Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
'85 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed this had electric tape on it and came loose while I was working on other things

will be looking for replacement availability once I work out identification

black and green wire

thank you in advance and yes I will be looking too just appreciate everyone's expertise

sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it's on the thermostat which I wonder if I should also go ahead with replacing as well

sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The brown coloured part closest to the block is the Start Injector Time Switch. It acts like a choke, enriching the mixture during start up for a few seconds. It closes the path to the cold start injector.
The green coloured part is the Water Temperature Sensor for the ECU. It helps determine efi duration depending on the water temperature.

It looks like it's the wiring harness connector that has broken, not the switch itself.

Auto part Cable Electronics accessory Metal Electrical supply

Dale

Reactions: JCC

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brown coloured part closest to the block is the Start Injector Time Switch. It acts like a choke, enriching the mixture during start up for a few seconds. It closes the path to the cold start injector.
The green coloured part is the Water Temperature Sensor for the ECU. It helps determine efi duration depending on the water temperature.

It looks like it's the wiring harness connector that has broken, not the switch itself.

View attachment 21506

Dale
thank you

now wanting to make sure these connections are okay in case it has something to do with the car not wanting to start

the one that seems to be missing the connector and is wires only will need to be secured better

sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have my multimeter with me today.

do you think polarity matters on these two wires?

sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think the connector location does matter because this is a 3 connector sensor with the ground going through the sensor body. I would make sure I got the connectors back on the original pins.STJ is switched to ground. STA provides heat to the timer

Dale

Reactions: 4SFED and JCC

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the connector location does matter because this is a 3 connector sensor with the ground going through the sensor body. I would make sure I got the connectors back on the original pins.STJ is switched to ground. STA provides heat to the timer

Dale
previous owner must have had it rigged on there somehow, but I only see two connections: black wire and green wire

should I find a new wiring harness with the connector or splice a new connector on?

sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You can get a connector with pigtail quite easily from NAPA and other places. I’ll dig up the info later

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I haven't checked to see if they stock these, but they have them listed.

NAPA - Fuel Injector Connector

Automotive lighting Cable Rectangle Electric blue Event

This is a TE Connectivity Type B connector in black. This one comes pre-wired with two white wires that you can splice in place to your harness.

Cylinder Metal

The only thing that is missing is the rubber boot that makes the connector water resistant.
You can pick them up at a lot of places, but an electronics supply house like Digi-Key or Mouser will stock thousands of them.

Digi-Key 2-Pin Connector Boot
US$2.44 each.

Gas Audio equipment Cable Plumbing Tap

Most of the original boots have rotted off years ago so you will have problems when you get water in the connector.
You can tape the top of the new boot to the wiring harness and the lower part slips over the funnel part of the connector and viola, instant water resistance!

The colour of the connector does NOT match. The CSI Timer connector should be brown to match the colour of the sensor connector. The Coolant Temperature sensor on the thermostat housing right beside it uses the same style connector, so it's possible to switch them accidentally. The Coolant Temperature connector should be green. Oh well...
If you want, you could paint the connector brown, otherwise just be careful to not take both of these connectors off at the same time.

There is a newer version of these connectors available which are actually a FAR better connector, but I worry that they may not fit in the limited spaces available.
The locking wire has been improved so you can take the connector off without losing the lock wire.

FiveO MotorSports - EV1 Female Pigtails
Cable Auto part Wire Tool Electronics accessory

These come with everything made up. You just have to splice the wire onto the harness. The price is right too. $6.95 USD
The lock wire and ears on the bottom of this connector may be a tight fit on the thermostat housing. This would be my primary concern with these.
The extended wire lock makes taking these connectors off a breeze.

As has been mentioned before, if you buy just the shell and boot without the connectors, there is a very good chance you can remove the connectors from the original crispy housing and just insert them into the new ones. This means NO soldering, crimping or splicing.

Arm Human body Body jewelry Gesture Jewellery

Personally, I would replace the connectors. After 40 years, the tin-plated connectors may not make the best connections any more.

I'm sure there are other options out there as well, but I'm SURE your car will run better with a shell to hold and protect the pins.

Dale

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Here are the connector details as found in the Toyota TSRM and the Toyota EWD

Product Font Parallel Rectangle Brand

Organism Font Art Rectangle Pattern

I find it difficult finding details scattered all over, so hopefully this is all the necessary information in one spot.

Dale

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts