Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
You're a little off.
The MacBook comes in one model. Sells for $999
The most expensive factory spec MacBook Pro is: $2499
Ownage? Idk, that depends on the needs of the customer. You left out a lot of features that the Macbook Pro has over an equally powered competitor.
When I was shopping for my laptop, 17'' screen was important because I wasn't super biased towards having an ultra light, portable, laptop. I wanted more of a high end gaming/video watching-editing machine. There is ONE (1) Macbook that I can see that has the 17'' screen, Macbook Pro for $2600 STARTING price. I believe I got a better machine, and with the change I could have bought a 1080p 50'' LCD TV, and had a few hundred change.

Also, I left out a lot of things an equally powered PC has.. For instance, my PC has room for a second hard drive, plug and play. That's very cool.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
LOL...I'm supposed to be getting some work done but got too entertained by this thread. I've been so f'n busy lately that I haven't been around much.

I should post a screenshot of my Dell laptop running Linux with BOTH OSX 10.5.5 and WinBloze XP as virtual machines on the same screen. :D I've run Linux for 10 years and am very happy with it. Is it perfect? No. But I don't have virus/malware issues, bugs get fixed quickly, and if I do want to change something I can recompile the source code myself.

Is it POSSIBLE to have a virus on a Linux or Mac system? Yes. But they're a lot harder to code because of the inherent file structure - read/write/execute permissions are part of the file structure, so an unauthorized program generally won't run at all unless someone has gotten root on the system.

I can run as many servers as I want and it costs me nothing other than a bit of time and the cost of some cheap hardware. You can make as many copies of Linux as you want, legally, without having to worry about "activation", serial numbers/keys, etc. I guess the only downside is that if you have a question, you have to learn to use Google or some other decent Web search engine. ;)

Linux developers aren't in bed with the Hollywood studios, so I can play any content I want and don't have to worry about copy-protection and other limitations on watching/listening to content I have paid for (as opposed to both iTunes and Windows, with their damn DRM schemes). Check out the MythTV project as another example. I'm running it and love it.

I have dealt with Microsoft for years...going back to MS-DOS 1.0 for my Heathkit machine back in '83. I have friends I went to high school with back in the '70s who work there (or have in the past: Nathan Myhrvold was in my class). I have never been terribly impressed with their operating systems. XP is finally to the point where it's relatively stable/functional, after 7-8 years and three service packs; Vista was a botched abortion, 7 looks better but haven't played with it long enough to say how much so.

I do have to admit, though, that I have to respect some non-directly-computing related stuff they're doing. Another friend of mine from high school is a doctor, who works for Microsoft in their medical research department - they're working on an AIDS vaccine.

As far as Macs go - OSX is a great piece of software, based on FreeBSD but with a really nice user interface, and things really do "just work" - and as with other *nix based OSes, it's stable. A Mac with a big monitor is a thing of beauty. But you have do things Apple's way, or no way. I don't like being limited in that way. You shouldn't have to "jailbreak" your iPhone to use all its capabilities, and it should be easy to change the battery. ;) My phone is a Droid, BTW, which runs the Android OS (Linux, kernel 2.6.29).

So...I'll stick with Linux. And, I actually do have a life. :D It's much easier than it used to be. Check out the Ubuntu distribution for a very painless-to-install and maintain OS. BTW, I have several friends with Macs who run BOTH Linux and Mac OSX on them ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hate it or love it!

The "iSlate"
Projected to be announced some time mid to late Jan. 2010.
Projected to be priced at $700-$900

"Three sizes dominate rumors, tied to the size of panels produced by display manufacturers: 7 inches, 9.6 (or 9.7) inches, and 10.6 inches." (I read of a possible OLED :drooling:)

"The Financial Times and Reuters both say it's 10 inches. So does our insider."
"Whatever the exact size, they say, it has "7x the touchable surface area" as the iPhone"

Let's just stick with bigger than an iPhone, but smaller than a MacBook."

"Our insider said that Apple's been working on it for 4-6 years, and that the first prototype of the current version was developed in 2008"

"Perhaps the most important question of all: What's it actually like?
Well, it depends on the OS. iPhone OS 3.1 had clear traces of new Apple iProducts, and some people say it's a bigass iPod touch, or at least running iPhone OS, which sorta fits with iPhone app developers supposedly being asked to make higher res versions of their apps for demonstration. It apparently fits in with the iTunes remodeling Apple's got going on."

Perhaps my favorite quote of them all...
"The final word comes from Steve Jobs who said "we don't know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk.""
http://gizmodo.com/5434566/the-exhaustive-guide-to-apple-tablet-rumors

·
Registered
77 Posts
haha i know ryan i am joshin ya...and yeah dude as for the cam cover...my friend appears to have lost interest as i have heard nothing more about it as of late...she had all the tools and supplies and was her initial idea so i am afraid it will not go through....though we do have a perfectly fine mold sitting in the garage now...btw when did you want to meet up so we could trade the car parts? i would love the old wheels and tires again and i have an ecu and water pump with your name on it. lemme know man.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts