Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I had a motorway knock the other day in a queue, I was going about 20mph and she must have been going only slightly slower, I was daydreaming and just sailed into the back of her.
I'm now looking at repairing the damage on my car and am hoping for some hints. Heres some pictures.

As you can see, her car has ridden up on my bumper, and pushed the slam panel back a little bit, strangely only on the drivers side.

Also you can see that its bent the bumper a little bit.

What I need to know is
What you would suggest I do about straightening out the slam panel, and
What would you suggest doing about the bumper? Its not obvious to anyone other than me but I do want to straighten it out. Is it steel underneath?
Hope this should be easy to fix. I need cheering up quickly!
Cheers

·
Registered
348 Posts
You could always tie a rope around the bumper, then the other end to a tree, throw it into reverse, and yank it out. However, if you don't like visiting your chiropractor, remove the affected parts, and work them with a hammer and dolly until they are close enough to meet your standards.

I've found that the best way to deal with things of this nature is to pull the parts off to see exactly what you're dealing with, then do your best to remedy the problem with the tools you have - your mind and a hammer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Funny that cars likes kissing other cars.

Thats its second front panel, i've got the old one behind my Shed if you want it Jim. (Although you've done a lot less damage).

Unfortuately I haven't got a spare, but give me a shout and i'll help you sort something out (Not involving trees though!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Stu, cool, I'm gonna see what I can do with this one in the way of straightening it, and the bumper. Just give me a dry warm weekend! Any ideas on decent places that are local to get some paint mixed up?

I can't keep up with you, hows many supras have you got now then?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
you 'should' only have to straighten out the header panel. the bumper screws into the header panel, which i think is pulling on the bumper now that its bent. i would fix that and go from there. there is also the possibility the the metal frame that house the fog lights and grill got bent as well.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The plastic bumper material will return to original shape/position with a bit of heat ONCE STRESS IS RELIEVED. Don't over-do it. Sunshine on a hot day provides enough heat. There is a rigid foam impact-absorbing insert under the plastic bumper cover, backed up by a heavy rigid steel bar that is undamaged by the looks of things. Hardest part of the repair is accessing the 2 nuts that fasten the header panel to the fender (wing?) at each end.

Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plastic bumper material will return to original shape/position with a bit of heat ONCE STRESS IS RELIEVED. Don't over-do it. Sunshine on a hot day provides enough heat. There is a rigid foam impact-absorbing insert under the plastic bumper cover, backed up by a heavy rigid steel bar that is undamaged by the looks of things. Hardest part of the repair is accessing the 2 nuts that fasten the header panel to the fender (wing?) at each end.

Bob

Hmm. How would you get to them? I can't seem to get access, even when I rotate the headlights. I think you are right. I should be able to straighten it out, But i can't get it off!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I found an interesting thread on minor dents and dings:
http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply

I've personally never tried the dry ice method, but it makes sense, especially if the ambient air temperature is high (which is unlikely in UK, esp. in fall) and not too big a ding. On the sub bumper panel it's gonna take a more muscle... :ugly_08:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Remove parts, starting with the black headlite surround/shroud, until you can get a 1/4" drive 10mm socket on a long extension onto the bolt heads. Might help if the extension is one of those 'wobble' type. It's tight but it can be done.

Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That dry ice method sounds interesting, but of course, if it works, it would only do so on panels. I'm not convinced anyway.. hmm. Interesting theory all the same. Anyone tried it?

I did get to the bolt today when I took out the indicator and the fog lamp, but in the end I managed to starighten it enough to be reasonably satifised with leaving it as is. I do need to do some respray/touching up of a few bits though, as you can see from the photos. Now, where to get the right paint. Hmmm..

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Remove parts, starting with the black headlite surround/shroud, until you can get a 1/4" drive 10mm socket on a long extension onto the bolt heads. Might help if the extension is one of those 'wobble' type. It's tight but it can be done.

Bob
I've also done it by removing the fog light and turn signal light, and the foglight bracket. Then you can get your hand behind the grill through the light openings, and use 1/4" ratchet, extension, tiny u-joint, and 10mm socket. When putting the bolts back in, it helps for future repairs to coat the bolt threads with anti-seize or grease. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts