Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm resealing the front/top of my engine and am using the DNJ (FGS9041) gasket set. This is the first time I've seen a metal gasket for a thermostat housing and didn't see any mention of such a thing when searching CS. I'm planning on using it like the metal cam tower gasket by spraying a little copper on it and bolting it up. See any reason this wouldn't work or shouldn't be done?

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
There is a reason that those gaskets are made of paper. To conform to the uneven surfaces. Aluminum expands at a very different rate than cast iron. ME? I'll say no to that metal gasket.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
when I last had the heads off I had the cam towers sealed, I had the machine shop put a thin coating of ultra gray Permatex on the metal cam tower gaskets before reassembly, not a leak yet. This is two aluminum pieces, with a higher tolerance for "flatness" but after notoriously leaking previously, this has seemed to address this issue. That said I used paper gaskets on the thermostat housing with the addition of red high tack spray gasket, also leak free. If I were to use a metal gasket on the t-stat I'd, consider a coolant grade sealer, Permatex blue or orange come to mind...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those seals are supposed to have a thin line of sealant applied, if it is just flat aluminum, it' a dud.
(Dave, the seal is between aluminum surfaces..)
Mine homemade of paper is leaking, I have to put some RTV silicone on it as well. The paper is supposed to expand a bit when exposed to water, I think I used an oil-type gasket.. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts