Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Missed it by that much... Toyota oem parts

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  SupraFiend 
#1 ·
#2 ·
People keep trying to tell me to be happy, that we are next. Well, it's an experimental thing, so there's no gurantee on anything. And it's quite apparent that Toyota likes to shuffle their feet on things so I just wonder if there will be any cars left to restore by the time they get around to us

#3 ·
I'll believe it when I see it for the MKII.

#4 ·
With "original" mk4 turbos knocking on six figures, it starts to make sense that they could sell a set of taillight lenses for $1,000 each or more. How many of us would be willing to pay $2,000 for a pair of taillights? It'd have been different if the mk2 had sold half a million a year like Mustangs and Camaros, but we're sort of in the middle, neither high volume nor high value. Maybe to the extent that we can share parts with the Celica and XX, maybe they'll do the window belt mouldings someday, but I won't hold my breath for specifically mk2 parts.

#5 ·
^^ Yep. :)

#6 ·
If any car needs restoring, it would be the Mk II. We need to parts more then MK IV. People stop driving Mk IV these days for it's collectivity. I drive my Mk II daily. I buy cars to drive, not to worship. I hope one day California will exclude 1985 cars from smog so I can swap in a modern engine. One can do it now by I heard it is very difficult to pass the inspection.

#8 ·
Now that's because some executive at Toyota owns one, probably took it vintage racing and crunched his gearbox, NOT because they think they'll make a profit selling any.

Reactions: Whitey482
#13 ·
I'm curious how they choose the parts they did. Mk3 propeller shafts and Mk4 brake booster seem like an odd choice IMO. I wonder if there is some Toyota execs car that needs these parts....

Honestly I would take anything they could get. Even one part would be exceptional. If they brought something back like the dash pad would be exceptional IMO. Hell it would be nice if they could just crack open the record books and say what they built originally. That probably wouldn't cost anything, but would generate good will.

#14 ·
I'm curious how they choose the parts they did. Mk3 propeller shafts and Mk4 brake booster seem like an odd choice IMO. I wonder if there is some Toyota execs car that needs these parts....
That's what I figured. Most of manufacturing was originally set up to produce minimum production runs of dozens or perhaps hundreds. In some cases, it would be very difficult if not impossible to scale back to make only one item using the original tooling or processes. Or they might have to order a minimum amount of raw materials. Since that's the only way the VIP is going to get one part for his own car, they created GR Heritage just to sell off the excess. It's not going to make a profit. We just have to hope that some Toyota executive or Toyoda family member gets nostalgic for a mk2 someday soon and that all he can find for sale are total beaters in need of complete restoration. ;)

#15 ·
We'll see. I can see this expanding, they are really doing it just to stay competitive with their competition and its become trendy. Nissan is doing it with Z and GTR stuff. But it's a good sign, Japanese cars have finally earned respect as classics so it lends credibility to manufacturers who support their classic models. This is something Porsche, Ferrari and Mercedes have known and done for decades.

I was surprised they offered any mk3 stuff to be honest, that might have just been a bit if lip service to sell more new Supras. After the mk4, which was the obvious choice, the sw20 should have been next, followed by the AE86 then 70s Celica. I would put us about on par with the Celica Altracs and mk1 MR2 to be honest, so could be a long time, or never before we see anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.