Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I was sitting at work today and the "back" button wasn't working, I began to go on one of my "Microsoft is shit" rants.

After always using Microsoft/Windows my whole life and hearing how good Mac's were I decided to pay the piper and bought a new MacBook. I, like many had grown accustomed to my PC "not responding" as well as a variety of other errors that seemed to have no meaning. The truth is, even with firewalls, antivirus, anti-spam, etc,...PC's just SUCK. My friend bought a brand new Sony Vaio not even 6 months ago and it is already near worthless- I used it and didnt make it thru 1 youtube video before it "unexpectedly" had to close and shut down.

Wow, what a difference. A computer that actually works. And works well. And, on top of that it came with "useful" programs and applications that I like, not the usual "crapware" that Microsoft/PC's are loaded with from the factory.

I can honestly say I will be Mac for life- after using it for several months and seeing how they work and are smarter in so many ways (possibly every way). Hell, the money I will save on antivirus will eventually make up for the extra cost of the Mac- I guess the saying holds true "you get what you pay for." Makes you laugh now when watching those Mac vs PC commercials--soooo true.

***Wondering if anyone else shares my opinion or has had this "awakening" and how much PC's BLOW.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
yep I was just as you were. Stuck on PCs. My brother bought a macbook pro and it just amazes me. So simple, so fast. The only downside is their price like you mentioned. But when I have the budget for another machine, I will be getting a macbook.

But it wasnt always like this, Apple has been doing a good job these days of pulling their socks up, they are making good machines.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
MacBook Pro user here. I will not buy another PC again. Ironically, 1 program will randomly crash on my Mac....and that's a MSFT product (Entourage, which I use for email) Go figure.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hm. I guess I'm still the guy who's stuck on pc's, but I have to say: when I graduated highschool 2 years ago, I got a pc while three of my friends got macs. The pc I purchased died about two months ago when the motherboard went (which was a known issue with the computer, and mine just happened to die a month after the recall expired), but I can't say I'm too terribly impressed with my friends mac performances as well. After I purchased my pc, it cost me absolutely nothing to maintain, while out of my three friends who purchased macs, only one of them still uses there original mac, and that one has required os upgrades to keep up with the current software, while my pc kept on chugging.

I recently purchased an ASUS laptop with very respectable specs and windows 7 for under a grand, and I absolutely love it. It runs circles around any of my friends computers, and there macs ran them waaaay more than this pc cost. Tbh, some of them have probably paid more for their first mac as I have for both of my laptops combined, and I'm still better off in my opinion.

Now I do enjoy tinkering with things, so when the occasional error does occur with my laptop, I quickly track down the culprit and download a new driver or whatever is necessary to fix the issue. I do believe that macs are generally more user friendly after the initial "getting used to the new interface" phase, but I think that for the money you can purchase a PC that will walk all over a comparable mac.

I'm not saying macs are worthless, I just believe they have their place. I find pc's more practical for what I do, so I'll stick to them.

Sidenote: In comparison, windows 7 blows vista away. If vista put a sour taste in your mouth, I think you should consider giving 7 a shot.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm on a Sony Vaio VGN-A190. It's 5 years old ($2400 back then) and runs and will continue to run Windows XP.

I spilled an entire cup of iced tea in this bad boy after getting an awesome kill in Halo 2 a few years back. Spun around in my chair and all I could do was watch. She shut down, I powered it up, it shut down, then wouldn't turn on. Picked it up, drained all the tea out, sat it on it's side and let it dry overnight.

Booted it up the next morning, the S.M.A.R.T failure appears after every restart or shutdown (supposed to signal a failing hard drive) but the only thing I've replaced is the sticky keyboard which costs me $60 and 5 minutes haha.

I'm getting a Dell desktop from the same time-period free, gonna format the harddrive and upgrade the RAM and she'll be set. I don't have many problems with Windows that I didn't cause myself. This Vaio needs a RAM upgrade too, still on stock 512, but other then that, no problems that weren't my doing. OH, and the stock disc drive has died, I just haven't ordered another one yet.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
PC's suck but do have some ups.. I only dual boot for the fact that I use pretty much every VBasic and every programming tool you could think of.. Some of the good ones are only available on windows..

Mac isn't my favourite i use it if I have too. I mainly run Linux OS which is still based off the same stuff.

Sounds like some of you have had hardware issues, but that isn't necessarily the OS fault.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I dual platform. I've built up several PC's but my everyday comp is my Macbook. It's 1 1/2 old and it's still pretty fast. My PC's are mainly for games and media. I run XP Pro and will not run Vista, but I could give 7 a try. The main reason that I use a Mac is because of it's stability. In the time I've had this one, I can't think of any time that it's frozen or given me any kind of problem. It's VERY battery efficient, even now. I can get 4-5 hours of work time easy. When I go to school I don't take my charger at all, and by the time I get back home, I still have at least half battery life left. The PC on the other hand (desktop) is quite cheap to modify and upgrade. The last one I built didn't cost me more than $1000 and it was pretty much exactly what I wanted. That comp has been rebuilt and upgraded at least 3 times. The other one doesn't go on any outside network so as to not have any anti-virus to slow it down. It's my Media Server hooked to the TV. :thumbsup: It was built from spare parts and 3 hard drives , 1TB each.

If I was to choose 1 of the 2, it would depend on what i was doing. Gaming or Working.
Gaming - PC, Working - Mac

·
Registered
515 Posts
Now this is my kind of thread!
I've been a Mac user for the past 4 years or so, and STILL use the same MacBook (now running the latest 10.6.2) that converted me from PC to Apple.

While I would like to get some more processing power, I had to drop all the saved up computer money towards my car when the 5m blew.
Now I'll be saving up for a new iMac.
I wont go into details, but it's a STEAL of a deal at it's new price tag of $1200 (or $1100 if you're a student)

Apple offers tons of great "out of the box" programs as they like to call them, and offer many amazing media editors i.e. Final Cut Pro, Motion, Sound Track Pro, or my favorite program being Aperture.

I've never been disappointed with my MacBook or iPhone, and as mentioned above... you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
:34: my pc sucks big time, but i just use it to surf the net, any special programs, it does the job so far, but will buy me a notebook sooner or later, just depends on budget.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess it depends on the user too. Some computer gurus and more "tech types" who enjoy spending (to me "wasting") time looking for plug ins, virus solutions and drivers to upgrade and just make their pc work is fine for them I guess...

But to me I want something that works and works well when I use it. Not to mention that I was shocked that I can/have actually use/d 90% or better of all the "stuff" the Mac comes with.

My other buddy is the same way- he claims to enjoy all of the wonderful complexity and customizing/piecing together you can do with PC's.

Not me. Although I do have a techy/nerd side- I don't have the time or desire to figure out/research/modify PC bullshit. I guess with my lifestyle (and patience level) I want it to work and work well-every time. I dont want to spend money on something just for it to get all fucked up because I have to look up and figure out why the xt32RR5c error keeps showing up and shutting my computer down.:32:

I'll save my small patience reserves and tech/nerd side for figuring out how to tune the damn MK2 7m- that's hard enough :laugh:

·
Registered
990 Posts
The biggest issue with PCs is viruses, malware, etc... No matter what the virus protection some always slip through and wreak havoc on the OS. As I see it, the hackers go after the masses, which are PCs. If Apple ever catches up to the number of PC units sold then the hackers will go after them as aggressively as they have the PCs and the MACs with be just as venerable. I wish every GD hacker would get multi-year prison sentences! They cost individuals and companies millions of dollars each year and create mistrust throughout.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The biggest issue with PCs is viruses, malware, etc... No matter what the virus protection some always slip through and wreak havoc on the OS. As I see it, the hackers go after the masses, which are PCs. If Apple ever catches up to the number of PC units sold then the hackers will go after them as aggressively as they have the PCs and the MACs with be just as venerable. I wish every GD hacker would get multi-year prison sentences! They cost individuals and companies millions of dollars each year and create mistrust throughout.
I don't know much about viruses, or how they are created... but I thought Macs are impervious to viruses because their OS is Unix based?

Then again, anything is possible...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i too, believe that it depends on what you use the applications for, gaming or work. i've been pc all my life and am happy with it. I build my own systems now, and just like my car, i have a personal attachment to it, seeing as it is something i put time and money in to, and is something i can easily upgrade and what not at any given time. i only like mac for 3 reasons, final cut, it is virus free, and the screen resolution is the best! other than that i see the mac as an expensive platform that can't be upgraded (usually or at least i think) and if you're not gonna do digital graphics/illustration, video(as most of my colleagues do) adobe photoshop, as an example, it just an expensive mac netbook. however if you also want stability free surfing, that's cool too.
i use my built pc for photoshop, video rendering, internet, and mild gaming. for travel i have an asus netbook that i upgraded to 320gb on 2gb ram and both machines run flawlessly on windows 7!
although you can also dual boot using Boot Camp on a mac, which will allow you the choice of either going into a windows os, or mac, as another benefit, but recently i heard you can also do that with a custom built machine, but that's more reading, reasearching, and inexperience in that area on my part.
i'm just working and living within my budget and for my money, i'm still pc.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My money is in cars. The only Apple I can afford is edible. I am bewildered by the choices in firewalls, anti virus, etc...... Any simple advice on a cheap solution would be appreciated.
PS: I know what some of you guys think about cheap, so please, no lectures. My budget is my budget.......period.
PSS: This computer was free, and I paid 700 for my Supra.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
For all my clients(I partly run a computer business called 4byte4.com) I use a program called avg. It is active in the background and has excellent protection, without hogging a bunch of resources. www.free.avg.com. I have been more then happy with it for years, and gets very high scores on all the testing done against virus/malware/adware.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've used Avast Antivirus for a long time now. Free to use, just update the serial each year or so.

I've never had a virus I didn't put on the computer myself. Even before I used Avast and ran without an Antivirus I wouldn't get them. I guess it was because of the websites I visited. I put a virus on the computer on purpose one time to go and get it off. Had to use Safe Mode and all that, it was fun actually haha.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a baller water cooled VAIO. It's crashed more times than I can recall. I usually only use it for AutoCAD or modeling in Inventor or MasterCAM.

I have a Mac laptop which I've owned for about 4 years now and it has never crashed; not once. In fact, I run boot camp and Win XP Pro SP3 on it (in addition to OS X) and haven't had Windows crash.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a mac G4 powerbook which is over 6 years old and still runs great, i mean it is starting to get a little slow with photoshop CS2 but i've never had a virus or any problems with it, I've also dropped it once and it's got a nice dent in the corner of it. it's also gotten a bottle of water spilled on it which messed up the screen a little but about a week later the screen slowly went back to normal and is fine now. So i'd have to say i've gotten my money's worth even if it was a lot up front (2k)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a mac G4 powerbook which is over 6 years old and still runs great, i mean it is starting to get a little slow with photoshop CS2 but i've never had a virus or any problems with it, I've also dropped it once and it's got a nice dent in the corner of it. it's also gotten a bottle of water spilled on it which messed up the screen a little but about a week later the screen slowly went back to normal and is fine now. So i'd have to say i've gotten my money's worth even if it was a lot up front (2k)
Yeah amen to that! I've definitely spilled a few beers on my macbook and have thrown it [I think] twice during arguments with the 'former' and it's still running great.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts