Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 40 Dragway opens Today!!! About 2 o'clock this afternoon. I'm bringing the supra out to run if I can get my oil leak fixed this morning. Anyone else wanna come out and have some fun?

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

You jinxed me too. wa ta hell? lol. I blew it up, but it was just a head gasket luckily.

So now I have a quest for traction, and a quest for an affordable mls head gasket. fyi...flattening the tires doesn't seem to increase traction

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
I didn't mean to jinx you at all!
Gotta turn down the boost just a little.
Especially for the 1/8th mile.
Yeah,the tires were screaming in pain.

Nice to see that your family went to go with Dad to see him at the I-40,but sorry for the BHG.:sadsmilie

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a brand new full gasket set from the back seat of a supra in the junk yard today for only 20 bux, fel-pro brand...Its a composite head gasket, but its the sturdy one with the steel core, so maybe it'll last me a few races. :) Talk about some luck, and a blessing.

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went to the track today and changed the head gasket, and the oil. It turns out I had it tuned way too hot! Blew 4 cylinders into the water jacket! At each failure point you could tell it was a hot spot. I think I'm going back to 440's cause It was running a bit lean. I richend the afm setting back to only 4 clicks and retarded the timing a little but No damage to any pistons. I found out it still has the factory, dome pistons in it. One piston did have what looked to be a tiny 1 square millimeter chunk missing on the side, but who knows if it was like that before...when the head gasket was changed last time...
Anyway, she runs again! Gonna drop the pan and clean the bearings, flush out the turbo, and put fresh oil in again, swap back to the 440's, and she'll be going back to the track! I also think I figured out a way to make a set of traction bars so...Got some more work to do.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
You are a high-speed rebuilder!
3-4 days? After that much damage? Really?
"I got it too hot?"
Must have been REALLY hot and had a bunch of boost,too.

Yeah,I know you will get The Millenium Falcon to fly again,Captain Solo.

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, we drove it from the track to the house today. It didn't get much past halfway when I caught it. It just blew at the bore ring on the gasket, deformed it and allowed it to blow through the water jacket. It wasn't too hot temp wise, just tune wise. My wife and I fixed it in about 4 hours today, from start to finish. I have no idea how much boost is being pushed

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I noticed I had a loud grinding, knocking sound. Sounded just like a diesel that was about to fly apart. Out of curiosity I pulled the transmission. I found that the flywheel had came loose at the race track. I thought I had torqued them, apparently I was wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts