Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new MK2 owner and I was wondering what does everyone consider "high mileage"? Some people get freaked out when they hear that mine has 120k.

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Gabe 120K miles or Kilometers??

Maintenance is the key, a car can have low miles say 65,000 miles but never maintained needing lots of work

Versus

A car with 120,000 miles maintained spot on and needing NO work...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200k kms, so roughly 120k miles. Yea that's what I was thinking also, I was just wondering what everyone thinks. This car was maintained very well and he drove it from BC to California a couple of times also. So lots of highway hours.

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Gabe I would say less than average easily!! Being that well maintained and garaged is awesome!! You have a gem!!

My '86 Ive owned since '88 has 159K miles daily driver is in just good condition...needs paint, seats but is maintained very well...

Reactions: gabessupra

·
Super Moderator
8,313 Posts
It's almost a 40 year old car so that is like 3-4k a year which is reasonable for a weekend car all those years. Condition trumps mileage every time, unless you can get both. If you have both then you really have something special.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How many of those miles and how much of that maintenance was recent though? Hoses, belts, tires, seals, fluids, etc go bad from sitting or with minimal driving for extended periods. Car looks sharp though!

·
Founding Member
6,367 Posts
What was "average" was that they reached 150K to 200K back in the late 90s and by then were either rusted out (in the snowbelt), baked to a crisp (in the sunbelt), but usually what put them off the road was that they suffered a mechanical failure that would cost more than the car was worth to repair. Very few were maintained well enough to keep going past 200K (kudo's to those) and fewer still racked up less than 100K under unusual circumstances. Sounds like yours was limited by being stored during long Canadian winters and the fact it was purchased new by a middle-aged adult compared to the typical 21 to 30 year old sports car consumer.

But in terms of value, yes, condition is generally far more important than mileage, especially on a car like the Supra because its near impossible to find parts to restore one. However, the exponential effect on price as mileage dips below 100K miles should be explained. Why would anyone pay $35,000 for an old Supra with under 50K miles? Originality! A car with that low a mileage probably hasn't been touched by tools except to change the fluids. Collectors go nuts for that. For most people, its hard to imagine, but having the radiator hose spring clamps oriented exactly as they left the factory is the kind of detail that high-value collectors obsess over.

You are actually in that sweet spot that most of us envy. You don't have so low a miles that you might feel guilty about racking up a lot more and destroying that originality and losing value. Conversely, you're also still way below the mileage that most mk2 Supras died at and so you don't have as much risk of wearing out or breaking some impossible to find part. You can seriously put another 50K to 80K on it without too much worry. Wanna put custom wheels on it or a header? Go right ahead (but save the original parts and don't cut or drill anything).

The only thing I'd warn is to be careful with all the plastic, rubber and vinyl components because they are crispy with age. Don't let your kids slam the doors. If you need to work on something, carefully tease electrical connectors apart. If you don't know how a clip unclips, post here to ask first and don't force it. That sort of thing. Yes, we're all envious. You got lucky.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Yep, from the other thread, that car seems in very good condition.
Yes we know what they looks like, but we still like pictures, lots of them!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a new MK2 owner and I was wondering what does everyone consider "high mileage"? Some people get freaked out when they hear that mine has 120k.
My 1985 has more miles than that, close to 190k (miles). When I took the cam covers off to powder coat them in original wrinkle, as the paint had gotten tired, the cams were pristine, as in no scratches, wear, discoloring or any signs that they weren’t brand new. I’m a nut about maintenance, but the Japanese steel from this era was darned near indestructible. Oh, and I have original brake pads too. I purchased genuine Toyota replacements at about 100k but the car is so wonderfully balanced at the proportion valve set so perfectly that the pads just don’t wear much. Originality on this car is worth respecting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a similar experience as Ed, when my emerg. brake was deemed a bit high by the MOT, I ordered new shoes . When I opened the rear brakes, I think the originals were 0.5mm thinner than the new ones.. No replacement, just adjusting.. :p
I have replaced both front and rear rotors and pads, but that was when I got it from my dad @ about 170k km in '97. It has now run 225' km. The old ones were actually quite nice, it was more of a preventive thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts