Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I shut my engine off after a hot 70 km highway run and when I started it back up its was misfiring like crazy! Does this have anything to do with that heat soak problem Supra's are known for. After 2 mins of revving it, the car ran great again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 85 does the same thing I guess it's a problem with most supra I heard it has to do with the way fuel lines are ran. the heat from the engine sorta causes the fuel to vaporize in the line instead of the throttle body

·
Registered
572 Posts
My 85 does that also, my guess is that it gets vapor lock, thats were the fuel in the fuel lines gets hot and evaporates into vapor and I'm guessing you can figure out what happens when it trys to spray fuel and just fumes come out.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
My 86 did the exact same thing. Replaced the thermo timimg switch IIRC on the thermostat housing and/or clean the EGR. Seemed like the EGR valve was sticking causing it to miss. AND would clear after revving +/- 2k rpms.

Hosam said:
Hey guys,

I shut my engine off after a hot 70 km highway run and when I started it back up its was misfiring like crazy! Does this have anything to do with that heat soak problem Supra's are known for. After 2 mins of revving it, the car ran great again.

·
Registered
591 Posts
yes, the 5m has that heat soak problem and that is what it is. you can try putting some insulation around the lines but it's not gonna hurt anything it's just an inconvinience. i have a freind that added a secondary cooling fan that would turn off about 120 degrees so it kept cooling the engine even after he turned the car off and it fixed it. mine has never done it before tho.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That must be it!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the insightful replys. I think its a combination of heat soak and egr valve sticking. Its not the first time this happened. And it does go away after revving past 2K.

Hosam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts