM oil shaft seal

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The first major task tackled was the new suspension. The program was ambitious and there was a lot to be accomplished in the time available. Working with George, and because one of the bags had opened in transit, I took inventory of the Jim King BBK hardware (sent from Raptor Racing). IIRC, only one high-collar washer was missing from the package. This part of the project included dropping and powder coating the subframe, replacing all bushings, installing TechnoToyTuning Tension Control Rods, welding in Raptor Racing rear camber brackets and installing the Ground Control weld-on front coilovers (twice!) among other tasks. Those familiar with the MKII Supra know that the rear wheels camber in significantly when the car is lowered. The camber brackets are designed to offset this tendency. Some suspension progress pics are included below:

Next came the Jim King BBK, front and rear, upgrade. I expected these brakes, in concert with my sticky Michelin PS2 tires and Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valve to enable Bella, a late 20th Century vehicle to stop as though she had been developed in the early 21st Century even though she has no ABS.

A modified dust shield shown on another MKII in the shop:

Brakes installed:

The Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valve deserves a story all by itself. The Jim King BBK is comprised of 4-piston Wilwood Dynalite calipers, front and rear, and 12.1 inch rotors, front and rear (fronts are thicker). Because the pad surface area and total swept are identical, front and rear, a proportioning valve, with two Wilwood Residual Pressure Valves, is recommended. Although a number of MKII owners have this brake upgrade, I could find only one that had installed the Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valve and Residual Pressure Valves. Unfortunately, we were never able to make contact with one another. No worries, though. Nestor figured it out and ran the most exquisite and elegant proportioning valve hard lines to my new, larger brake master cylinder. Take a peek:

While Nestor Rodriguez was busy with all of the above, I tried to figure out how to deal with a couple of cigarette burns on an otherwise excellent interior. Here are a couple of “before” pics of the cigarette burns:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to Roger who sent me a link, we discovered a company called Fibrenew. Apparently, franchises are sold by area and a quick internet search revealed the Fibrenew franchise owner for my area. After removing the seats and transporting them to my home, I gave the local Fibrenew guy a call and sent him an email as well. At his request, I also emailed him pics of the burns I wanted corrected if at all possible. He came to my home for the work and here are a couple of pics of him conducting his business:

After a little bit more than an hour, this is what the results looked like:

I always tell guys not to drop their motor if there is no need to do so. This avoids “mission creep” and the little devil in your mind telling you, “you might as well do________(fill in the blank) since you’re already in there”. In this case, I am only partially guilty for not taking my own advice, because Nestor pulled the motor before I even knew about it. I was impressed with the cleanliness and condition of the motor and wasn’t sure I wanted to pull it for various reasons. Well, as noted, the decision was made for me and, from there, things went from ease of parts installation to “we might as well paint the motor and clean up everything else while we’re doing it”. So, sinner that I am, we dived headlong into it. Yeah, the devil made me do it!

With my GReddy blue header, I decided to augment my overall theme of silver and black with touches of color-matched GReddy blue parts here and there. This included the camber plates, fuel rail, the end links to my LJM front tower bar and my blue NGK plug wires, of course:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
“While we were in there”, we had some bad fortune we turned into good fortune we would have not known about if we had not pulled the motor. The first problem was a stripped crank bolt I initially thought might require me to purchase a new crank. The second was a leaking transmission seal and the third issue was a worn clutch and a flywheel that needed resurfacing. Fortunately, we were able to successfully re-thread the crank bolt, clean and reseal the transmission and resurface the flywheel.

While Nestor was doing his thing, I focused my attention on three detail items I felt would really complete the car when all was said and done. Since I was more directly involved in this project than any that had preceded it, I took it upon myself to take care of a center arm rest that was in great condition, but the leather had separated from the hard bottom of the arm rest after being home to many elbows over the years. The second item involved painting the exposed, untreated metal on the valve covers to ensure they remain fresh looking over the years and the third item was the decision to zinc plate the cam gears and every bolt, clamp, cable and piece of tubing in the engine compartment to ensure they looked factory fresh. The zinc plating proved to be a HUGE hit among those that have already viewed the car in person.

To accomplish the tasks described above, I turned to three gentlemen I refer to as Old School Masters. One of the real joys of this resto-mod project was to meet and befriend three old timers, all of whom have been at their craft for over 60-years.

This is Henry “Toro” Torres, the long-time owner of “Upholsterers”, a small business located in Riverside, CA. Henry took my center arm rest, pulled the leather nice and tight, with just the right amount of tension, re-glued it and sent me on my way.

One of the things that has always bothered me about the 5M-GE valve covers was how they collected grease and grime over the years because of the exposed, untreated metal. The 5M-GE valve covers make the motor one of the most attractive ever and I wanted to take steps to ensure the motor remained fresh looking over the years. Eric Green had purchased new powder coated valve covers from Rabid Chimp before selling me the car, so the covers were in good condition to begin with. Because the time, expense and questionable effectiveness of masking the valve covers were out of the question, I turned to a free-hand painter whose business is just a few miles down the freeway from my home.

Richard McPeak is the owner of McPeak Pinstriping and opened his business in 1975. Although having driven past his business hundreds, if not thousands, of times over the years, I had never had occasion to call upon him. After speaking with him, he agreed to my request and I dropped off the valve covers one day earlier than scheduled. Because he had the time, Richard proceeded to paint and clear the exposed metal on the valve covers while I waited (and took the pics below). Given the questions I have received about my valve covers, I think it’s safe to say Richard’s work had the desired effect.

The third of the Old School Masters is Darrel Jensen, the owner of El Monte Plating in El Monte, CA. El Monte Plating has been in business at the same location for 68-years and Darrel has been working there for 60 of those 68-years. Darrel and his crew did all of the zinc plating I described earlier and the results are nothing short of outstanding as shown below.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One of the biggest challenges of this project was wheel/tire fitment. The 1982—1986 Celica Supra has two exceedingly difficult issues to overcome when attempting to specify a wheel/tire fitment that would allow me to accomplish my wheel/tire width, diameter and stance goals. The first of these is that the MKII has a reverse rake from the factory; that is to say, at stock ride height, the front end is higher than the rear. This problem is exacerbated by the difference in size between the front and rear flares and the 12 o’clock position of the front flares being noticeably higher than the 12 o’clock position of the rear flares. The second of these issues, which is just as thorny as the first, is the fact the front track is 1.2-inches wider than the rear track (57.9-inches front; 56.7-inches rear). This was an interesting factory set-up for a rwd car and, to properly address it, takes a bit of innovation, excellent welding/fabrication skills, a knowledgeable owner and a wheel manufacturer willing to partner with the owner of a car long since out of production. In Nestor Rodriguez, I had the best of the best, the basis for which I will detail later, and I know a little bit about wheel/tire fitment on lowered vehicles. The third component of this partnership was provided by Dan Young of CCW (Complete Custom Wheels) out of Daytona Beach, Florida. Dan was truly unbelievable in the customer service and support he provided throughout this months-long process, not knowing if I would throw up my hands at any moment and move on to something else. Even though there could have been no return on his investment in time and energy, he never wavered in providing me the knowledge and support I needed to consummate this part of the overall project.

Left unattended, the ride height and front/rear track issues almost always result in an aggressive front end and a weak sauce rear end. This is something I wanted to avoid from the outset and worked very hard to resolve while the overall program was being implemented. In fact, I wanted the rear track to be wider than the front and it was this desire, plus difficult-to-resolve fitment issues, that led me to my final decision regarding the fitment and offset of the front wheels. It helped that Mike Malloy, owner of CS.com and one of the most beautiful MKIIs in existence, had already blazed the trail for 18-inch wheels on the MA60 chassis. As a result, we used his set-up as a point of departure in determining a wheel/tire combo that would allow me to reach my goals. To make the most informed decision, and after many communications with [email protected], I agreed to purchase two wheels, with tires, for test fit purposes (one front and one rear). Once I was done with the test fit wheels/tires, had returned them to CCW and ordered a set of wheels/tires for the car, the cost of the test fit wheels/tires would be applied to the purchase price of the wheels/tires I eventually purchased for the car. I know what you’re thinking and, yes, it required a bit of commitment on my part to make this happen. All that said, I was only out the cost of shipping the test fit wheels/tires across country (twice) to ensure to the best of my ability that the wheels/tires I would truly own would fit the car as envisioned. The shipping cost was not an insignificant sum, but, at the end of the day, it bought me peace of mind regarding the wheel/tire specs I eventually selected.

So, after receiving the test fit wheels/tires, Nestor and I spent the better part of 2 ½ days fitting the wheels on an off the car, taking measurements, consulting with [email protected] and doing it all over again and again and again within those 2 ½ days. The initial specs on the test fit combo were an 18 x 9 inch +13 wheel up front on a 245/35/18 inch Michelin PS2 tire. The test fit combo in the rear was an 18 x 10.5 inch +6 wheel sitting on a 285/30/18 PS2. By necessity, the vast majority of our effort involved the front suspension and my desire to reach my front ride height goal. Nestor completed the welding and installation associated with the Ground Control weld-on front coilovers and, after much measuring, rolling the car around the shop and measuring again, I determined that, while the 18 x 9s could be made to fit, it was too close for comfort and it would likely be at the expense of my preferred ride height for the front of the car.

After Henry Torres' work on my center arm rest, it made my interior a bit more inviting for my new Momo Jet steering wheel, Raptor Racing S3 Short Shifter and my TRD shift knob:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I left the shop late on the second day of test fitting work, thinking we still had our work cut out for us. The next morning I called Nestor to discuss the matter with him once more and, to my utter surprise, he told me “I solved the problem”. Nestor’s shop is about 50-miles from my home, but I beat it up there once again to take a look and to take some more progress pics. By the time I arrived, the revised front suspension was already on the car with the test fit wheel also installed. I have no pics of the revised suspension because Nestor worked too quick for me, I was overcome with excitement and we still had another part of the problem to resolve. After much thought, and additional calculations, I decided to step down to a front wheel with a width of 8.5 inches, leaving the offset at +13. This enabled us to gain an additional quarter-inch clearance on both the suspension and front flare sides of the wheel. Plus, and this is important, it allowed me to get the slightly sunken in look I desired in the front and, even with a slight change in offset in the rear, made my rear track wider than the front. With the front suspension, wheels and tires enabling me to reach my ride height goal (in our minds), we turned our attention to the rear of the car and made two small changes.

You’ll notice from the pics above that the rear 285/30 tire has a slight stretched look on the 10.5-inch wheel. This is not a look I like in the least and for a 1980s vintage car is quite unseemly. After more measurements and discussion, Nestor and I determined there was enough room in the rear to fit a 295/30 tire. It didn’t take me too long to make this decision, because the 295/30 tire would eliminate the slight stretch and its overall diameter of 25.0-inches was about 2/10s of an inch taller than the front tire. This would enable me to add in a tad more rear-to-front rake and provide a bit more ride height flexibility up front as well. Plus, I have always been a sucker for fitting as wide a tire as possible, but within the body work, on my cars. To partially offset the 10 mm wider tire (5 mm per side), I stepped up the offset from +6 to +9 and had Nestor measure how much flare we could reasonably trim if needed.

After finalizing the specification, the last thing to do was to select the color of the wheels. I knew I wanted the wheels to be silver, but the wheels and colors on CCW’s official website have pics taken inside and it is difficult, sometimes, to get a real good idea of the colors being considered and how they will look outside in natural light. [email protected] again came to my rescue and made a 29-second video of four different colors, including three different silvers. Based upon this video, the color of my car and the fact I wanted a silver color to complement the OEM super silver, I selected Hyper Hyper Silver (yes, two hypers). Also, for the first time in my life, I had something chromed. Because I did not want the hassle of maintaining unprotected, polished lips, I decided to have the lips chromed because silver is a color that handles bling better than most, IMO. Once the wheels were completed, Dan sent me some pics of the final results:

After getting the above pics, a day later Dan sent me some pics of the wheels outside:

A pic I took after receiving the wheels and tires from CCW:

First pic of the wheel (s) on the car:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All along, I had intended to paint my car and this decision was confirmed and reconfirmed every time I saw Roger Reyes’ Lamborghini yellow MKII and Roger’s dad’s MKII, a car built and formerly owned by Nestor Rodriguez. All you really need to know about Nestor is that he is a one-stop shop Supra dynamo and here’s why. Amazingly, the 36-year old Rodriguez is a certified Toyota tech, a certified Lexus tech, a certified Mercedes Benz tech, a certified welder and a certified paint and body guy. In fact, the only things not directly accomplished by Nestor on my To-Do list outlined above were the refurbishing of my center arm rest, the zinc plating, the painting of the valve covers, the 4-wheel alignment and the welding of my Apexi 2.75 inch universal muffler to my Raptor Racing exhaust piping. Everything else was accomplished by one of the most amazing people I know. Here are some pics of the prep and paint work that resulted in one of the most amazing paint jobs I have ever seen:

After the prep work was complete, painting of my silver beauty finally began;

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After the painting was complete, reassembly began and, like everything else about this project, was quick, efficient and very effective:

In the home stretch:

Toyota did not anticipate 295 mm tires on the back of this car so a bit of trimming of the fuel filler shield was in order:

At the alignment shop getting a 4-wheel alignment (thanks to Carlos Brown for his input)

A few pics of the virtually completed engine bay:

NESTOR AND ROGER:

Without these two guys, none of this would have been possible. Without Roger, I would not have the car and, without Nestor, an AMAZING 3 ½ month build would not have been thinkable, let alone possible. As good and skilled as they are, they are even better people. I took the pics below as we were finishing up my car and putting some finishing touches on Roger’s yellow bullet and his dad’s Red Baron. These pics turned out to be prescient because these cars, all built by Nestor Rodriguez, with the truly specialized and able assistance of Roger, swept all three places in the 18th Annual ALL-TOYOTAFEST this past weekend in Long Beach, CA:

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have personally seen that supra a couple years ago, very happy it went to a respectful owner, SUPER CLEAN!, Eric is a great guy, and took very good care of it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOME PICS FROM THE 18TH ANNUAL ALL-TOYOTAFEST (courtesy of Dave Tanner):

--THE END--

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Wow you painted it too!!

This amazing effort and even better thread are legendary - nice work Ken. I need to see this car....

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
beautiful work Ken, im truly in awe!

your exquisite car is only outdone by your ability to tell a story and document this process.

kudos to you... thank you for helping to elevate our breed!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
nice work. i really like the plating you had done on your cam gears and other do-dads. excellent work. and those nice techno toy tuning suspension pieces...:zzzzz:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Just an impressive car, beautiful work and sounds like you met some great people along the way! Nothing brings people together like a good project!

1 - 20 of 155 Posts